Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andyg
    • Apr 2002

Converting from AVI to MPEG

My strike rate at the moment with regards to converting AVI to MPEG is quite good but I am having problems with converting a few files. My routine normally is to try TMPGEnc to see if it will accept the AVI with both VIDEO & SOUND. If the AUDIO won't work then I convert it to PCM using the 'decompresser' program (have been using V1.1) Most of the time this works okay but with the Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 codec when I convert to PCM, the sound races ahead by approx 1 second for every 200 seconds of video. In the help guide of Virtualdub it mentions that the Layer-3 codec is lazy and incorrectly sets the bitrate of the stream causing sound to advance ahead when compressing to MPEG Layer-3 and that Virtualdub accounts for this when converting to MPEG but I want to convert Layer-3 to PCM, not the other way round and it doesn't say anything about this. How do I do it? Is it possible using only Virtualdub & TMPGEnc? I also have the same sound sync problem with the AC3 audio codec.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

For .AVIs with .AC3 Audio:

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to the highest priority. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...

Converting .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio:

Simply use NanDub to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
    Load your original .AVI into NanDub
    Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy"
    Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
    From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression" - and choose From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression" - and choose "<No compression(PCM)>"
    From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save WAV" (Enter a new filename with a ".WAV" extender).Click on "OK"
    Then set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
    Then save the .AVI as a silent .AVI (set "Audio" to "No audio" after you've saved the WAV file).
    Open TMPGEnc and "drag and drop" the silent .AVI onto it, then do the same with the .WAV file

Comment

Working...