X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

irq screenshot?

I don't overclock, so I don't understand what "overclock under computer" means.
    You'll see after you do it. Doesn't matter if you overclock or not, just
    tells some basic stuff that other proggies don't as well.

Comment

• Steve83
      Bronco Guru
      • May 2006

What does this tell you?

It tells me I mixed up the processors. But it still oughtta work.

Was there another screen you wanted to see?

**********EDIT**********
      I just noticed in Sensor, my +12V rail is showing a nice rock-steady +6.40V. That can't be right - the fans are spinning at normal speeds, and the drives are working fine.
      Last edited by Steve83; 13 Jul 2006, 04:39 PM.
      Walk softly and carry a BIG SIX!!!

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

You still have a lot to learn, took me 3 seconds to see you have the mobo jumpered wrong for the cpu. I have been doing this for a long time, I don't like to argue. That 2400 is a 133/266 fsb cpu, change the jumper from 100 to 133, since the memory looks good(kingston value) and you have been underclocking the cpu by 33%, it looks like a power issue. Yes that's why I asked for the sensor page.

lower power can kill every component in the computer, especially motherboards
        Last edited by Chewy; 13 Jul 2006, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• Steve83
          Bronco Guru
          • May 2006

I know there's always a lot to learn, but the mobo manual doesn't show any jumper for FSB speed. (My paper manual is slightly different, but p.16 of that PDF shows the same jumpers.) And since Everest reads the type as 1700, but the name as 1800, I'm confused by your saying 2400, which is what I think SHOULD be in here.

I checked the 12V rail with a meter on a drive power connector and at the aux power connector (4-pin) on the mobo, and it shows a perfectly steady 11.98VDC, so why do you think Everest is saying 6.40? Do you know which pin in the ATX connector is the 12V rail?
          Last edited by Steve83; 14 Jul 2006, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

probably the northbridge and winbond? sensor are overheating and giving
            spurious readings??

heat is an issue, course the powersupply draws it cooling air from within the case which looks like an oven, I'll take my biscuits flacky. jam on the side

see if you can confirm the aux temp by going into bios?
            Last edited by Chewy; 14 Jul 2006, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

I have been using Norton Ghost for years. I backup every couple of weeks to my drive D. If I ever got a problem like a virus, I just do a restore rather than risking viruses that are not completely removed.

I also like Acronis but use the DOS version of Norton more as it is so simple.

Comment

• Steve83
                Bronco Guru
                • May 2006

Well, the case is wide open right now, because of all the fighting I've been doing, so it's not as hot inside as those specific points show. And this is a brand new cheapo mobo, so what are the chances that some sensors are wrong? Assume this one is getting hot &/or giving erroneous readings; why was I having problems from the old mobo?

The temps shown are similar to what I see during POST - this BIOS offers a "PC Health" function which displays that & more at the bottom of the screen during bootup. Is there a way to access the BIOS directly from Windows (other than Everest)?

I'll try to remember to bring my IR thermometer home from work tomorrow & shoot a few spots on the heat sinks, mobo, & PS case. None of them feel abnormally warm to the touch.
                Last edited by Steve83; 14 Jul 2006, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

LM75, pwm, digital temperature sensor, digital sensor, i2c, smbus, 2-wire, digital, analog, speedfan, computer, hardware monitor, fan control, voltages, fan, rpm, hard disk, system management bus, smart, change fan speed, windows 8, scsi, raid, 3ware, lsi, areca, matrix raid

try to get the cpu down to 50-55 under load
                  40 at idle

Comment

• Steve83
                    Bronco Guru
                    • May 2006

OK, but what do you think about the weird voltage readings, the crashing, or the type of CPU that Everest reports? And can I image/copy my HD the way I suggested in my first post in this thread?

Speedfan shows "Unable to use I/O" on the first tab, and most of the other tabs are blank. "EPoX" is not on the pulldown for mobos, and "Read Info" doesn't work.

Comment

• jeo
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Feb 2004

So many many problems could be resolved if people only backed up there system with an image.
                      i don't read the whole thread (i will,no time now) but i have my hint:

in Jan,13-2002 i did one boot cd with ghost loading mouse ,etc.
                      i have images of win98se,2k and Xp.
                      i don't format anything and each month i only do an "update" in my ghost images using ghost explorer(just open and copy the files needed) or doing one new image.
                      the best of all is:
                      i can change to xp,98se or 2k in few minuts!
                      i don't care about virus,don't use any firewall.nothing to protect
                      no fear!
                      this turn the system faster and i don't use ms office too (the great transmissor of virus,i think)
                      if something is strange i only use the boot cd with ghost in one drive and the last image updated in another drive to "reinstall the system choosed".
                      of course i don't delete the last 3 images of each system until i do one new.all images are one cdrw or dvdrw(and in one hd of backup out of the pc).

if someone is interested,i have one tutor in portuguese
                      and one group of files to do the boot cd(less than 1.4Mb).
                      i only can't send the ghost.exe and ghost explorer for know reasons(of course).

regards for all,the whole team still amazing!
                      still sending greens(you can't see but can feel)

geriatric rock fan

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by Steve83
                        OK, but what do you think about the weird voltage readings, the crashing, or the type of CPU that Everest reports? And can I image/copy my HD the way I suggested in my first post in this thread?

