X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boldzak
    • Dec 2001

Rip File Size Query

Hi All

I'm quite new to all this, so maybe one of you guys can point me in the right direction...

I have used the following steps:

- used CladMdec 1.5 to rip a (2GB) DVD to my hard drive
    - used FlaskMPEG 6 (with DivX 4.11) to encode the 1st .vob file into divX

My query is that the 1st encoded .avi file is still 379MB (the original .vob was 1GB. Is this a normal file size considering I used an output size of 720x576? I reduced the audio quality to 44 from 48MHz, thinking this would save some space in the final file. I was under the impression that FlaskMPEG could reduce the file size by around 80-90%, not just 30%

This is a bit annoying as I wanted to put both .vob files onto a 80min CD, but both the final .avi files are going to give me a total of around 760MB - meaning I'll have to use 3 CDs. Maybe this is just the way it is, but other than reducing the output screen size, is ther anything I should be doing to decrease the size of the final files, even just so they come to 350MB instead of 379MB?

Again, as a newbie, I would be very grateful for any response.
    Regards
    BoldZak
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I was under the impression that FlaskMPEG could reduce the file size by around 80-90%, not just 30%"

1) I'm afraid that your math is a wee bit flawed: reducing a file from 1Gig to 380Mgs is a reduction of 62%, not 30%.

2) The degree of compression depends not only on the framesize and audio settings but, more importantly, which video codec you're using and the settings you select for that codec.

Which video codec areusing and what settings have you selected for that codec?

Comment

• boldzak
      • Dec 2001

Hi setarip - thanks for your reply.

My mistake: what I meant to say was that I heard elsewhere that FlaskMPEG should be able to reduce a 1GB file to approx 1/10th of its original size (i,e, 100MB), rather than 4/10ths (400MB).

Anyway, I'm using DivX 4.12 , although I have 3.11 installed also.

As far as settings go, I'm not sure which settings you mean (sorry - hate being a novice at this!). Could you indicate which settings you mean in relation to FlaskMPEG and give optimum values?

Finally, I assume I was right to choose .avi as the output format in FlaskMPEG 6, rather than "bbMPEG Encoder" or "OpenDML Avi Output", or would choosing one of these other ones help?

Thanks again for the help, it's much appreciated.

BoldZak

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Anyway, I'm using DivX 4.12 , although I have 3.11 installed also."

Although others may/will see things differently, I use the following individual procedures, which consistently yield satisfactory results, although they do not necessarily include the most current versions of some tools (because I've found that A) If it ain't broke, don't fix it and B) Some of the newer versions DON'T work as well as the older, or have introduced bugs):

1) Rip full movie with Clad v.1.71

2) Convert to .AVI with Flask v.0.594PX3:

A) Select 3.11 codec ("Fast Motion" version) with bitrate set at 910 (If movie is greater than two hours, check "Split Files" and enter 7200)

B) Select PCM 16BIt sound at 48,000Khz (maintains synchronous integrity)

3) Load created .AVI file into VirtualDub v.1.4C:

A) Set both "Video" and "Audio" to Direct Stream Copying"
        B) Set "Audio" "Conversion" to 44,100Khz
        C) Set "Audio" "Compression" to MP3 at 44,100 96Kbps
        D) Set "Audio" "Volume" to 200%

4) Under "File", select "Save as .AVI" with a new filename

Note: If split files were created under Flask, simply load the first file into Virtual Dub, then under "File", select "Append" (put a checkmark into the little box that let's it append a series of files sequentially) and doubleclick on the second file of the sequence. All of the additional sequential segments will then load.

Files created in this fashion typically are 15%-20% of the size of the original DVD version.

Comment

• boldzak
          • Dec 2001

Many thanks for the help

I'll go give it a try now

Comment

• boldzak
            • Dec 2001

Problems..

