Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mech303
    • Jul 2002

An odd Audio Problem

I was fooling around with some of the services in Win XP Pro, just following the guides on Black Viper's site, at the same time I was playing a Critic episode on Windows Media Player.

When the episode finished I went to change it and when I did almost no sound came out. Only a small portion of the base came out, and I mean very little.

Now I don't think it had to do with my fooling around with the services for a few reasons. First off being that even though I was setting some to manual and others to disabled I didn't actually stop a process from running, I merely stoped it from doing the same next time. I also don't believe it was the services fault because I read the read more tags on BV's site before I changed anything, and nothing I changed had the words aound or audio in it. I also have another reason, but I will get to that later.

That is not all that is wierd with my audio. It starts and stops doing that at seemingly random times. So one second I can be listening to Warcraft 3 and the next only hearing a small portion of the sound. That is my last reason for not thinking it is not the services fault, if it was I think it would stay one way, either gone sound or bad permanently and not switch back and forth between the two.

I am not sure if this relates or not but I have a Klipsch 5.1 speaker system. If any one has ever used these before you know that after you turn the power off at the control pod you have to wait a second or to before you should turn off the power to the whole system. It is signified by a sound going thru the speakers, not really sure how to describe it, almost like a shreik but not. Sounds lasts a half of a second or so and then it is safe to turn the system off. Now the speakers don't make this sound when I turn the off. The only other time this hasn't happened to me was when I would accidently not hold the power button long enough and the pod would flash HL the pod would stay on but the speakers wouldn't. I know that isn't happeneing because the speakers still put out sound, just very very little.

Kinda, long, sorry. Hope you can help.
    Oh my specs are:
    1.1 AMD T-Bird
    512 mb No-name PC133
    Asus A7V 133
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Internal
    Klipsch Promedia 5.1 (Hell Yeah!)
    NetGear 10/100 Ethernet card
    Leadtek GeForce 4 Ti4400
    Viewsonic PF790 (19'')
    12 Gig Maxtor Hard Drive
    80 Gig Seagate Hard Drive
    TDK 32x10x40
    Hitachi GF-1000 (I got screwed on that one )
    MS Intellimouse Optical Explorer and Ratpad (Much nicer than a dirty trackball)
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Try using Compaq's latest Creative driver (CL has not yet released the updated driver for the Audigy. They only did it for Live! as of yesterday).

Search for the driver here.

I may have heard a similar problem with the Klipsch Promedia set. Indications generally led to a fault in the amplifier. I'm not too sure about it. You can ask in the 3DSoundSurge Forum.

Comment

Working...