X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdobbs
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Sep 2004

That sure sounds long. I use an Athlon XP 3200 and it will do a typical movie using HC in about 3 hours. Your computer should be a lot faster than mine...

Things to check:

1. USB-2 connected drives are a lot slower than ATA or SATA.
    2. A drive that is withing 10-15% of capacity slows down considerably because of O/S overhead.
    3. A fragmented drive is much, much slower than one that has been defragged.
    4. Reading directly from the disc (using AnyDVD) can make your encode take as much as twice as long as first ripping it and reading it from hard drive.
    5. Running other processes during encoding can really slow it down, especially if you are using IDLE priority.

Comment

• Furiousg
      If you have any poo....throw it now
      • Dec 2005

I wasn't aware you could even open a file with Rebuilder while AnyDVD was running. Perhaps I remember just seeing a warning message.
      -FuriousG-

Comment

• durkinjt
        Banned
        • Jun 2006

1. USB-2 connected drives are a lot slower than ATA or SATA.
        Excuse my newbiness, do you mean if the drive is connected using a Usb cableit will be slower, not sure what ATA/SATA is.
        Thanks.
        Jimbo

Comment

• jdobbs
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Sep 2004

ATA and SATA are the kinds that connect directly (typically) to your motherboard. They are a lot faster than USB-2 -- newer ones have transfer rates on the order of 2-3 times faster (conservatively). If you are using standard USB connection (rather than USB-2) they are over 100 times faster.
          Last edited by jdobbs; 5 Oct 2006, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• durkinjt
            Banned
            • Jun 2006

Mine is connected directly to the motherboard, came with the computer, how can you change to USB?

Comment

• jdobbs
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Sep 2004

You'd just buy a USB drive and plug it in. It works just like any other USB block oriented device (flash drive, etc). You can also buy an ATA to USB adapter case and install an ATA drive into it.

But, as I said, USB is considerably slower.

Comment

• chinook9
                • Jul 2006

While you folks are on the topic....Can multiple processors be used when encoding with Avisynth filters?

Also, can Avisynth filters be used with all of the various encoders?

Moderator: If you please, feel free to start a new thread with this. I thought I might do just as well to piggyback on this thread.

Comment

• Art Vandelay
                  Digital Video Technician
                  Digital Video Technician
                  • Feb 2006

Speed

Jdobbs, It does seem very slow but like I said I am using the free version that doesn't use dual core and I am using HCenc18 at BEST and that encoder doesn't use dual core also. I have been doing episode DVD's and that is what I was refering to with my time listed. The computer is brand new and I am using Ripit4me, DVD Decrypter, FixVTS, Menueshrink, and Imgburn or Decrypter to burn ISO. I am processing a episode DVD right now and my processor is only at 50% at most. The SATA HDD isn't USB nor is the Samsung RAM or RW drive. I use Sony DVD-R or +R's

The same DVD with Shrink takes about 40 minutes with the best settings like DA and AEC set to max smooth since compression is quite high with episode DVD's. However, Shrink uses the dual core. Free version of DVD-RB doesn't. If you are who I think you are you already know that. Great software package with HCenc18. I don't see myself getting a comercial encoder like Procoder or CCE SP so I plan to continue using HCenc with the free DVD-RB since I don't see and advantage to the Pro version of DVD-RB with the encoder I will use (HCenc).

The quality is better than Shrink but you need to look at the extra time (4 hrs more for DVD-RB) and make yoiur decision which program to use.

Hats off to you, I have done some C++ coding and I am amazed by some of the software out there.

AV

Comment

• Art Vandelay
                    Digital Video Technician
                    Digital Video Technician
                    • Feb 2006

Forgot to mention

Forgot to mention during encoding my Media Center was also recording a TV show and I was checking e-mail. Not the smartest thing to do but the system was stressed since free DVD-RB and HCence don't use the dual core feature.

Comment

• jdobbs
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      • Sep 2004

Ahh... that explains a lot.

Thanks.

Comment

• durkinjt
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2006

What does One pass w/Analyisis do , does it speed the program or slow it, I know in Shrink analyisis increases quality, same thing??

Comment

• durkinjt
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2006

Got rid of one passW/analyzer,went to Multi Encoder, now finishes at under 3 Hrs. Was the one pass/analyzer one of the causes?Was taking 10-30 Hrs.

Comment

• jdobbs
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            • Sep 2004

That's odd. One pass with analysis should be faster unless the sample percentage was set high. While it can be close sometimes, generally you get a better picture with two pass.

Comment

Working...