Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • omatzyo
    • Feb 2006

Virtualdub to Divx 6 Video Quality Poor

I could really really use some help here.
    <o> </o>
    Essentially, my project involves capturing old VHS tapes (home movies and the like) from S-VHS to a PYRO A/V Link (firewire DV capture) into DV AVI, doing some brief editing and restoring, and encoding them as DivX for posterity.<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    When I capture the feed it looks great playing in vegas, or even in windows media player, but when I open the video in virtualdub it looks terrible. The interlacing really shows through. Even after I apply interlace filters it looks bad.<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Then when I export to DivX 6.1.1 pro codec it gives me a terrible looking result. I thought DivX was supposed to be a quality compression! The settings are all optimized.<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    multipass ~3 Mb/s, q-pel, excellent quality, adaptive multiple consecutive, keep aspect ratio, H.263 optimized... but it seems to be impossible.<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Any idea why Virtualdub looks bad and produces such a poor quality when paired with DivX?<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Additionally, I can throw the same file directly into Dr. Divx and get a much better looking final result, but I am assuming that the newest DivX codec (which I paid to use) should have the best output!<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Any ideas??? Thank you!!!<o></o>
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

but when I open the video in virtualdub it looks terrible
    you mean it looks terrible when you preview it in virtualdub? ie. before you've encoded it?
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• omatzyo
      • Feb 2006

Yes, the preview looks bad in virtualdub... which wouldn't matter but after its been encoded, it looks the same as the preview in all players... bad.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

looks like a vfw problem.

download & install ffdshow from http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/tikiw...etting+ffdshow

go start-->program files-->ffdshow-->vfw codec configuration

click the 'decoder' tab, then 'codecs' in the left column. scroll down the list to "DV" and set it from 'disabled' to 'libavcodec'. click OK.

open in vdub & check quality
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...