Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brass
    • Feb 2002

xmpeg4.2 suddenly won't open my vob

I ripped an entire dvd to a vob on my C and opened it succesfully in xmpeg several times, but now it suddenly just stopped working. it apparently is doing something with the file, because when I open it, and try to move the file it says it is in use. I am still able to play the file just fine in a vob playing program, and in flask, but when I load it in xmpeg now, it goes through the progress bar, asks me which streams to use and then doesn't do anything.
    Last edited by brass; 12 Feb 2002, 06:50 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"when I open it, and try to move the file it says it is in use."

Shut down your system and do a cold boot...

Comment

• brass
      • Feb 2002

I think you misunderstood. I mean when I open the vob in xmpeg and then try to move the file in windows explorer, windows gives me a "file in use" error, so my point is just that xmpeg is apparently doing something with the file I open it, but it isn't displaying anything.
      Anyway, I have cold booted several times.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I mean when I open the vob in xmpeg and then try to move the file in windows explorer, windows gives me a "file in use" error"

I understand now. That, unto itself, is a simple fact of life, of which you are undoubtedly aware - you can't access a file in Explorer if it's already been loaded into (and, therefore, controlled by) an active program.

Just a few points of personal curiosity:

1) How big is this single .VOB?

2) Which O/S do you have installed?

3) Are you able to move the file, in Explorer, if you haven't already opened it in a program?

4) have you considered uninstalling and then reinstalling Xmpeg?

Comment

• brass
          • Feb 2002

- the vob is Traffic 5.9GB
          - I'm using win2kpro sp2
          - yes, I can move the file when it's not in use, and I've tried loading it it xmpeg in different directories
          - I've tried reinstalling xmpeg and my divx and mp3 codecs many times

OH! something big I forgot to mention: I can open vobs off of other dvds in it. However, remember I can open and play the traffic vob on my C just fine in ATI File Player and flask.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Certainly not a resolution as to why one particular program now "gags" on this large (perhaps this is part of the problem) .VOB but, if Flask can handle it, why not just use it instead of XMPEG (I presume you want to convert this .VOB into a DivX-compressed .AVI)?

Comment

Working...