X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

@soup thanks I been a memebr there and posted since the server proble about a month or so ago. I made a post in the stop and restart topic for a safe backup and restore procedure. I tried it but I think a problem with the services running. I read tonight where ya hafta use the ctrl+c to close (which I do ) and tyhat you have to wait about 4 minutes because it might still be writing stuff. I seen all the services that go with the SMP client too, the for client, the smpd and the mpi thingie too. Maybe I wan't waiting long enuff to restart it.

Everything was going fine folding both times. 1 time I raised the OC a lill and restsrted it and lost it. I lowered it a lil bit and it was going great , shut it down waited, went to restatrt and boom it was gone again, this time at 41% I think.

Theres gotta be a way to restore the SMP client data from a backup in case it happens so ya don't lose everything I hope.

Edit - I read a lil bit ago if ya shut it down it is a good idea to reboot
    Last edited by jm1647; 17 May 2007, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

jm, HOW did you shut down your client?

always use "ctrl+c" and when restarting make sure (via taskmanager) that no mpiexec and fah.exe are running - kill them with taskmanager if necessary

then run install.bat and finally fah.exe from your smp directory

Comment

• jm1647
        • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by UncasMS
        jm, HOW did you shut down your client?

always use "ctrl+c" and when restarting make sure (via taskmanager) that no mpiexec and fah.exe are running - kill them with taskmanager if necessary

then run install.bat and finally fah.exe from your smp directory
        UncasMS - I do use the CTRL+C to close. But didn't know about killing the processes.

You mean rerun the install.bat everytime you restart the client?

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

The main thing I found out is that when using the windows SMP client, your machine has to be extremely stable. If you have time & read through these, I think you will see what I mean. The first one I kind of took off topic towards the end.

The above one is not the same error as you posted but has some interesting insight.

Comment

• jm1647
            • Apr 2005

@soup - Thanks for the links

@UncasMS - I seen the post where 7im recommended to run install.bat aftyer shutting down before restarting.

I got a 2610 chugging along at 41% again with no shiudown so far

Comment

• soup
              Just Trying To Help
              • Nov 2005

I was just there & somebody did post after your last one. Here are some 3rd party tools for Folders. The only one I use is FahMon so I don't know anything about the others.

@jm1647, With my problems there was a few tweaks done to my machine but from what I was told the main culprit was Memory Voltage.

Comment

• jm1647
                • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by soup
                I was just there & somebody did post after your last one. Here are some 3rd party tools for Folders. The only one I use is FahMon so I don't know anything about the others.

@jm1647, With my problems there was a few tweaks done to my machine but from what I was told the main culprit was Memory Voltage.
                soup - I read your topic at the F@H forum and also run FahMon now.
                Mine never shutown or crashed while running, no EUE or nothing so far with the 2 that got to 51 and 42%. The 2 lost WUs that happened to me were lost upon restarting and I got a communication error.

For caca and giggles last night I shut the 2610 core down, waited a minute, reran install.bat and then restarted 2610 again with no problem. Not to jinx myself but I think I'm outta the woods and on the way to grandma's house. Right now this 2610 is at 78% and humming.

What UncasMS mentioned and 7im posted (running install.bat on the SMP client) before restarting seems to be the ticket if you hafta shut the sore down and restart.

I had the SMP directory backed up and tried to replace it but got the same error probably because I didn't run the install.bat. I'm gonna setup to backup the directory every 2 hours anyway just in case of any future problems but I think I'm good to go.

Comment

• soup
                  Just Trying To Help
                  • Nov 2005

Glad to hear it (touch wood). So far since the tweaks I haven't had to use the install.bat yet, just Ctrl+C & then just give it a minute or check the Task manager to make sure everything that is supposed to be shutdown is. Then I can log off & logon to another (password) user or restart, then kick it back in. It always says improper shutdown but as long as you see that SSE OK instead of errors, you are good to go.

