Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhad
    • Jan 2002

1st time poster, long question

I am attempting to convert some DVD .vob files to divX, and have come across a few weird problems.

I use smartripper 2.41 to rip the .vob files, and then Xmpeg 4.1c to encode the video to divX, using the 4.11 codec. The machine is a 1.2 ghz athlon t-bird with a creative TNT2 ultra and a 1/2GB of RAM, if that matters. On to the questions:

1) When I use Xmpeg, the movie encodes fine, but the output is not as good as I expect. It has blue and red speckles occasionally (usually about 1-2 pixels). Anyone seen this before, and how do I remedy it?

2) The movie tends to hang when played. What I mean is that it will play fine for about 2 minutes or so, and then the image freezes. However, the time still rolls on the counter, so the video (according to win media player) is still playing. If I move the playbar forward a little, the movie resumes again, only to freeze again shortly thereafter. What gives? I use windows media player 6.4 under windows 2000 sp2.

3) Interestingly, although the movie is encoded under the 4.11 divX codec, the movie refuses to play under it. Instead, it gives me a lovely green screen in the media player window. If I play the file with the 3.11 alpha codec, it runs, albeit with the above problems.

Now, before I do another 8+ hour encode, I was hoping to recruit some suggestions. I have considered maybe

a) adjusting the smooth vs. crisp option more in the codec selection with Xmpeg.

b) lowering the encode resolution from the current 720x480 to something smaller.

c) is there a difference between the low and high motion divX codecs for encoding? I use low, but that was just one of my initial attempts.

Thanks for all the help and I look forward to enjoying these forums,

rhad
Working...