Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

I had virtually the same problem, it turned out to be a faulty Power Supply. I upgraded to a 550 Watt Antec power supply, and poof problem fixed.

Comment

• Furiousg
      If you have any poo....throw it now
      • Dec 2005

Well, I had ASSUMED that the unit should be clean, being brand new and that the temps were good. So I opened it up anyway to have a peak at teh CPU cooler and connections. There was more dust accumulated in the case than her 2 year old PC the first time I cleaned it . Going to give it a run again now that it is clean and report back again.
      -FuriousG-

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by jmet
        I had virtually the same problem, it turned out to be a faulty Power Supply. I upgraded to a 550 Watt Antec power supply, and poof problem fixed.
        i've heard those (antec) are the "navy seals" of power supplies. what did it set you back if you don't mind my asking? isn't 550W an insane amount BTW?
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

Jmet's going to probably move it to his server tower with the dual core amd64 and 8 dvd burners and 4 hard drives

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

wow 550w is overkill. with antec, can't go wrong with a 3 year warranty
            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

makes sense. i might be replacing mine too. this pc has restarted 3 times in the 6-8 weeks i've had it on it's own. can't be overheating as i've run heavy cpu hoggin stuff for hours on end. it restarted the last time with just an IE page minimized. no viruses show up, scanned for spyware ok. otherwise the pc runs beautiful. it's always on and it's been a week since the last re-boot. this is what prompted my surge protector thread. i think it might be that? i'm going to measure the supply voltage in the house here which should be 120 V.
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• Mamamo
                Tim's coffee addict
                • May 2006

Well, here goes, gonna play around and see if I crash or not. Wish me luck.

Comment

• Mamamo
                  Tim's coffee addict
                  • May 2006

Well, so far everything is running perfectly. The game I was playing when I crashed twice yesterday, ran fine for the past couple of hours. I guess I have to expand my house cleaning to include the inside of my tower.
                  Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Comment

• jmet
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2002

It was around $120 when I got it. The price has gone up. - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138084390141

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

wow, ty jmet

an associate has offered to give me a new one (antec actually) and a new HD. i want to do it. it pays to solve a few cases on the side
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

• Mamamo
                        Tim's coffee addict
                        • May 2006

Hello everyone, well since FG did a MAJOR clean of the inside of my tower, everything has gone perfect. We have been burning dvds and cds with Nero,playing our games, and everything else. Not one little problem since. Once again, thanks to all who offered suggestions to us.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

case solved, the dust bunny did it

Comment

• Furiousg
                            If you have any poo....throw it now
                            • Dec 2005

I'm still embarassed I didn't think to look there earlier....but I guess the temps were all ok with the system scan..so yeah, thats why I didn't
                            -FuriousG-

Comment

• Mamamo
                              Tim's coffee addict
                              • May 2006

@Chewy....yeah dust bunnies with big gravel trucks!

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                                Queen of Digital Video
                                Queen of Digital Video
                                • Jan 2004

dust cat here, I always have to clean cat hair out of mine.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

Working...