• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Best guide for beginners:

Hi guys been reading and running into many users of DVD Rebuilder and decided to learn and use it. Which guide do you recommend. Cynthia's guide for Dummies or UNCAS's quick start guide? Also I've downloaded the recent 0.98.2 freeware version from Blu's link. The link on UNcas has the previous older freeware version.

I'll learn eventually, but am thick at times so the best guide you can suggest for beginners is much appreciated. Also I haven't installed it yet, so anything on the installation whether included in the guide suggested or not is welcomed also. Thnx.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • Wombler
    Affable Wanderer
    • Jul 2006

Uncasm's guide is a quick overview, Cynthia's is more comprehensive but in any case they're both aimed at beginners.

IMO there's no need to restrict yourself to one or the other.

You'd be better reading them both and taking the best bits of either depending on your own needs/capabilities.

Wombler

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Thnx Wombler. I guess I'll read and learn both as I go along. 1st time delving into this kind of video work. Do you or any of the fellas know if the latest free version is good to go as far as stability?

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

The free version works fine. If you have a multi-core PC you might want to shell out for the paid version though. On my dual core AMD it's way more fun when 2 copies of HC encoder run at a time. Plus the paid version has a 4:3 letterboxed => 16x9 anamorphic option that works in some cases(if the letterboxing is very close to 1.85:1) and "movie only" modes. Plus some other features.

Comment

• Wombler
          Affable Wanderer
          • Jul 2006

Yes the free version is fine as it's been around for quite some time with a few relatively minor updates.

Give it a go and see what you think but DVD Rebuilder is superb software and I'd highly recommend the professional version as it's more than worth the money for the extra features.

Once you see the quality of the output you'll never look back.

Wombler

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

I never minded shelling out for any great software, or even donating, but they usually take PayPal and I prefer my CC. I'm going to have to get around this by maybe asking a friend to use PayPal if any of them do and hitting them off right on the spot. I'm going to have both fun and be posting any ?'s on DVD Rebuilder as I'm very interested in how this whole encoding process works. I'm definitely new to the inner workings of encoders as I've only used the quick 1 click proggies.

@Miles I have the dual core AMD but have no idea what you're talking about in reference to 2 copies of HC encoder running at the same time. Or even once for that matter. I will soon though and hit you guys up when I get stuck.

Thnx for the suggestions as always.

Comment

• gonwk
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2005

Boy I sure miss CYNTHIA's Guides ... those were the BEST ... Totally Dummy-Proof ... I am speaking from Experience!

G!

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

Originally Posted by gonwk
                Boy I sure miss CYNTHIA's Guides ... those were the BEST ... Totally Dummy-Proof ... I am speaking from Experience!

G!
                I bet you do gonwk.

I helped you get bumped to Digital Video Master. Pay up kid...

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
                  I never minded shelling out for any great software, or even donating, but they usually take PayPal and I prefer my CC. I'm going to have to get around this by maybe asking a friend to use PayPal if any of them do and hitting them off right on the spot. I'm going to have both fun and be posting any ?'s on DVD Rebuilder as I'm very interested in how this whole encoding process works. I'm definitely new to the inner workings of encoders as I've only used the quick 1 click proggies.
                  When I was trying to sell my software I even signed up with a pay service because I had the same impression.. that you needed a PayPal account to buy through the PayPal buttons. Then when I looked into it more closely I saw that they also handle credit card payments without a PayPal sign-up.

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
                  @Miles I have the dual core AMD but have no idea what you're talking about in reference to 2 copies of HC encoder running at the same time. Or even once for that matter. I will soon though and hit you guys up when I get stuck.

Thnx for the suggestions as always.
                  You're welcome. Some converter software such as DVD RB Pro and FAVC and others can be set to launch a copy of the video encoder for each core in your system. DVD RB Pro encodes typically complete in less than real time using HC "best quality" profile. It makes quite a difference. I'm impatient. I'm just now starting to use two pass mode on some encoders. Once I feel confident of predictable results I'm more likely to accept longer run times to get the quality. I just wish I had a quad core so I could watch 4 encoders run concurrently.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

Good info

I'll check out this info and if I can use my CC w/out signing up then that'll be fine. I'm going to play w/the free version 1st and learn it better than most likely pull the trigger if in fact I can on the Professional version.

Comment

Working...