Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • torebayindir
    • Aug 2002

Help about begining

Could you help me about programs and other stuff that i should install to watch DivX and other Formats like AVI , MPEG , MPG.Because i have nothing installed about DivX in my PC so could you tell me which programs should i install?? Please...
  • Comberman
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Aug 2002

Hi
    For divx go to divx.com and download the divx encoders and 'The Playa' which will play divx movies. Microsoft's Media Player will just about play anything - if you allow it freedom to do so, ie avi, mpeg, mpg, provided your pc has the appropriate encoders. If you're not happy about using Media Player (the latest reports on what it's likely to get up to with reference to viewing pirated stuff is decidedly unfriendly to say the least), then you should be able to pick up alternative freebie viewers from any of the good video sites. You could try the video and multimedia section of the cnet site for some useful 'free' kit.
    Hope this of some help.
    All the best
    Comberman
    Genius creates what it must; talent creates what it can.

Comment

• torebayindir
      • Aug 2002

But i dont know whats the difference between Divx alpha 3.11 and the divx 5.0 on www.divx.com and could you make list of programs which should i install???

Comment

• Comberman
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Aug 2002

Hello again
        Jeez I don't know the difference between Divx alpha 3.11 and Divx 5, except that Release 5 is more than likely the most up to date version. I have Divx 5 on my system although I will probably never use it. This site (press the Home button) has some excellent Video Guides and you should be able to find something to suit your needs. You don't say why you want Divx. Yeah, it's the latest thing (streaming tv, movies, etc) so presumably you want it for these purposes. Maybe, I'll get around to using Divx someday. Sorry I can't be of any more help vizaviz Divx, but there's bound to be experts on this forum - somewhere!
        Dave
        Genius creates what it must; talent creates what it can.

Comment

• Fluffy
          • Nov 2001

If you just want to watch divx movies you should download divx 5.2 basic. (its pointless to download 3.11 as divx 5 plays all divx content. there are ways around this but thats not really nessicary or wise if your a beginnner)
          once you have downloaded the codec you can play any Divx movie in your windows media player, or any other media player that can handle AVI. Personaly, i use windows media player 6.4. ive had bad luck with players designed specificaly for divx. if you have installed windows media player 7.1 just search your hard drive for a file called mplayer2.exe and make a shorcut to it on your desktop. you can also set it as the default player for it by selecting a divx movie and right clicking, then using the "open with" menu.
          Helicopters do not fly. They beat the sky into submission.
          -Aaden Satpulov

Comment

Working...