Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • decryptit
    • Jan 2004

Help in Encoding a movie into fullscreen instead of the normal one

I'm ripping a movie but i would like it to appear fullscreen instaead of the normal small size.

Is it possible to do this.If yes please help.[SIZE=3][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=darkblue][SIZE=1]
    Total Number Of Views
    Decryptit

The Decrypter
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

this is mainly a PLAYBACK matter

Comment

• decryptit
      • Jan 2004

I would like to encode the movie into fullscreen is it possible.iIf yes how.
      Total Number Of Views
      Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

define fullscreen

Comment

• decryptit
          • Jan 2004

What do u mean by "define full screen"
          Instead of widescreen or other small aspect ratios a full screen video is it possible.
          Total Number Of Views
          Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

sure, but you will screw your film, when cropping to 4:3 aspect ratio

nobody would try and make a 4:3 AR out of an 16:9 movie

Comment

• decryptit
              • Jan 2004

So if it is possible can you please tell me how and which software should i use

10nkx

Is it possible with autogk 0.28
              Total Number Of Views
              Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

of course - or otzherwise you would alter the original movie/its aspect ratio

you would have to crop some important information from the left and right area of your film or create egg-heads

both *solutions* will hardly be acceptable

Comment

• decryptit
                  • Jan 2004

How do you crop some important information from the left and right area of the film or create egg-heads ?

Is there a software that can do this without alot of hessle if yes plz give me the name.

10nkx
                  Last edited by decryptit; 29 Jan 2004, 02:37 AM.
                  Total Number Of Views
                  Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• UncasMS
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2001

cropping and resizing is possible with ANY decent tool

maybe you should take some time reading basics?

Talk about the AVI file container, and the Divx/Xvid codecs that are most commonly found in AVI files
                    Last edited by UncasMS; 29 Jan 2004, 04:25 AM.

Comment

• decryptit
                      • Jan 2004

In my encoder i don't have this tool.
                      What can i do.
                      Total Number Of Views
                      Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• zx50
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • Aug 2003

If you want to encode full screen, then just enter the resolution i.e 512x384 576x432 in the encoding application i.e DVDx you get the idea. And then if you are going to play it in the DivX player just click the top left button and then go down to video display and then select aspect ration and then custom.

P.S but if you are not playing it ina player where you can choose the apsect ratio, then i tend to agree with UncasMS, what would be the point?
                        Computer Fanatic

Comment

• zx50
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          • Aug 2003

Ah right, i get what UncasMS means now, but i can't tell you whether it will look good because i have'nt tried it personally. Are you thinking that if you crop the black bars then you will somehow increase the quality or do you just want to view the movie in full screen (can't think why though).
                          Computer Fanatic

Comment

• MaximRecoil
                            • Jan 2004

Re: Help in Encoding a movie into fullscreen instead of the normal one

Originally posted by decryptit
                            I'm ripping a movie but i would like it to appear fullscreen instaead of the normal small size.

Is it possible to do this.If yes please help.
                            I assume that the movie you are encoding is in a "fullscreen" aspect ratio (1.33:1 NTSC) to begin with? If so then simply resize the movie to 640x480 during the encoding process and then when you play the movie on your computer set your computer's resolution to 640x480 and your movie will take up your whole screen when you play it without having to stretch it at all.

Most players will allow you to "fullscreen" the movie to get rid of the player's distracting GUI but with typical modern PC resolutions being so high (800x600 is considered low these days) this forces the player to stretch a 640x480 video to fit the screen which degrades quality. If you start out with your PC already set to the same resolution as your video file then when you "fullscreen" it in your player it will not have to stretch the image at all but it will get rid of the distracting GUI and you will have a perfect unaltered fullscreen video showing on your monitor; just as if you were watching it on a regular TV.

BTW, this same procedure also works great for watching any movie on your PC that has a horizontal resolution of 640 or less. The 640x272 (2.35:1 AR) and the 640x344 (1.85:1 AR) widescreen formats both benefit from setting your PC's resolution to 640x480 prior to viewing. Doing this allows the picture to fill the screen horizontally without having to stretch the image at all. It is far superior to simply selecting "fullscreen" while playing the movie in 800x600 or higher in which case you get a stretched, somewhat blurry image with any imperfections being magnified.
                            Last edited by MaximRecoil; 8 Feb 2004, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• zx50
                              Digital Video Enthusiast
                              Digital Video Enthusiast
                              • Aug 2003

Eh? exc....excuse me, what ARE you on about, i have a 1024x768 resolution and my XviD/DivX video's play fine. Btw i have just tried what you have advised, and i can see no quality improvement whatsoever, the only thing i can see though is the fact that because the resolution has been forced down, parts in scenes that had just the right amount of colour in them now have way too much and look ugly (i.e dark areas). The only way to do what your going on about is to encode the film or whatever at the same resolution as your monitor and then you will get stunning quality, but resizing your resolution downways is not the way too go, from what i seen.

P.S btw my resolution for my films are 576x320.
                              Last edited by zx50; 9 Feb 2004, 01:44 AM.
                              Computer Fanatic

Comment

Working...