Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlienX69
    Interstellar Traveler
    • Feb 2005

Yeah this mobo is like that "ground around the screw hole", but the ASUS Techie says is probably my issue, which is:

Got the new mobo and new CPU installed, got it up and running, installed XP Pro .... everything great until I rebooted .... NO Video .... so I fiddle, finially take out the AGP card and install a PCI Video (very old, but works) so it reconigizes it and boots back into XP, do a little more setup need to reboot .... guess what ... no video again ... tried a few restarts .. no video ... I unplug the PCI ...... put the AGP back in .... Video again .... reboot no video .... WAHT DA SH!Z is dis !!! Called ASUS

I looked at rubber o-ring today as a matter of fact at Lowe's they didn't go small enough ..... here to purchase the right size ...... and would you happen to know waht that ID size is ? I'm thinkin 3/32 (.09375)" ?

AX

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

I would check my bios for agp/video settings and possibly memory issues.

Have an old mx vivo card that won't let windows finish loading, you have to put another card in, then play hell with safe mode and changing drivers to get it set up.

Comment

• AlienX69
        Interstellar Traveler
        • Feb 2005

Yeah I thought is was the memory, tried 2 new 1gb sticks of High End Corsair, then I tried the old sticks (form the AMD box I just built) same results. Maybe by now they have the same mobo I usta have .....

Finally found some nylon washers, will try that Fri. or Sat. and see if that makes a diff, or I'll be calling them again.

Comment

• AlienX69
          Interstellar Traveler
          • Feb 2005

Well so much for washers .... just like I though .... never had that as an issue before .....

It's intermittent, every 3,4,5th try the video will engage.

Here what I did .... used an old PCI vid card, put it in ... got video .... shutdown, no video ..... moved card to different slot, got video, instead of shutdown did restarts, 3 or 4, then I did a shutdown, upon power on again no video ...... move to another PCI slot, got video, then the same as above.

ASUS Tech says to call Saphire, it's like he was in a hurry to get off the clock and didn't want to be bothered, check BIOS, etc. The only thing I saw was 64 for Aperture Size, the card is 128mb, so I changed, this caused strange results, had to pull the battery and reset BIOS to get back in.

I'll bring the card to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and see if they will test it for me (Saphire Radeon 9600 SE AGP 8x/4x) .... the PCI card is an antique Velocity something or other .... I get video, but its low end ... everytime I power down puter, next power on results is NO video, using PCI or AGP card.

So what do YOU think that narrows it down to ? In my mind it ain't what the techie is telling me ..... I think its the mobo controller ? ? ?
          Last edited by AlienX69; 11 Nov 2006, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

no video even during bios post or no video after windows starts to load?

Comment

• AlienX69
              Interstellar Traveler
              • Feb 2005

No video at BIOS post, the monitor has a light, flashes yellow when no signal form card, goes Green when card is outputing .......

I get Green when I change the slots on the PCI card, but if I leave Power Off and Re-Power on, I get Yellow flashing, NO video at post.
              Last edited by AlienX69; 11 Nov 2006, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• AlienX69
                Interstellar Traveler
                • Feb 2005

With regard to the AGP slot, it's harded because of only having that one slot the mobo doen't recognize when I pull the card and reseat. I even pull the power cord, push Start button a couple of times with cord out ..... then cord back in .... it's hit or miss no pattern ..... I ever put the AGP in after pulling the PCI card, thinking for sure the AGP will go Green .... nope .....

I do have my doubts about the AGP card ..... cuz it won't work PERIOD at ALL in the Chepo ECS mobo (AMD setup) ....

EDIT .... but that could be just the ECS mobo's pickyness to this card, it's mentioned on the web.... that is a dual mobo has PCI x16 Express or AGP
                Last edited by AlienX69; 11 Nov 2006, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

have you tried another agp card? 1.5 volt

with the pci, is there a setting for assign irq for pci video

Comment

• AlienX69
                    Interstellar Traveler
                    • Feb 2005

Don't have another AGP or that would have been my first test !

regarding irq .... not sure .... do you mean form the BIOS ?

There was only a couple of choices ...

Startup : AGP/PCI or PCI/AGP
                    Aperture Size: 64, 128, 256, etc

Looking in the manual some more ....

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

under pci pnp, set pnp to yes
                      allocate irq to pci and have card in pci slot 1

Comment

• AlienX69
                        Interstellar Traveler
                        • Feb 2005

I see where you can set irq to a particular slot .... thing is even if I were to get something working with the PCI it's not even a GOOD card ... antique !!!

I thought about buying another AGP, but that techology is being replaced by the PCI Express slots ... Yes ? ? ?

And the next mobo I buy will be to support the Conroe CPU .... probably no AGP there ... ..... my 184 pin ($200+) ram won't even be any good on that mobo .....

Comment

• AlienX69
                          Interstellar Traveler
                          • Feb 2005

Will try what you mentioned above ...... if I do get stable starts, then I guess I could buy a GOOD PCI Video card !!!

I need to drop out as I need to direct connect the monitor to the vid card .... trying to elim the KVM in the testing .....

Will post back in a few ....

Comment

• AlienX69
                            Interstellar Traveler
                            • Feb 2005

Does it have to be in SLOT 1 ...... because of the way my PCI is made ..... there is a resistor/capacitor on the mobo that keeps me from using Slot 1 .....

Will try slot 2 ..... I thought pnp was set to YES by default ....

Well see what happens .... OUT ! Be back in a few !!!

Comment

• AlienX69
                              Interstellar Traveler
                              • Feb 2005

Boy what a pain this is turn out to be, thought is was going to be so easy after getting the Refurb/Repackaged --> CPU/mobo.

Well it just one step further south ...... the FSP Group "Blue Storm" PS died ... I have two of these but the working one is staying in the AMD box ..... So my only recourse was to install the old PS from the SuperAlienX case back in it powers-up but same stuff ....

Here's the next new part, while I was in the BIOS, I turned on the Voice Monitior .... when the video doesn't work, the voice message is "CPU Failed system test".

It's my understanding that the CPU hardly every fails ... if that is the case I have to assume the second mobo is faulty ?

Almost feel like trashin both ....... frustrated ...... AX

PS: I tried your suggestions in the BIOS no help, probably cuz the mobo or CPU is faulty .... the mobo is definetly a recondition, came is a plain RED box, but you have to believe a recon had to be checked pretty throughly .... wish I had a spare CPU to test mobo .... hate to buy one I would prefer to upgrade to better ......

Comment

• AlienX69
                                Interstellar Traveler
                                • Feb 2005

After gettin the "FSP Group "Blue Storm" PS outta the case and testing further I notice that is still works.

It must have protection for switching on and off if done too often. After about 3-4 quick on and off's it won't power up. If I wait it powers up fine, is my assumption about circuit protection correct or do you think the unit is flakey ?

As far at the CPU/mobo, one is bad as i've tried everything available to test. Even reseated the CPU .... it started up went into XP Pro, but after shutdown same thing "system failed CPU test" at post ....... swapped mem, PS, video, cleared BIOS, disconnect everything except essentials ... still no go !!

Can't beleive that Intel would have sent be a bad CPU. Guess i'll wait to see what ASUS says ..... gotta call em again.

Thought about buying a faster P4 chip (3.0), I rather wait and build a Core Duo later if I could get this P4 (2.4) back up and runnig ..... it does (or did)what I need.

AX

Comment

Working...