• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zino666
    • Dec 2003

Zoom in

Hi all,

I'm new here.....

I'm looking for software that is able to zoom on a movie with losing to much quality...
    I have recorded a small movie with my digital camera but its only 112 x 160.....
    When i try to watch it its gets all messed up.....
    I tried VirtualDub en TMPGEnc but these two did do the trick....

i just want to zoom in on the movie so that i can watch it....

Thnx for the help

Latersssss
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Windows Media Player, ZoomPlayer, BSPlayer, Sasami Player - and virtually any other "player"...

Comment

• zino666
      • Dec 2003

Yes but all these player mess up the movie..... when you zoom whith these players even only a little bit it will give the picture big sqares.
      so its not viewable

Thnx for the reply

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

The old adages are still true:

1) You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear

2) You can't turn lead into gold

Comment

• pieroxy
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Nov 2003

The best quality you're going to have is by using VirtualDub's "Resize" filter and set the method to "Precise Bicubic".

I don't think you will be able to do anything better than that. If it still sucks, you still have another option, depending on what you want to do with the movie, you can encode it letterboxed.

I explain. let's say you want to make a DVD out of the movie. DVD is 720x480. If you resize your small clip to this resolution, it'll probably look bad. But you can definitely enlarge it so that it will have black borders. So:

1. Open VirtualDub
          2. Open you sucky AVI
          3. Open the Video/Filters window
          4. Add "Resize"
          5. In the config window, enter the new size: 480x336 (that' a 3X magnification)
          6. In the Filter Mode enter "Precise Bicubic"
          7. Click on "Expand Frame and Letterbox Image"
          8. Enter the final resolution in the boxes: 720x480
          9. Frameserve your new AVI or save as to encode as DivX/XviD

Of course, if it still sucks, you can try a 2x mag (320x224) or anything else. Usually, an integer as the magnification level will give you better results, but that can vary.
          "on the north side of 'wild-cat peak' the 'snow squaws' shake their winter blankets and bring forth a chill which rides the wind with goad and spur, hurling with an icy hand rime, and frost upon a dreamy land musing in the lap of Spring"

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

"The best quality you're going to have is by using VirtualDub's "Resize" filter and set the method to "Precise Bicubic". "

It will still *suck*.

Simply because the information needed to fill the extra pixels (after resizing) is not there and hence what you are getting is essentially a larger video-size with extrapolated information (in short, it won't look much, if any, better).

Regards.

Comment

• pieroxy
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Nov 2003

Enchanter is right. Any algorithm will suck big time on such a small video, full screen. That is because none of these algorithm is as good as your brain to reconstruct the missing pixels of your movie on such a scale.

So you will have to use your brain in conjunction with your best algorithm to get something acceptable. That's why I suggested a 2x, maybe 3x magnification, letterboxed (small movie in the middle of the screen). The algorithm helps a bit to get a movie of a reasonable size, without showing too much of its limitations. Then you let your brain (or the viewer's brain) do the rest.

It will not be perfect, but it can be "watchable". Let us know what works best for you.
              "on the north side of 'wild-cat peak' the 'snow squaws' shake their winter blankets and bring forth a chill which rides the wind with goad and spur, hurling with an icy hand rime, and frost upon a dreamy land musing in the lap of Spring"

Comment

Working...