X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nightguy
    • Sep 2002

Divx quality problem

Hi everybody,

I tried to rip dvds for the last couple of weeks, and I finally figure out the procedure to do it... with the help of this forum of course ) but now I have a problem. I cannot get a good quality movie with an acceptable size of 700 meg. The only way I know is to use an higher bitrade, but it gives me unacceptable file size of 900 meg to more than 1 gig sometimes even with short movies of 1h14min long..

I surffed through posting and couldn't find the solution but I know it's possible 'cause I have movies such as collateral dammage, spy game and many more ripped on a 700meg cd with excellent quality!!, so if you could give me your secret about how you set your settings I would be really thankfull.

I use FlaskMpeg XIS 3.0e

Thank you so much
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

What video codec are you using?

What audio codec are you using? At what frequency and sampling rate?

Comment

• Nightguy
      • Sep 2002

------What video codec are you using? -------

I use divx pro 5.0.2 Codec

------What audio codec are you using?--------

I don't compress the audio track with flask mpeg though, I compress it in mp3 seperatly with vob2audio and than attach the audio and the video with vdub or nandub. Is it what you meant by audio codec or I'm just on the wrong track giving you these information??

-------At what frequency and sampling rate-----
      Here I don't know what you mean--you mean for the audio or the video, 'cause I checked the program settings and for either one or the other I did not see these settings?? sorry

Thank You for helping me

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"What audio codec are you using? At what frequency and sampling rate?"

The question about frequency and sampling rate is related to the audio codec. If you are using a frequency of 48,000Hz, the audiostream can be reduced in size by changing to a 44,100Hz sampling rate. If you are, for example, using a sampling rate of 320Kbps, the size of the audiostream can be substantially reduced by changing to a sampling rate og 128Kbps or 96Kbps.

In order to determine what settings you're presently using:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• Nightguy
          • Sep 2002

Here is a jpeg of the info from nandub...
          Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

You are using a frequency of 48,000Hz and, therefore, the audiostream can be reduced in size by changing to a 44,100Hz sampling rate.

If you are, for example, using a sampling rate of 320Kbps, the size of the audiostream can be substantially reduced by changing to a sampling rate og 128Kbps or 96Kbps.

Comment

• Nightguy
              • Sep 2002

If you have the courage and strengh to read it... ...

I calculated the bitrade with Ecuador's AVI bitrate calculator for a movie with an audio bitrate of 128 down to 64 for a 1h30 min movie and the Estimated quality pass from average(around 947kbps for the video) to good(around 1013kbps).

However I tried before to rip movies with an estimated quality set to good and the quality was not realy good. To give you an idea, at sometime in the movie, I could see white pixels across the moving wings of birds and at some point water looked like stains on the screen.

I tried many times with different bitrades and it looks like the current settings I use with flaskMeg are not so good. I need to use at least 1560kbps video bitrade to get a perfect quality which set the estimated quality to Excellent though.

However if you could take a look at these settings it could be helpfull. It's the settings of flaskmpeg with DIVX pro 5.0.2 codec. I always use the "2-pass first pass" first and then the "2-pass second pass"

This way you mighit see some settings set to cause bad quality. Don't be scare if the way settings are set is weird cause I actually have no idea about the meaning of most of the settings and I've been playing with it a lot in the last couple of days

Here are the things I played with to get a better quality but it didn't work so far

*************in general parameters******************
              I changed the Max Keyframe interval... the scene change (I don't know what it is)

threshold(I don't know what it is)

I used Enable resize, but I don't know what bilinear, bicubic.. and all that mean..

source interlace?? I might have change it but I'm not sure

*************in the advanced parameters*************
              I think I changed the data rate.. but still I don't know how it works

The attachment is a .rar.. it's actually five print screen .jpeg of the settings .. ..

Thank you for helping me so far
              Attached Files

Comment

• Nightguy
                • Sep 2002

Here is the other jpeg... I couldn't attach it all in once.. too big
                Attached Files

Comment

• Nightguy
                  • Sep 2002

And finally the last one...
                  Attached Files

Comment

• SHADO\\'
                    • Jul 2002

FlaskMpeg is an inferior encoder compared to the likes of Nandub, Virtualdub. I know it's easier but for anyone to expect to get quality rips from Flask, well it won't happen. For all your questions go to www.doom9.net and check out Doom's guide section. I promise you it will fix most of your headaches. There's no way around it if you want DVD quality rips. There are programs out there that generate scripts for Virtualdub and Nandub like "Gordians Knot, Autodivx5, or Autodub etc..." to make life easier. But for now, a newbie should, from my own experience, start reading Doom's guides and don't even bother with inferior programs like FlaskMpeg... Thanx, start reading now, heh, there's a lot to learn

Comment

Working...