Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

go for it and install it but let it run in TC mode or manual speed setting but not full throttle

Comment

• mill
      Im Off To See The Wizard
      • Oct 2005

I like too but not sure how to hook it up myself , with the sensor and all.
      Last edited by mill; 25 Feb 2006, 01:32 PM.
      Keep Plugin away

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

from what i can spot here there isnt much to worry about

Thermaltake is a Taiwanese manufacturer of PC case designs, power supplies, cooling devices and peripherals

what makes you hesitate?

looks like a standard 3pin molex conector which you will either plug in to any of your mainboards connector or you will have to use an adapter to put between the stanrdard 4pin powercable and the fan

i like to use these connector adapters:

Comment

• mill
          Im Off To See The Wizard
          • Oct 2005

Well on the directions theres a note, it says 1 -for k7 cooler place the sensor underneath the processor You may bend the sensor for better fit
          2-For p4 & k8 cooler ,we suggest to tape the sensor underside of the cpu heatsink.

Whats the difference between k7 p4 and k8, and also theres no way im going to pull that cpu out. lol
          I found those 3 pin molex conn. on the motherboard
          Last edited by mill; 25 Feb 2006, 01:42 PM.
          Keep Plugin away

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

did you not say you wanted to use this fan for CASE cooling not as a substitute for your cpu cooler?

those directions you quote are only relevant when using this fan as a cpu cooling fan

k7 is the older athlon socket A, k8 the newer sockets 754/939/940 (athlon64,sempron64, opteron)

Comment

• mill
              Im Off To See The Wizard
              • Oct 2005

Yes all i want is to install on the side of the case , sorry if i didnt make myself clear. But thats were there saying to put the sensor for the tc. Is there another way or place to tape the sensor?
              Last edited by mill; 25 Feb 2006, 01:50 PM.
              Keep Plugin away

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

no

you only put the sensor to the cpu in case you want the fan to be a replacement for cpu cooling

in your case i'd say forget about the sensor and use the manual controlling option - iirc correctly there was this potentiometer which you should be able to use to regulate the speed

Comment

• mill
                  Im Off To See The Wizard
                  • Oct 2005

I follow you now. Next i will have to find out the best speed to run it at . I have the case open now, taking a closer look at what im getting into. Thanks UncasMS
                  Keep Plugin away

Comment

• mill
                    Im Off To See The Wizard
                    • Oct 2005

Well got it in thanks again, plus i didnt break anything doing it, thanks for urging me on UncasMS. Now i have to find out whats the temps should be like.
                    Keep Plugin away

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

that's good news

talking about temps:
                      where did you mount this fan (top_back/middle/bottom_front)?

i hope you're using the fan in mode 3 / adjustable fan speed control

Comment

• mill
                        Im Off To See The Wizard
                        • Oct 2005

Yes im using the speed controll you were correct in saying its as loud as a 747
                        Attached Files
                        Keep Plugin away

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

looks cool

it's blowing IN, right?

Comment

• mill
                            Im Off To See The Wizard
                            • Oct 2005

lol yes, but i think when summer gets here i will mount it in my house window to pull some cool air in, just kidding thanks for the help
                            Keep Plugin away

Comment

• UncasMS
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2001

i'd go for something like ~2000 rpm which shouldnt be way more than ~25db

and those 25db arent the only source for noise anyway as your enermax and cpu fan will also produce a certain noise level

try to make the fan sort of match the noise level of your loudest component as the db does NOT simply adds up

if for example you have one fan which produces say 25db and you add another fan to your system with 25db you wont end up with 50db (for gods sake) but with ~28db

two rather equal db values add an additional 3db

thus i'd try to make this fan either run at a similar noise level as psu/cpu cooler or measure the temps carefully with and without this fan running and maybe think of adding a switch to power it off/on however you feel like and very much depending on the room temperature and the work this pc has to do

i have equipped my main machine for example with three of these fans:

it is a 120x120mm revoltec fan with these specs:
                              23.94 dBA
                              87.62 M³/h
                              1200 RPM
                              0.18 A
                              7 Volt - 12 Volt DC (but also works fine on a 5v rail)

one of them is mounted beside my harddrives and is constantly running

the other two are mounted bottom_front/top_back and they are connected through a switch i have installed so i can turn them on/off whenever i feel like

they produce a very good airflow if need be (hours of gaming or conversions) but still they are not noisy at all because 120mm fans have a bigger airflow at lower rpm compared to smaller 80/92mm fans and i dont even want to talk about 40x40mm or 60x60 fans which you can find every now and then in certain cases

Comment

• mill
                                Im Off To See The Wizard
                                • Oct 2005

Yes the processor fan does put out a little noise im not sure what the db is but its not near as load as the case fan i put in. keeping it like you said around 2000 rpms keeps it pretty quiet. What should i try and keep the temps around? and is everest a realiable source for monotoring them. and there are two other fans somthing like yours ones in the front bottom and the others in the back middle, there both 120mm
                                Last edited by mill; 26 Feb 2006, 01:09 AM.
                                Keep Plugin away

Comment

Working...