Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lemming
    • Jul 2002

Grainy Movies with divx 5

Not sure whats going on but anything thats encoded with divx 5 codec looks really grainy. Anyone have any ideas?
  • Lemming
    • Jul 2002

Here are some examples

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

Ugh. could'nt you have compressed these files as gif or jpeg ?.
      And use Alt-PrintScreen, instead of Ctrl-PrintScreen, when you do screen capture.

Looks like your video Overlay is not working properly. Try changeing you desktop colordepth from 24 to 32 or visa versa.

Or try using hardware overlay with divx5, in wmp6.4 select file->properties->advanced->'Divx Decoder filter'->properties->'Quality Settings' and check extended overlay mode.

Or try updating the drivers for your graphics card.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• benedict
        Lord of the 4th Estate
        • Jun 2002

Could be as simple as over-compression.

Using the "1-pass quality based" tab on that codec, I start getting graininess at about 80%. Not too bad, but still noticable. 85% seems to be minimum level to avoid that, and that level still offers a pretty decent compression.

Of course, all that assumes that your input video came from a copy by you or another. If it came from a store copy, I would have to doubt that this was the problem.

Interesting wallpaper, by the way.
        Last edited by benedict; 8 Jul 2002, 01:08 AM.
        It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

Working...