Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kindguy98
    • Feb 2008

Splitting 1.37 GB video into 2 parts

I am trying to split a 1.37 GB video file into 2 CDs 700 MB each. However, when I split the file almost in half [using VirtualDub], the size of only one part is about 770 MB? How come? Isn't 1.37 GB about 1400 MB which should fit onto 2 700 MB CDs?
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

Find out the total number of frames. Then use the Go/Go to frame function to go to the halfway point(framewise).This will be more accurate. Even then the sizes may vary if the file was encoded at VBR.
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• Kindguy98
      • Feb 2008

Paglamon, thank you - you were exactly right; when I split it by the frames - it was fine. I am a newbie in this kind of stuff - so could you explain it to me - how come one part with less minutes on it is larger in file size than the other part with more minutes on it?

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

how come one part with less minutes on it is larger in file size than the other part with more minutes on it?
        Remember that File size = Bitrate x Time.
        Now , a video is best encoded at Variable Bitrate(VBR). This means that the encoder uses lower bitrates at scenes that are less demanding(e.g scenes with little movement) and higher bitrates for the high action scenes.This way the video quality is standardised.So ,it is not necessary that both the halves will have similar requirements regarding bitrate. Hence the different file sizes. If, on the other hand the video is encoded using CBR(constant bitrate),then the file sizes of two halves will be nearly same.
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• Kindguy98
          • Feb 2008

Now I got it. Thanks a lot, Paglamon.

Comment

• Francis60
            leong
            • Apr 2008

Originally Posted by Kindguy98
            I am trying to split a 1.37 GB video file into 2 CDs 700 MB each. However, when I split the file almost in half [using VirtualDub], the size of only one part is about 770 MB? How come? Isn't 1.37 GB about 1400 MB which should fit onto 2 700 MB CDs?
            Hi, Kingguy98, can you please help me? I am a beginner with virtualdub. I need to split a video file and I do not know how to do it.

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
              It Was The Dog, I Swear!
              • Nov 2003

Hey Francis60, please see this post: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=87060
              My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

Working...