X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • varunb
    Trying my experiments in the dark.
    • Dec 2005

Problem with avi using MSU video codec

I converted a mov to avi by first creating an avs file out of it using the following parameter:

Directshowsource("......")

Then i fed the avs file into virtualdubmod 1.5.10.2 & used the msu codec for compression. When i got the output & played it on wmp, i found that the motion of the avi was very slow like as if it was running on a very slow frame rate. Why is it happening ? The original frame rate of the mov file is 23.976 which i didn't alter in vdubmod. i also tried 'Force Key Frame' in the advanced menu of the MSU codec & used values like 24, 240 but still no help. Any suggestions guys ?
    <!-- / message -->
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

change the script to this

Code:
    DirectShowSource("C:\path\to\file.mov",fps=23.976)
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• varunb
      • Dec 2005

Well anonymez, I did as u told me to but it still didn't help me. Well the mov file is actually Spiderman 3 HD trailer that I had got from apple site. I don't know if this info helps u.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

decoder is probably dropping frames cause your CPU can't handle the load

as i asked in your other thread, why are you trying to place in avi?

Comment

• varunb
          • Dec 2005

well i m experimenting sumthin dats why. still ain't there any other way ?

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

do a 2-pass encode with a lossy codec, such as xvid.

even though AVC in avi is not a bright move, you could use YAMB to extract video & audio in raw format, then AVC2AVI to mux video to avi, then avi-mux gui to mux avi and aac.

well i m experimenting sumthin dats why
            and what would that be? don't be shy. the reason i ask is because there is absolutely no reason to place the streams in the avi container. none whatsoever other than for playback on a standalone player, and even then you will need to resize to SD resolution, so it kinda defeats the purpose.

Comment

• varunb
              • Dec 2005

I tried as u said, with both divx & xvid & the output was perfect (no frame rate drop as u had earlier mentioned). As for ur 2nd question, i am actually trying to obtain the highest quality of pal vcd. I know it sounds silly. Trying 2 obtain the highest quality, fullscreen vcd has no relation with avi, isn't it ?

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

i am actually trying to obtain the highest quality of pal vcd.
                then max res is 352x288, which as awful. 480x576 for svcd, which is still awful. no point in encoding to avi then, encoding from one lossy format to another just takes more time and more loss. just open the avisynth script in whichever encoding app you use (i don't use tmpgenc though, so dunno what's up with that error) and encode to s/vcd

fullscreen vcd has no relation with avi, isn't it
                vcd is mpeg-1/2, avi is a container

Comment

• varunb
                  • Dec 2005

well lets forget about avi to vcd conversion. I actually do it to crop & resize only certain portions of the trailers in the avi format & then joining all the avi files in procoder 2. its the only way dat suits me.

But u still haven't answered my problem anonymez. U had said that the decoder is dropping frames. can't i prevent this problem & encode the mov trailer in vdubmod smoothly ?

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

can't i prevent this problem & encode the mov trailer in vdubmod smoothly ?
                    msu requires a powerful cpu to decode video. the higher the resolution, the more power needed. since these are supposedly HD trailers, a powerful cpu is needed to play the file smoothly. so the solution is to either upgrade your PC, or use another codec, such as xvid. alternatively, read the 2nd sentence in post # 6

still doesn't make sense to me as to why you're doing this, fullscreen is crap!
                    Last edited by anonymez; 30 Jun 2006, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Working...