• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hacker_on_fire
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2002

No Voice When Playing VOBs

I have ripped a film onto my computer (the extra features) but i cannot hear the voice when i play it on PowerDVD. And when i play on Windows Media Player i get no video but i get sound.

So whats up with that?

Thanx
    MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How 2 post questions correctly
    Look here before posting questions
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Opening the vob files directly in PowerDVD or MediaPlayer generally doesn't work very well.
    If you rip the movie in backup mode in smartripper, you should be able to view the movie by opening the ifo file.

Just remember, don't rip a multiangle movie in backup mode in SmartRipper, if you plan on converting it with GordianKnot, in that case you must use movie mode.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• hacker_on_fire
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Mar 2002

here's the tricky part:

1) i have not got the film so is there an alternative

2) if i use backup mode can i still enode the film. Also it does not back the dvd as this would take up too much space

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

With 'backup mode' in smart ripper you rip the entire DVD as is, only decryption and demacrovision takes place.

This means that The the files can be playedback perfectly in most software DVD players.

However when you convert the vobfiles with GordianKnot it will convert them 'as is', because it has no knowledge about multiple angles. For a movie like the matrix or starwars which contain multipleangles, this means that some scenes will repeat themselves at different angles, when the DVD was ripped in 'backup mode'.

Therefore you must rip the movie in movie mode if you want to encode it with GordianKnot.

'Movie Mode' in smart ripper will remove the multiple angles.
        This makes the ifo files invalid which means that you can't use these in a software DVD player.

The only conversion tool that I know of that can properly convert a multiangle movie, that has been ripped in 'backup mode', is flask0.6 with the subtitles fix (other versions of flask might also work).
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• hacker_on_fire
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Mar 2002

thanks.

so no luck 2 watch the movie without re-ripping it, which i cant do

Comment