Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wicked
    • Sep 2003

Editing tool

Is there any other free software other than Virtualdub for cutting AVI files? I try to cut out the first 4 secs form the second half of an avi file that I split in two but it doesn't work.I have to delete a whole 10 secs or keyframe.
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

you will always have to cut it at a keyframe unless you really want your audio to become unsync

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

The following may SEEM to be a great deal of work and/or complex, but it's really quite simple and easy to accomplish:

1) Load the ORIGINAL second .AVI into VirtualDub
      2) Set "Video" to "Full Processing Mode"
      3) Set "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copy"
      4) From the "Video" dropdown menu, click on "Compression" and select the same codec that was used to create the .AVI
      5) Configure the codec in identical fashion to the .AVI's original settings - EXCEPT, change the keyframe rate to "every 1 second"
      6) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Move to beginning" - and then select "Set selection start"
      7) Move slider to the keyframe immediately after the part you wish to cut
      8) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set selection end"
      9) Save with a new filename (e.g. "2A.AVI")
      10) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Delete frames" (to delete the opening few seconds of the ORIGINAL second .AVI)
      11) Save the residual (major) portion of the ORIGINAL second .AVI with a new filename (e.g. "2B.AVI")

12) Close VirtualDub, then re-open VirtualDub (cautionary)

13) Load "2A.AVI" into VirtualDub
      14) Set BOTH "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copy"
      15) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Move to beginning" - and then select "Set selection start"
      16) Move slider to the four second position (which should be a keyframe) - and from the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set selection end"
      17) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Delete frames"
      18) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Append .AVI segment - and load "2B.AVI"
      19) Save with a new filename (e.g. "2ALL.AVI")

Comment

• Wicked
        • Sep 2003

Thank you very much setarip.All I had to is #1-9.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"Thank you very much setarip."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• Fredledingue
            • Sep 2003

You need AviUtl, a free software for those frustrated by Virtual Dub!

Read my Help page, you will need it to start... When you get it, it's much easier to work with AviUtl than with Virtual Dub.

Comment

Working...