Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • isd503
    • Jun 2002

DVD Ripping

I have read a lot of material on the Internet, on this site and others. I learned how to de-crypt the .vob files and have become proficient in that part of this process.

Now to get the files onto just a single DVD? I do not want to sacrifice the quality of the video, or the audio, to create my copies.

One thing I have not noticed in most of the howto doc's is how the end result performs in both PC and home DVD players.

I have a HP DVD Writer 200i and an Xbox that I am using to play DVD's and am specifically interested in any information about how these two devices perform with these completed products.

I would really like to find out some things before I embark on one of these projects, which in some cases can take days to complete:

1. What is the best process to use to burn a DVD-R from de-crypted DVD files that total almost 9GB (Gladiator, a good first test)? I've read the DVD to DVD-R doc and other one about creating two DVD-R's from a single DVD. Remember, I am more concerned about quality. My focus is to create a DVD that is as close as possible to the master copy without cutting out any of the content.

2. What software should I use for this process? A lot of the doc's do not have links to the software the author suggests using. Some examples are DVDit PE, ReMPEG2, MAD DVD Bitrate Calculator and AC3DEC. Where do we get them?

3. When you burn a single DVD onto two DVD-R's, can you create it using the dual sided DVD-R, so that all one would have to do is flip the DVD-R over and have the movie continue right where it left off? This is important to me. I'd rather use 2-3 DVD-R's and retain the quality and file sizes if I can. It'd be great to not have to convert any files IF one can actually flip the DVD-R over, or insert a the next one and have the movie pick right up where it left off.

4. Are there many DVD titles that exceed 9GB? What is the average for most of the better, more popular DVD titles?

5. What is the percentage (just guess...) of loss experienced in converting .ac3 to .wav? .vob to mv2? ...and back to DVD again.

6. DVDit PE supports the 16.9 screen size. Any other DVD burners out there that are better? Like, one that does not require you to transform the .ac3 files to .wav?

Please help if you can. Any help much appreciated!
Working...