Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kixnare
    • Dec 2001

DivX on a Powerbook

Excuse me for being a total beginner, but I can not get any DivX movies to play on my PowerBook. I've tried both Quicktime Player and Windows Media Player, and also downloaded the OpenDivX.component and placed it in the extensions folder.

No heavy editing here, just want to watch the DivX movies on my Powerbook.

Thanks
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

From the documentation for the Mac Divx Player:

"The DivX Player requires Microsoft Media Player 6.3

How does it work?

Make sure Microsoft Windows Media Player 6.3 is installed (you can download a copy on http://mac.divx.st/download/ ). Open the DivX Player, you will be asked to locate the Windows Media Player on your hard disk. After that you get a dialog box so you can locate a DivX movie and play it.

IMPORTANT: DivX Player *ONLY* works with Windows Media Player 6.3 it does NOT work with Windows Media Player 7.

Most DivX files are created using MP3/WMA audio. You will need to use the DivX Doctor option in the Movie menu to convert these files into a format your Macintosh can correctly play.

Can I play DivX movies with the QuickTime Player?

Yes, you will need to leave the DivX Player open in order for QuickTime Player to use the DivX Decoding services, then simply open your Doctored .mov in QuickTime Player. You may need to allocate more memory to QuickTime Player"

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• kixnare
      • Dec 2001

Alright, here we go. This worked well (the Microsoft link didn't work though). But it was a long way! The file that it saved using AudioDoctor, is it only a sound file? It was much smaller that the movie, so I guess it's a audio track only.

I understand DivX is better implemented in OsX, isn't that right? I hope so, it shouldn't be this hard watching a DivX movie.

Thank you very much

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Since I'm not a Mac user, I'm afraid I can'rt provide you with much additional information. I believe this board is posted to predominantly by PC users. You might want to check out the forum at 3ivx.com - but brace yourself for a lot of arrogant posters ;>}

Comment

Working...