X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xeijin
    • Sep 2007

TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 - DivX Authoring Questions

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask you guys a few questions.

Firstly, let me explain what I am doing. I am trying to burn my (unlicensed) Anime to DVD to free up some hard drive space. While I was at it I thought I'd make a neat menu to make it easier to watch later on down the line. Seeing as DivX would give me the best Space:Quality Ratio I decided to go that route, and naturally came across TMPGEnc DVD Author 3.

Anyway here are the questions:

1 - How many episodes should I be able to fit onto a Dual Layer Disc?
    Firstly, is this possible? Because TMPGEnc dosen't show the output size for dual layer, will the menus etc work? Each episode is roughly 200mb how many episodes will this equate to per Dual Layer Disc?

2 - Will DVD Author re-encode my anime as DivX when I output it?
    The Anime is in XviD format, I'm under the impression that this means it's pretty much already compressed, and that the two formats have something in common.

3 - Does the status bar at the bottom represent the actual final space the compilation will take up?
    I am referring to this bar:

I ask this because after adding a moderate amount of episodes it passes the threshold for a Dual Layer Disc (~8.5GB I believe), a friend of mine said that he can get about 24 episodes of a 400MB TV Show on a Single Layer DVD (~4.7GB) So theoretically I should be getting alot more on right? I think the guide mentions something about the purple being the size the DivX compilation will end up being, but I think its just indicating the threshold for a regular CD.

4 - What are the specifications for making my own Frames?
    I tried to open up an existing frame file to get the sizes etc. but they all seem to be of some different image format. I'd like to make my own frame but am unsure of how to go about it.

5 - Is There an easy way to automate chapter creation?
    The first thirty-or-so episodes have the same beginning (intro), I have been manually adding a second chapter to each episode allow the user to skip the intro for when multiple episodes are watched in a row. Is there an easy way to automatically add this chapter for multiple episodes?

6 - What's the best way to optimize encoding quality?
    The anime is already encoded in XviD and the quality is just about acceptable for me. However, after encoding a quick (45 second) test video with DVD Author, the quality was terrible (reminiscent of early video camera phones) is there no way to just keep the same video quality without a raise in compilation size?

Cheers,

// Xeijin
  • Xeijin
    • Sep 2007

Anyone?

Comment

• ozBillo
      • Oct 2007

Hi Xeijin,

I think that TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 is trying to re-encode your Xvid files as mpegs which will take more space on the dvd.

What did you choose for Output Format on the Start page?

I'm guessing you chose DVD-Video (which is the default) rather than DivX Ultra (which I think is what you want).

Bill

Comment

Working...