X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txakura
    Mike Richardson
    • Jul 2009

PAL to NTSC

To show just how new I am, I'm not sure the title is something you would include in the "DVD-ripping" category. The issue, though, is this simple. I bought a DVD set (Pie In the Sky, Series 3) from Tower.com because I really liked the first series, and was looking for the others, which I knew were available in Britain (in PAL format). When I made the purchase from Tower, I went to the effort of calling their customer support and asking if the disks were PAL or NTSC. The rep didn't know, and, silly me, I thought, "Well, even if they're PAL, I can convert them." I had read the article from this web site on how to do it, and seemed pretty confident I could handle that much.

So, now. If I'm running through forbidden territory, let me know, and I'll stop. If not, I'll continue with my question(s).
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

A better approach would be to get a player that can play both NTSC and PAL formats. All of the Phillips players I've purchased could do this. Might as well get a player that's Divx Ultra compatible as they are @$60 these days. Just be sure if your TV is NTSC to set the output device as NTSC and not Auto. Although these days the players can sense if the TV can't handle the format. Used to be if you left it on Auto and the TV was NTSC, and you put in a PAL disc, the TV picture was scrambled and you couldn't see what you were doing the change the setting. Now after a time-out or powering the unit off most go back to default setting so you can use the menus.

edit: here's a good resource to see which DVD players
    can be made region free via the remote control:

Last edited by MilesAhead; 11 Jul 2009, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Working...