Hi Setarip

I carried out all these steps as directed:

1) Rip full movie with Clad v.1.71

2) Convert to .AVI with Flask v.0.594PX3:

A) Select 3.11 codec ("Fast Motion" version) with bitrate set at 910 (If movie is greater than two hours, check "Split Files" and enter 7200)

B) Select PCM 16BIt sound at 48,000Khz (maintains synchronous integrity)

3) Load created .AVI file into VirtualDub v.1.4C:
            A) Set both "Video" and "Audio" to Direct Stream Copying"
            B) Set "Audio" "Conversion" to 44,100Khz

However, when trying to do the following:

C) Set "Audio" "Compression" to MP3 at 44,100 96Kbps
            D) Set "Audio" "Volume" to 200%

- There is no MP3 option in the box
            - There is no volume control

I chose another codec to achieve 44,100 audio, but the new avi file came out slightly bigger than it was beofre I used Virtual Dub!

On a sidenote, how do I know which audion track to select in Flask? I did the whole movie (about 7 hrs!), only to find that I had the music track but not the voices!! Is it possible to select all audion tracks in Flask? - I tried a couple of methods, but I can only ever seem to select one of them.

In the meantime, Happy New Year...

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"- There is no MP3 option in the box"

Download and install the Radium MP3 codec (I'm sorry. I guess I've gotten to presume that everyone who posts here has already installed all of the requisite DivX and MP3 software.)

- There is no volume control

What version of VirtualDub are you using? If I remember correctly, all versions, starting with 1.4C, includea "Volume" selection under the "Audio" dropdown menu.

"how do I know which audio track to select in Flask?"

If you run the DVD, check the sequence of audio choices on the setup screen. the tracks are USUALLY in the same sequence. Also, on most DVDs sold in the US, the first track is the one you want - with one important caveat: If the DVD contains a DTS audio track, the second track is usually the desired one.

The surest approach, after you've selected the track, would be to go to Flask's player, move the slider to some where in the middle ans stop it there. Then make a two minute Flask-converted snippet and listen to it.

Let us know of your continuing success ;>}

Comment

• boldzak
                • Dec 2001

Hi
                You just beat me to it - I found the MP3 codec and installed it already!

Well, off to let my PC run for another 7 hours or so and see what comes out!

Many thanks

Comment

• boldzak
                  • Dec 2001

Setarip

Thanks for all the help - I now have a 540MB .avi instead of a 3.4GB movie!

I still couldn't find a volume option in virtualdub 1.4C, but the volume is OK in the final file, so no problem.

One thing however, can you recommend a reliable program for cropping the .avi file? Becasue I ripped the whole disc, the trailer now plays at the end of the file without sound and I just want to cut it out. I know virtualdub can do this, but every time i play the file in v/dub, the slider either won't move or is erratic, making it hard to get to the right frame(s).

Again, thanks for all your help in this - what a good tutor

Comment

• boldzak
                    • Dec 2001

Setarip

Just been looking through spazz's thread, and I saw you recommend using the divX audio codec rather than "MPEG Layer 3". Will this make any sort of difference to my file?

Comment

• boldzak
                      • Dec 2001

OK, it's amazing what you can do with a bit of research!

I think I've got everything fixed, but just one more question....

I now have my .avi file as I want it, and now want to burn it to a standard CD. I have Nero 5.5 which has a burn vcd wizard.

My question is: When I just burn the (549MB) .avi file to a CD, it seems to work fine, but when I try to use Nero's VCD wizard, it increases the size of the file by an extrq 210MB! Why is this?

Is it the case that my .avi file will only run on PCs (using a vcd or DVD player) and not on vcd-compatible standalone DVD players (with the extra 210MB being required to convert the .avi to .vcd and hence allowing it to run on these players)?
                      Please offer some advice - I got this far, but just got myself a little confused now

Thanks again....

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

The increase occurs because your DivX-compressed (essentially MPEG-4 compression) .AVI file is being converted to MPEG1 format (to be VCD-compliant), which yields a lower compression percentage.

Typically, you can get one hour of video, in VCD format, on one CD.

I'd suggest that rather than using NERO for the "whole enchilada", you should use TMPGEnc to convert the .AVI to "MPEG1-Video CD" format (NOT the default "MPEG1". After you've saved the file, if it needs to be split, once again run TMPGEnc, select "MPEG Tools" from the "Files" dropdown, select "Merge & Cut" (again setting it to "MPEG1-Video CD), and split your file as you please.

Let us know of your (continuing) success ;>}

Comment

Working...