Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • icewind
    • Sep 2002

Can't open a avi file using VirtualDub?

I wanna open a avi file using VirtualDub 1.4.10,but it gave me a error message as follows:

Couln't locate decompressor for format 'MP42' (Microsoft High-Speed MPEG-4 V2)

VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable.

Then I downloaded the Codecs Download Package from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ad/default.asp ,installed, and used the VirtualDub open it again, this time the error message is as follows:

This AVI file doesn't have a movie data block (movi)!

The file can be played with wmp7 correctly.What's wrong about this problem,somebody can show me a way? Thanks in advance!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

In order to determine which codec(s) you need for a particular .AVI, you should do the following:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub (Ignore the error message)

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• icewind
      • Sep 2002

I don't know why,but now I can open the file correctly!
      And the virtualdub appears the avi information about the audio stram's compression is: Microsoft ADPCM CODEC. I think may the codec package I installed helped this,but I'm not sure

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Congratulations on resolving your dilemma ;>}

Comment

• icewind
          • Sep 2002

Thanks
          Really glad to solving the problem

Comment

Working...