Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Visor
    • Sep 2002

Converting to 352x480 creates jaggies!

I'm using TMPGEnc Plus 1.5 to encode DVD material to CVD/Half-D1 compatible material. Before you ask "Why not just use DVDShrink?", let me say that I have to run the material through TMPGEnc's IVTC as the 3:2 pulldown cadence is in desperate need of repair. Once I run IVTC, I'll have no choice but to re-encode the material through TMPGEnc.

Although it successfully encodes to 352x480, there is severe jagginess in the material. One good example is to look at the profile of actors' noses... what should be a smooth diagonal is now jagged.

So is TMPGEnc just throwing away lines of resolution instead of taking the averages in between the missing lines to blend everything together? This reminds me of really bad DVD players (like Toshiba) that have poor anamorphic downconversion algorithms when playing back on a 4:3 TV. Of course, the jagginess in DVD players is perpendicular to what I'm seeing with TMPGEnc.

Is there a way to get TMPGEnc to do this properly? I'll switch encoding programs if I have to, but TMPGEnc is easy to use and has really grown on me...

Thanks,
    Visor
Working...