X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mill
    Im Off To See The Wizard
    • Oct 2005

Windows shutting down

Somtimes when im useing shrink, if i try to preveiw a clip windows shuts down i get different errors pfn list corrupt,is one the other is bad pool header, and another is, page fault in a nonpage area. Its not all the time its ok if i just drag and drop the main tittle but if i fool around with trying to insert a still image, or like i said preview, sometimes it shuts down. I read some of the problems others in the past have had but none of them seem the same as mine, i have an hp desktop and they did somthing at the factory were a person like myself cant get into the bios to mess things up any ideals whats happening?
    Keep Plugin away
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

have you read the FAQ by any chance?
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• mill
      Im Off To See The Wizard
      • Oct 2005

Yes thats what i read it seems it could be a number of things i was hoping those error message would help. There is one thing that catches my eye and thats is ,"Colour depth:

Normally your desktop should be set to 32-bits for DVD Shrink to manipulate video correctly.

Seems DVD Shrink 3.1 will crash as long as colour depth is set to 32-bits. When I switched to 16-bit, it stopped crashing. Even at 800x600 resolution (I normally run at 1600x1200). But when switched to 16-bits, it doesn’t crash at any resolution, even 1600x1200. Credit: nevar " BUT thats for ver.3.1?
      Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Shrink works fine with 16bit, I use it all the time, 32bit just pushes the
        computer harder. There's a clue in here somewhere mil.

Comment

• mill
          Im Off To See The Wizard
          • Oct 2005

Sorry chewy, Im not the brightest light bulb in the box, i need it spelled out, unless your referring to 16 being half of 32 which would make sence. Oh man your killing me with this clue thing, weres the Lt.?
          Last edited by mill; 16 Dec 2005, 08:36 AM.
          Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

shrink is an intensive program, 32 bit mode is more intensive than 16 bit
            your computer is like that camel with too much straw on it's back

camel pep pills?

Comment

• mill
              Im Off To See The Wizard
              • Oct 2005

Thanks Chewy, that should do it, i got about another two weeks till i get my dual 3800 i hope i dont have any problems.
              Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

color me green with envy

Comment

• mill
                  Im Off To See The Wizard
                  • Oct 2005

You have the knowledge and the no how thats somthing i dont have, without that its only a piece of metal, thanks again for the help.
                  Keep Plugin away

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

that's really odd, its very likely a graphics card problem (getting a LOT of these lately). 16-bit should be beneficial ONLY to very very old PC's, i'm talking ~400MHz with onboard video. 32-bit is fine and will not degrade performance whatsoever, for pretty much everything above that..

the only time i'd recommend 16-bit is if you're trying to play video on such an old pc. even then, its just not worth watching...

ps. mill, make sure you give our 'dual-core' thread a good read, i can say with confidence you will run into problems, especially if you play games
                    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• mill
                      Im Off To See The Wizard
                      • Oct 2005

Hey Anonymez, whats happening. I have been following the thread from time to time ,but i have to be honest alot of its over my head.Yea im getting butterflys it wont be long now till it gets here.Im sure ill run into alot of things, ive been thinking about keeping the dual core off line and useing it for play only, i hope the drivers are up to date, and that i can install dvdd, imgburn, pcgedit and shrink to name a few ,without losing any more of my hair.Im not sure about windows updates if i keep it off line. But to get back to the subject, with windows crashing somtimes when i preview clips in shrink, i was also thinking maybe the video card, this 230n has nvidia geforce4 mx integrated gpu, and maybe i was clicking on to many things to fast. i been fooling around with them inserts, you no the ones , tittle removed and the one Tnt made, the FBI warning . Ive wasnt sure on how to do it at first but i think i have it now and if i take my time in shrink i somtimes can do it without windows crashing on me and dumping memory.
                      Last edited by mill; 16 Dec 2005, 03:40 PM.
                      Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

anony, I don't game and the 16 bit is a holdover from olden days
                        when 32 bit really slowed a computer, the vid card is where I cut on a computer, it hurt to spend 80$ on the one in the beast, I run it at 32 bit.
                        When a client says I want to game, I say how much do you want to spend?

mill, anony may be talking about drivers and/or directx

Comment

• mill
                          Im Off To See The Wizard
                          • Oct 2005

I think i have the lastest drivers, and the directx is 9c
                          Keep Plugin away

Comment

Working...