Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mamamo
    Tim's coffee addict
    • May 2006

Thankyou to everyone who is trying to help this old newbie out, as FG said I will be waiting for him to help me out with your suggestions. Thanks to everyone.

Comment

• Mamamo
      Tim's coffee addict
      • May 2006

Hi, again, FG hasn't been able to help me yet, too busy. FG did get me to run 'Hot CPU Tester'. I tried it 3 times and it crashed each time, after about 3hours running time. I haven't had any crashes myself, but my son did when he was burning DVDs with Nero. He had 2 successes out of 6 burns. Just thought I would update you guys, Thanks.

Comment

• blutach
        Not a god of digital video
        • Oct 2004

@mamamo - have you done a memtest?

MemTest86 is the original self booting memory testing software for x86 and ARM computers. Supporting both BIOS and UEFI, with options to boot from USB.

Regards
        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Mamamo
          Tim's coffee addict
          • May 2006

@blutach, I don't want to sound like a dum a**, but what is a memtest? I am a real green horn when it comes to this stuff. FG usually helps me with all this stuff, but like I said he is too busy right now. Thanks.

Just saw the link you put up. I'll try it and see what happens. thanks.
          Last edited by Mamamo; 28 May 2006, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Mamamo
            Tim's coffee addict
            • May 2006

for the suggestions guys,again! I'm too chicken to try too much on my own, so I'll get FG out here to help. We will let you know what, if anything that we find out.

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

you should have started with what i suggested and remove "slowdownpc"

Comment

• JimS
                Banned
                • Apr 2006

Mamamo, I hope you have already found the solution for your issue.
                But if not, here are a few suggestions. My apologies to the forum
                if someone has already made these suggestions and I missed them.

Us old daugs got to stick together, so here is what I think.
                1. "dll hell" is where a program uses one of Windoz dlls and finds a different version of that dll and crashes because it can't use it. Google "dll hell" to better understand.
                Sometimes Windoz auto-updates itself and the result isn't understood by some programs.
                2. Reset all boards and connectors, one at a time. I.e., remove the board and then plug it back in.
                3. Blackviper gives excellant advice but his web site seems to be under construction.
                It has a lot about configuring Windoz XP and 2000 Services.
                Try http://www.dead-eye.net Click on "Windows XP" at left.

Well I hope this helps.
                Time to refill my cup with fresh Kenyan caffine.

I've never struck a woman in my life, not even my own mother.
                - WC Fields
                He who hesitates is a damned fool.
                - Mae West

Comment

• Mamamo
                  Tim's coffee addict
                  • May 2006

@UncasMs....FG and I searched on my system and couldn't find "slowdownpc" any where. FG did exactly what you said but no success.

Comment

• UncasMS
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2001

in your everest report "slowdownpc" is listed under non plug & play drivers and it is known as a source for troubles

Comment

• Furiousg
                      If you have any poo....throw it now
                      • Dec 2005

But I couldn't find it anywhere in the locations you suggested Uncas...Are there any other places I should look to find it?? Or can I disable it/remove from the driver list???
                      -FuriousG-

Comment

• UncasMS
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2001

i actually dont know which name "slowdowncpu" uses when activated
                        Last edited by UncasMS; 29 May 2006, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

start/search/files and folders/advanced/hidden files/
                          SlowDownCPU

Comment

• JimS
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2006

google slowdowncpu and you'll find a lot of info

Comment

• Furiousg
                              If you have any poo....throw it now
                              • Dec 2005

Ok, we did find Slowdowncpu. I restarted in safemode and deleted the entire folder, and cleaned all the registry keys with JV16 Power tools.
                              Rebooted again and let Mamamo go about her business to try and crash it.

It did crash again (my first experience with the fault), and I believe it may be a PSU problem. When it crashed, I tried to startup with the power button, but all I got was a few system lights on the front panel and the drives status led's....then it shutdown. Repeated 3-4 times. I let it sit 15 minutes, and now it booted successfully. I ran another scan with Everest and Slowdowncpu doesn't come up anymore.
                              Is there any way for me to confirm a PSU fault?? Or should I have her bring it in to the vendor she bought it from. She would have sooner, but wanted to make sure it wasn't a software related problem that would cost her money to get repaired ( no warranty on user installed proggies )
                              -FuriousG-

Comment

• Chewy
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2003

The failed boot is not software, might have a lot of dust/dirt/farley lint?

My overclocks are tempermental, a hard drive may be fixing to go, but you can look at sensor in everest and see if the voltage rails are close to specs.
                                One client's computer lost the mobo, he had brought it back to me with boot problems, I opened and saw dog hairs(uck), I cleaned and fixed a few software items, a month later the mobo blew. He had been leaving it on all the time sitting on the floor. Last warranty I honor for dog hair.

Comment

Working...