Joining movies in Virtualdub (sync sound)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobRo
    • Mar 2002

Joining movies in Virtualdub (sync sound)

Whenever I join two movieparts together, in most cases the sound of the second part plays too early. I use the normal encoding options (saving segmented avi's give me all kind of sync / framerate problems).

What's the best solution for getting the second moviepart okay in Virtualdub... Maybe a step by step should help...

Note: there are no problems for joining the movies with 'save as avi' (no synch problems) but nearly always the sound plays too early in the second part...

Any solutions (for Virtualdub without other tools because I know there are some synch sound progs)...

Thx!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Load the second .AVI into VirtualDub.

Set both "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"

Under the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Interleaving"

Enter 1,000 in the box next to "Audio skew correction" (You may find that you have to adjust this number)

Save with a new filename (Played alone, this new file will be out of synch - Don't worry about it!)

Use this modified file as your file to be appended

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• RobRo
      • Mar 2002

Thanx for your suggestion but that's what I now normally do when the audio is out of sync with the movie.

I still think there should be somewhere a direct solution and I think it could have something to do with a segmented avi. I tried it but somehow the sync/framerate settings with the first part of the movies are different.

I get a lot of movies as SVCD in 2 parts which I convert two 1 CD DivX and always use the method you mentioned (set second movie out of sync so the sound will append correctly after the first one).

Still I hope someone can provide a solution or tech answer why this appears in many multipart movies with the same frame/audio compression parameters...

Anyway thx for your advice!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Anyway thx for your advice!"

My pleasure (despite the fact that you've thoroughly confused me by first asking how to accomplish this using VirtualDub - and then saying you already know how to do this using VirtualDub...)

Comment

• RobRo
          • Mar 2002

Sorry about that because that shifting of the sound in the movie made me also confused and let me believe that there was (should be) a technical (internal) solution in VirtualDub

It's because it always takes a long time to get the sound sync with the movie (partially save and append with shifted sound etc...) but I must say I'm a novice with all those settings (that's why I don't use Nandub because I'm not sure what are the correct settings). I think there's too less info about the internal workings of divx and that leaves one uncomfortable...

Still I have the feeling that there is a more simple solution to get those multiparts in (sound) sync...

Maybe some advanced setting in Nandub?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

I'm not aware of one - so if you discover one, please share it with us ;>}

Comment

• el rolio
              • Mar 2002

hey can some one please just tell me the simple step process of puttin 2 files together to make one? i mean now i kno how to solve a sync prob, but i need to get the two joinedi n virtualdub first.......

let me kno please.

matthew

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To el rolio

Set both "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"

Load the first .AVI

From under the "File" dropdown menu, select "Append AVI"

Load the second file

Select "Save as AVI" and enter a new filename for the joined .AVI files.

Let us know of your success ;>}
                Last edited by setarip; 9 Mar 2002, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• el rolio
                  • Mar 2002

yow man, that option wont even show up, to APPEND AVI. i opened the first and then i cant get that option to be clickable

let me kno any inbetween step pls

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

To el rolio

From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Open AVI"

Load the first .AVI

Then, from under the "File" dropdown menu, select "Append AVI"

Load the second file

If you are unable to accomplish this, perhaps the "pleasant" Minneapolis/St.Paul weather has corrupted your version of VirtualDub - after all, look what it did to the brain of Robert Zimmerman ;>} (Just kidding around)
                    Last edited by setarip; 9 Mar 2002, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...