Speedfan shows "Unable to use I/O" on the first tab, and most of the other tabs are blank. "EPoX" is not on the pulldown for mobos, and "Read Info" doesn't work.
                        Step 1- Set Dip Switch (CK_RATIO) and system Switch (SW1)
                        The system bus frequency can be switched at 100/133/166MHz by adjusting system switch (SW1).
                        (The internal frequency depend on CPU.)
                        sw1 is to the right of the agp and slightly lower, it's in the default position(up)
                        move it down(133/166fsb)

Displays information from the sensor chips on your motherboard. ...

this discontinued utility might work

Comment

• Steve83
                          Bronco Guru
                          • May 2006

Where did you get those quotes from? My board doesn't have any DIPs. I just found this in the PDF linked above in the last step of Power BIOS:
                          CPU Clock
                          Enables you to set the CPU front side bus speed at increments of 1MHz step. The
                          default is 100 MHz. Press <Enter> to display the following screen:
                          Key in the DEC (decimalism) number for the CPU clock.
                          Note: Overclocking failure will cause no display on monitor. At this instant,
                          press “Insert” key to revert back to the initial or default setting to boot
                          up your system.
                          CPU Ratio
                          This item allows you to select the CPU ratio.
                          Options: Auto, x6 ~ x13.
                          In the paper one, it says:
                          CPU Clock Generator x CPU Clock Ratio = CPU Frequency
                          For example, if you have a processor that is rated at 2.4GHz and the clock generator is 200MHz, then 200MHz x 12 = 2.4GHz
                          BUT...

Since even Everest doesn't seem to be sure about what processor I have, how can I know what numbers to put into the BIOS?

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

(it has an identical NEW EPoX mobo & almost identical processor).
                            I was pulling those specs from the first picture you posted

downloading new manual now

lame for sure, there was no auto setting in bios? weird, set fsb to 133
                            Last edited by Chewy; 15 Jul 2006, 12:34 AM.

Comment

• Steve83
                              Bronco Guru
                              • May 2006

OK Just to review:
                              ...I replaced the mobo last week, but it crashed again. That's when I tried the HD in my spare system & found that THIS TIME, everything was still there, and that system would run off that HD just fine (it has an identical NEW EPoX mobo & almost identical processor).

...I'm using an EPoX mobo right now, but this is how it used to be:

...I specifically remember buying a 2400 processor, but the EPoX BIOS reports it's an 1800.
                              ...and Everest says the type is 1700.
                              ...the mobo manual doesn't show any jumper for FSB speed. (My paper manual is slightly different...)
                              The hottest thing in the case is the HD at ~120°F (only in 1 spot on the bottom near the connectors). Everything else is ~100 or cooler, except the CPU heat sink & southbridge at ~106.

Originally Posted by Chewy
                              set fsb to 133
                              ...and the clock multiplier for the CPU speed? That one has an "Auto" setting, so I guess I'll leave it there.

According to AMD in this PDF, IF I had a 2400, this would be its specs:

Originally Posted by AMD
                              Frequency in MHz = 2000
                              Model Number = 2400+
                              VCC_CORE (Core Voltage) = 1.65 V
                              ICC (Processor Current) Working State C0, Max (Typ) = 41.4 A (32.5 A)
                              ICC (Processor Current) Stop Grant S1, Max (Typ) = 8.9 A (5.4 A)
                              Thermal Power, Max (Typ) = 68.3 W (53.7 W)
                              Maximum Die Temperature = 85°C
                              The 1800 & 1700 have almost identical numbers, in this PDF. For all 3 types,
                              Originally Posted by AMD
                              Clock Frequency, Min (Max) = 50 (133) MHz
                              The AMD Athlonâ„¢ system bus operates at twice this clock frequency.
                              I guess I'll have to pull the CPU heat sink, clean the grease off, & try to read the numbers to find out what I put in here.
                              Last edited by Steve83; 15 Jul 2006, 03:52 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2003

that 85 is the die temp and usually about 15-20 degrees above the temp shown, at that temp they don't last long.
                                the cpu should be multiplier locked, once you set the fsb.

15 x 133 = 2000

the 1700 or 1800 did not come in a 100, 166 or 200 fsb

I built and had a lot of those cpu's

Comment

Working...