Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mescalino
    • Jun 2002

virtualdub movie editing

i have this movie clip and i want to cut some parts out, but the problem as you know is that you can only cut it at keyframes. when i decompress, edit and encode the part i want to add to file that i saved using direct stream copy i can't append it to edited part because the codecs aren't the same. i did try AVIcodec and Gspot to gather information about codec used but the information about the codec is too global, it doesn't give exact version of the codec originally used to encode this clip, so my question is: how can i find out which version of the codec was used without downloading the whole bunch and trying every single one (for example not just DX50, but Divx 5.0.5)?

i know i could decompress,edit and encode the complete file, but this also means more time and slight loss of quality so i rather not do that

if you can help me, please do
    Last edited by mescalino; 7 Aug 2003, 02:22 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"how can i find out which version of the codec was used without downloading the whole bunch and trying every single one (for example not just DX50, but Divx 5.0.5)?"

If they use the same FOURCC identifier, I don't believe you'll be able to determine this

"i know i could decompress,edit and encode the complete file, but this also means more time and slight loss of quality so i rather not do that"

I'm afraid this is exactly the procedure I would suggest...

Comment

• mescalino
      • Jun 2002

kind of stupid that it's impossible to find out which version is used. i hope someone will make some program that will be able to do this, but untill then decompress, edit, encode..
      thank you setarip

Comment

• shiny#3
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jul 2003

sorry to postpost you again setarip!!!

but I guess any knowledge is welcome!

to mescalino (what a nice name)

it is possible to cut divx and xvid movie at a single frame using
        virtual dub!!!

just do the following!

load your movie into Vidub (virtual dub)
        use your keyboard to scroll to the sequence you want to copy
        by using your shift and -> key. once you got close to your beginning point use the
        -> key without the shift key to scroll exactly to the frame
        that you wish to be the startpoint of your movie!

set your startpoint

then use shift and -> again to scroll close to the the frame
        you like to be the end of the movie.
        release the shiftkey and scroll with the -> only to exactly the frame you want to be the end of your movie.

set endpoint

choose save as avi and do save

if you want you can reload your newly created avi into
        virtual dub again and you might discover that the total
        framenumber is exactly the difference between startpoint frame number and endpoint framenumber of your previous movie!!

good luck

Comment

• mescalino
          • Jun 2002

nice shiny#3

however after some testing i noticed that it's only possible to cut it at certain point if the frame is after the keyframe, and if the frame is before the keyframe, it will include all the frames between two keyframes, but still it will be usefull. thanks for sharing this info.

"to mescalino (what a nice name)"

actually it's mescaline (but i changed it a little bit) - psychoactive substance extracted from peyote cactus (maybe you already knew)

Comment

Working...