X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottw2685
    Still Learning
    • Mar 2007

I just started folding today I hope it will help the cause and earn points for the forum. by the way how will it lead to speed increases?

Scottw2685

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

hi scottw2685 and welcome to the team!

what excatcly did you mean by this:
      by the way how will it lead to speed increases?

Comment

• scottw2685
        Still Learning
        • Mar 2007

It said in your first post "New clients are available and they might lead to a severe speed increase!" it also said " it will test the reliability of your machine ( new or old). I was just wondering what that meant or how it does this?

Scottw2685

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

ah, okay, i see what you're driving at

the new Folding @ Home clients CAN be faster than older ones as new clients make additional use of ATI gfx cards or rather the ability of some of the latest ati cards to let the GPU calculate parts of the projects

then there are the new SMP clients (like the one i'm running on my core duo macbook) which are faster than older clients for MAC OSX or LINUX

so there has been a speed increase in these folding clients

and concerning "reliability tests":
          a cpu intensive program like folding@home which stresses your system for hours will demonstrate if your system runs stable (e.g. after overclocking) or it will make your OS crash in no time

i hope you did not misread my initial posting in the way that running the F@H client will speed up your system? because this will not be the case - on the contrary!

Comment

• scottw2685
            Still Learning
            • Mar 2007

F@h

No, I did not think it would speed up my CPU I was just curious is all. I understand the purpose behind it, even if I don't really understand EXACTLY what it is doing. But, That is not really important to me if it helps in some way to find cures for these diseases. That is what matters and helping the forum is just a bonus as far as I am concerned.

Scottw2685

Oh, by the way it is 10:45 AM on the 19th and has been running for several hours and my OS is still running fine so everything seems alright.

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

and my OS is still running fine so everything seems alright
              let's hope this will never change

i have overclocked my new system by 20% and so far all runs fine here as well

Comment

• soup
                Just Trying To Help
                • Nov 2005

scottw2685.

Comment

• Pseudonym34
                  "There are two types of sacrifices - sound ones and mine." - Tal
                  • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Furiousg
                  I believe you want to get to the setup criteria again right?

If so, right click on the shortcut on your desktop (make one if you don't have one) and move to the TARGET line, scroll to the end and add "-config" then save. The next time you use the shortcut it will load to the settings if you wish to change them.

Oh also, make sure to add a space before " -config" or it will not work. And then just remove the tag to start normally
                  Thanks FuriousG! I finally got it up and running. I had forgotten about creating the shortcut. Anyway, thanks again FG!

"How does Tal win? He developes all his pieces to the center and then sacrifices them somewhere." -Bobby Fischer

Comment

• Furiousg
                    If you have any poo....throw it now
                    • Dec 2005

No problem Pseudo Anything for a teammate
                    -FuriousG-

Comment

• jm1647
                      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                      • Apr 2005

Interesting and disturbing news last night on my local channel 6. There is a new case of Alzheimers diagnosed in America every 72 seconds!!!! Right now over 5,000,000 cases diagnosed in America and one woman was only 42 years old. It was a jump of 10% since the year 2000.

And as America ages it is gonna get worse. The cost for care right now is $148,000,000,000 a year (thats billions).

Alzheimers is one if the diseases that Folding at Home is working on. I'm glad I started to fold to help find a cure because the clock is ticking and one of the people that might be helped in the future is me.

Comment

• Furiousg
                        • Dec 2005

@Uncas
                        I was just looking at our team page to see how the new members are doing, and noticed that you and I are very close to each other in work unit counts, but I have a much lower total accumulation of points per WU. Do I perhaps have it configured improperly?? I think I used pretty much all of the default settings other than team# and User. Should I post a log of my config?
                        -FuriousG-

Comment

• Furiousg
                          • Dec 2005

Wow!!! That is pretty depressing news JM. Thanks for brightening up my morning LOL. I too am glad I can do a bit to help

On that same topic, IIRC I heard or read recently that they have found something with Alzheimers but I can't recall what it was I heard I do believe it was really good news though. I will have a look around to see what it was I saw LOL
                          -FuriousG-

Comment

• jm1647
                            An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                            • Apr 2005

Wow!!! That is pretty depressing news JM. Thanks for brightening up my morning LOL. I too am glad I can do a bit to help

On that same topic, IIRC I heard or read recently that they have found something with Alzheimers but I can't recall what it was I heard I do believe it was really good news though. I will have a look around to see what it was I saw LOL

Good news about this or any other health problem is nice!! On the news last night IIRC there are 2 new drugs coming out that may help. At the present time the drugs out there only work for around 18 months and then stop. Sorta reminds me of that movie Awakenings with DeNiro and Williams.

When you ran the config did you answer yes to accept large WUs? They give bonus points. I just got done 1 of them I think a 500 pointer, WU 2415.

Edit -The WUs >5MB and other settings are explained in the config FAQ http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-settings.html

And to UncasMS and FuriousG
                            on finishing 200 WUs !!!!

Edit again I think the news might be that they can test to see if you have a gene or whatever it is that shows you may get Alzheimers
                            Last edited by jm1647; 22 Mar 2007, 03:09 AM.

Comment

• soup
                              Just Trying To Help
                              • Nov 2005

200 WU's wow, way to go.

Comment

• UncasMS
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2001

@Uncas
                                I was just looking at our team page to see how the new members are doing, and noticed that you and I are very close to each other in work unit counts, but I have a much lower total accumulation of points per WU. Do I perhaps have it configured improperly?? I think I used pretty much all of the default settings other than team# and User. Should I post a log of my config?
                                hi furiousg,

we in deed have a similar amount of WU but especially the SMP folding client which i run on my dual core macbook earns me way more pts than other clients

i have worked on project 2605 for weeks now - take a look at that project to see what i mean

Comment

Working...