Can I name chapters or do I need menus or ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

something is hoggin cpu
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Merlin
      • Jul 2006

Hi Lt Columbo
      I progressed my way through two recordings, each 1 hrs worth. Took me 2hrs 20 mins to edit cut the subject occurrences and name them, and place in order. Reopening the file each time and navigating back to where I last got to.
      Seeing all of subject A together in the stack is a long term need coming true !
      Went Options and processed the project to the output folder, resulted in 2.03Gb worth of files there.
      Safe in the knowledge that when I opened the project it would draw the data from that new 2Gb folder, I was now able at last to zap the original files on the full HD that came from the Panny and create some much needed space, …4Gb… to progress with more DVD-RAM transfer from Panny. Emptied recycle bin to truly create the space.

BIG MISTAKE AND LET DOWN. Days work wasted. Upon opening the project it said error, and could not see any of the subjects within. Bloody Hell !!! That means TMPGenc for this in fact requires original files as well as the extra 2Gig it created, so requires 6Gb of space to store subject matter from 4Gb of originals. My plan of creating new video files of the interesting bits (subjects) so allowing the original file to be deleted once it was written to dvd would see 2Gb remain from 4Gb, this sees 4Gb become 6Gb, and remain so until all the subjects for all the recordings are extracted. With a 50% growth in storage with just two done, that’s impossible on the space I have, as a 200Gb drive is already full.

Blast !!! it was time consuming but looked a solution. So back to finding a prog either a) that can copy out and make as a video file for opening later, a subject extract….or b) one that can store the subjects and allow them to be reordered, similar to TMPGenc, and be saved as a file called e.g. subjectGathering but not need the original file the next day to open this file back up !!!

You suggest DVDlab, would it work like option a or b do you know ?

What aspect of my need saw you suggest this prog instead ?

Thanks for the help so far
      Merlin
      Last edited by Merlin; 6 Aug 2006, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

don't know what you mean by "option a or b" . dvdlab has a lot more features than TMPGEnc dvd author, that's why i suggested it. it seems pretty complicated what you are wishing to author.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• Merlin
          • Jul 2006

Hi Lt Columbo,
          a) sees me indicate to the program part of the timeline that I wish to export as a video file, keeping the original intact.
          b) is in lieu of that, doing like TMPGenc did as per your first method, (see your first reply) taking the segment I am interested in, and putting it within the same program as a movable item. This worked in TMPGenc but as explained I have to keep the extracts and the original file for it to work so unable to delete anyhting until all my subjects are extracted, and thats impractical .

Once I have my subjects saved out as either individual video files or sitting on many timelines in a prog, I need to delete the source files for space reasons.

For me, option (a) is best as I can store these small mpg files in folders named subject A, B, C etc. Right click the folder, go properties and check file size total, then when enough for a dvd, write them to it, firstly opening them into an editing program that copes with mpg and GOPs, something that will not trip up when many mpg files are butted together.

I am using Videoredo to do option (a) and managing to export timeline selections as mpg files, and it keeps my place on the timeline after the export is done which is good. The timeline navigation though could be better, I like the TMPGenc one as it shows the frame clusters ( I assume as its not avi but mpg I am seeing something that represents a reference frame and those that follow it as far as the next ref frame) during play, whilst videoredo only shows the true one when pause is hit. Useful though are buttons to advance or rwnd 1 sec, 10 sec, 1 minute and customisable.

Premiere is not mpg orientated so no use here.

I wonder if DVDlabPro can do (a) and give me better timeline control as well as bring in the small mpg extracts of subject_A and assemble them.

So far opening both vro files (it brings in sound) I see black timeline with occasional frame image and it plays no sound ! Same for mpg files !
          Cheers
          Merlin

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

i don't use dvdlab so i can't offer any useful help on that, sorry.
            Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...