--- Opening Log file [May 18 18:18:41]

# SMP Client ################################################## ################
                  ################################################## #############################

Folding@Home Client Version 5.91beta

################################################## #############################

Launch directory: C:\Program Files\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01
                  Executable: C:\Program Files\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01\fah.exe

[18:18:41] - Ask before connecting: No
                  [18:18:41] - User name: DVFsoup (Team 51205)
                  [18:18:41] - Machine ID: 7
                  [18:18:41]
                  [18:18:41] Loaded queue successfully.
                  [18:18:41] + Processing work unit
                  [18:18:41] Core required: FahCore_a1.exe
                  [18:18:41] Core found.
                  [18:18:41] Working on Unit 07 [May 18 18:18:41]
                  [18:18:41] + Working ...
                  [18:18:41] *------------------------------*
                  [18:18:41] Folding@Home Gromacs SMP Core
                  [18:18:41] Version 1.74 (March 10, 2007)
                  [18:18:41] Preparing to commence simulation
                  [18:18:41] - Ensuring status. Please wait.
                  [18:18:58] - Looking at optimizations...
                  [18:18:58] - Working with standard loops on this execution.
                  [18:18:58] - Previous termination of core was improper.
                  [18:18:58] - Going to use standard loops.
                  [18:18:58] - Files status OK
                  [18:19:08] - Expanded 4021058 -> 21619596 (decompressed 537.6 percent)
                  [18:19:08]
                  [18:19:08] Project: 2610 (Run 0, Clone 985, Gen 10)
                  [18:19:08]
                  [18:19:16] Entering M.D.
                  [18:19:23] Calling FAH init
                  [18:19:25] Writing local files
                  [18:19:25] Completed 13000 out of 500000 steps (2 percent)
                  [18:19:25] tein
                  [18:19:25] Writing local files
                  [18:19:25] Completed 13000 out of 500000 steps (2 percent)
                  [18:19:26] Extra SSE boost OK.
                  [18:30:54] Writing local files
                  [18:30:54] Completed 15000 out of 500000 steps (3 percent)
                  [18:58:43] Writing local files
                  [18:58:43] Completed 20000 out of 500000 steps (4 percent)
                  [19:26:33] Writing local files
                  [19:26:33] Completed 25000 out of 500000 steps (5 percent)
                  [19:54:03] Writing local files
                  [19:54:03] Completed 30000 out of 500000 steps (6 percent)
                  [20:21:37] Writing local files
                  [20:21:37] Completed 35000 out of 500000 steps (7 percent)
                  [20:50:08] Writing local files
                  [20:50:08] Completed 40000 out of 500000 steps (8 percent)
                  Last edited by soup; 19 May 2007, 06:57 AM.

Comment

• jm1647
                    • Apr 2005

Yeah I'm glad for you too I had assumed (oooh I hate that word) that everything would shut down automatically and not hafta be shut down in Task Manager but seen it posted to check that also. It was also posted that it could write files up to 4 minutes after shutdown which is weird. I'm gonna use the rerun of install.bat if I ever have to shutdown again. It worked for me last night. I didn't do any tweeks or anything to any of the voltages or anything. All I did was rerun install.bat before restarting.

I also seen where -forceasm is built into the SMP core and that the using standard loops can appear in the beginning but we are good to go if the Extra SSE boost shows up a lil down below.

As the SMP client is still in beta so we have to bear with it's lil oddities but it looks like we are both using it now so we can

Keep them proteins folding
                    folding, folding, folding
                    yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Comment

• soup
                      Just Trying To Help
                      • Nov 2005

I hear you, as long as it works & keeps us Folding (YAHOO).

Comment

• UncasMS
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2001

it's nice to see some more smp clients running lately - they will earn the team good points

and in case you see any PS3 around - go nick it, leave a note saying it's all for the sake of mankind and let it fold like crazy

Comment

• jm1647
                          • Apr 2005

Got my first SMP done, a 2610 and working on a 2652. Weird the 2652 is more points and folding faster

Comment

• soup
                            Just Trying To Help
                            • Nov 2005

Congrats jm1647, not only for the successful Fold but the build as well. As the Bay City Rollers would have sang, "Keep on Folding".

Last edited by soup; 19 May 2007, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• jm1647
                              • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by soup
                              Congrats jm1647, not only for the successful Fold but the build as well. As the Bay City Rollers would have sang, "Keep on Folding".
                              You too soup, I'm glad to see you all settled out and doing fine also!.
                              That 2610 WU is the beast, like UncasMS said it is cache hungry, The Brisbane has 2X 512MB but I'm getting almost 300 more PPD with the 2652

Comment

• Pseudonym34
                                "There are two types of sacrifices - sound ones and mine." - Tal
                                • Nov 2006

No description

How is it that my project I am currently working on, P2080, has no description under the "Project Descriptions"?

"How does Tal win? He developes all his pieces to the center and then sacrifices them somewhere." -Bobby Fischer

Comment

Working...