Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vaxis
    • May 2002

Ugly in dark scenes

I have reencoded Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio for a couple of times, and it always results in ugly frames when it is a dark scene. I have uploaded a short clip on my homepage-server, so you can see what I mean. Download it at:

Does anyone know a way to get rid of this?

BTW, I have also uploaded the settings in Nandub I use. Download it here:
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Try lowering the "luminance correction" (8 and below) and increasing the "minimum allowed bitrate" values.

Comment

• vaxis
      • May 2002

Sorry for the reply thing. I must have pressed the "new thread"-button instead of "post reply". I really thought it was strange when I posted the reply, that I did have to choose a subject...

I have tested to use "luma correction" with a threshold of 5 and a gain of 30 %, and also increased the "minimum allowed bitrate" to 1000, but it didn't help much. It is a strange thing that the result is really bad. I go for 2 CDs at 700mb each with a "avarage bitrate" of 1410. I must tell that the movie has a lot of motion in it, but still 1410 should be well enough.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Try these settings:
        1. Raise the min gauge value
        2. Raise the High-pass filter value (not too high though!)
        3. Enable 'corrections on low-bitrate conditions' (Enable & Modulated)
        4. Raise the Curve compression so that the low-motion scenes get boosted bitrate

Comment

• vaxis
          • May 2002

I also try to rip Scary Movie 2. I have read a thread by neverlift and he suggested the smart smoother filter. It is really awesome! But the main problem still remains: it is still ugly blockyness on solidcolored background.

Has anyone else ripped Scary Movie 2 with good results? Can you post your sbc settings?

As in the case with Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio I have uploaded a video-sample and the sbc settings I use for Scary Movie 2.

Does a configuration with Anti-shit settings help my problem?

Comment

• vaxis
            • May 2002

Oops! I forgot to add the links for the sample and the sbc settings! Here they are:

Movie sample: http://thunder.prohosting.com/~vaxis...e 2 Sample.avi
            vcf-file: http://thunder.prohosting.com/~vaxis...ry Movie 2.vcf

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

if i were you, i'd use divx5 instead of nandub!

i used SBC myself for month but i find divx5 way better especially in those areas you mention.

give it a try (click on the upper anigif)

Comment

• vaxis
                • May 2002

I have tried to do a test with divx5 and I can say that the result is better than with sbc, but it's still far from good. I have uploaded a new sample encoded with divx5, which you can download here. When you watch it, look at the top of the first angle in the clip. It's a lot of ugly green stuff that sparkles.

Do you guys have any suggested settings for DivX 5.02 Pro? Specially for decreasing the effect in the sample I have uploaded.

Comment

Working...