X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe113
    Menu hater
    • Feb 2005

low sound volume

Hi, is there any way to convert an avi to dvd which has low sound volume and to higher it so it plays louder on the dvd?

Joe.
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

You can use (1) VirtualDubMod to adjust the audio volume of the AVI file before converting to MPEG-2 or (2) TMPGEnc Plus to increase the volume while encoding from AVI to MPEG-2, or (3) MPEG Video Wizard to raise the volume of already encoded MPEG-2 file. There are many more methods, I just list a few

Regards

Comment

• joe113
      Menu hater
      • Feb 2005

Thanks for replying. Which, in your expert opinion, would be the easiest way?

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

All r equally easy.But Virtualdubmod or VirtualdubMPEG2 will be the FREE option.
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• joe113
          Menu hater
          • Feb 2005

Ok, I've downloaded virtualdubmod but I'm having trouble trying to get to the adjust audio volume bit. The help file is not much use.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

IMO TMPGEnc sucks for audio conversions.

i use vdubmod for this, i simply demux the audio, then use px3's and amplify 10 decibels or as needed to a wav, or use belight and apply boost while converting to my desired stream type. depends on source audio, which is yours? go to file>file information and see.

how are you converting the avi to dvd?
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

likely the avi has mp3 audio, it can be done losslessly (quicker, without quality loss in the process). demux mp3 audio with virtualdubmod, download & install mp3gain, apply max no clip gain, or however many db you wish

there's also wavgain, which technically isn't a lossless process but i highly doubt any pair of ears on earth will be able to tell the difference
              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• joe113
                Menu hater
                • Feb 2005

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
                I'm using divxtodvd

Comment

• joe113
                  Menu hater
                  • Feb 2005

Still having trouble folks, its a nightmare!

Comment

• benbryant
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Aug 2005

@joe113

OK, just start VirtualDubMod and open .avi file, go to Stream on Toolbar and select Stream list, on the "Available streams", right-click on the the file and select "Full processing mode", right-click on the file again and choose "Volume". There you see the volume in 100%, just tick the "Adjust the volume of audio channels" and move the arrow to raise the volume level higher, click OK and OK again to close the "Available streams" and test run to see if the volume is good for your taste. If not start over until you are satisfied, and then save the file. The only drawback of this method is the problem of video and audio sometimes to go out of sync. I prefer to adjust the volume while encoding though

Regards

Comment

• joe113
                      Menu hater
                      • Feb 2005

Thanks for replying. What does this error message mean, is it safe to say yes to it?

Thanks.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• benbryant
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Aug 2005

@joe113

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
                        IMO TMPGEnc sucks for audio conversions.

i use vdubmod for this, i simply demux the audio, then use px3's and amplify 10 decibels or as needed to a wav, or use belight and apply boost while converting to my desired stream type. depends on source audio, which is yours? go to file>file information and see.

That is what I am concerned as mentioned in my earlier post about the sync problem when dealing VBR audio with VirtualDubMod. I don't think you should click Yes for this, although you may try in hope that will work for you. I think that you should try LT. Columbo's suggestion which seems to be perfect in your case. If possible, please post the type of your audio using File information from VirtualDubMod so that we can provide more accurate suggestions

Regards
                        Last edited by benbryant; 22 Aug 2006, 03:45 AM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

i've always clicked no. never have sync issues that way.
                          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                          Columbo moments...
                          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• joe113
                            Menu hater
                            • Feb 2005

folks, it's ok, I gave up, deleted the file. I have a converted version of it on dvd, albeit with crappy sound volume. Guess I just have to live with some things. Thanks for all your help & suggestions.

Joe.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                              Demigod of Digital Video
                              • Nov 2004

sorry to hear that
                              Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...