X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Medved
    • May 2005

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0

If anyone can help...

Recently did a clean install of windows xp, running abit nf7-s with a pioneer 107D.

When I insert a disc in the drive and go to my computer, nothing appears on the display screen until I remove the disc. Nero also hangs when loading with a disc inserted. Event viewer shows multiple errors stating "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0"

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks
  • mill
    Im Off To See The Wizard
    • Oct 2005

Have you checked your divice mgn for any warnings since your clean install?
    Last edited by mill; 30 Sep 2006, 11:42 PM.
    Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Medved
      • May 2005

Device manager shows no warnings.

Im using Microsoft driver v. 5.1.2600.2180 for IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, the dvd drive is recognised as 107D and the firmware is the latest for this drive.

Strange thing is my 109 is hooked up the other IDE and is working flawlessly.

Thanks

Comment

• kevdriver
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • May 2005

MedVed, just for fun, switch your drives around on the IDE's and reboot and see if that does it, hope your IDE controller isn't crapping out, but doubt it as everything is being recognized correctly........... This is just a shot in the dark, from a past experience.......... Good Luck mate.....
        Oils well thats ends well.

Comment

• Medved
          • May 2005

Have tried both drives with both cables in both IDE connectors. The 109 works with any setup, which leads me to think theres a problem with the drive.

Would a bios update be any use?

Comment

• mill
            Im Off To See The Wizard
            • Oct 2005

I would not mess with the bios. Unless you feel confident about it. It sounds like the drive itself.
            Last edited by mill; 1 Oct 2006, 02:12 AM.
            Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Medved
              • May 2005

using the IDE drivers that came with the mobo, my system doesn't hang but I get a communication failure when burning with nero.

Not convinced the drives at fault. Think its a driver issue although I've checked them and they all seem to be the correct ones in place.

Comment

• mill
                Im Off To See The Wizard
                • Oct 2005

Communication failure? Can you post a nero log.

12. I got the 'Communication failure' message during the write process. Why?

This error message can be caused by the following:

Old IDE controller drivers - This is the most common cause of this error message. You must have the latest drivers for your IDE controller card to prevent it. (It´s the same for SCSI cards). Go to the website of the manufacturer of your controller card and obtain the latest drivers. Such as Intel, VIA, SIS, etc.
                DMA settings - You may have DMA disabled for your CD-/DVD-ROM and recorder devices. You should enable this feature. If you have old drivers (even if you have the latest in some cases), DMA may not be properly supported, even though you can enable it. You should try with DMA disabled if you still have problems having enabled it.
                Enable or disable DMA:
                To enable DMA in Windows 2000/XP, simply go to your 'Control Panel --> Systems --> Hardware --> Device Manager'. Double click on the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers'. Right click on the 'Primary IDE Channel', go to 'Properties --> Advanced Settings' and change ´Transfer Mode´ to 'DMA if available'. Do the same for the secondary IDE channel.
                For Windows 9x and ME, go to your 'Control Panel --> System --> Device Manager --> CD-ROM' and under the devices 'Properties --> Settings' enable or disable DMA.
                Driver conflicts - You may have (or had) other CD recording software installed on your system. Their drivers can cause conflicts with our software when trying to communicate to the recorder. Please remove any other recording program you may have on your system and be sure all their drivers are removed as well.
                Poor IDE cables - In many cases, with the recorders supporting UDMA, you must use 80pin IDE cables. 40pin IDE cables work with the recorder, but when it comes to the actual recording process, there may be problems. You may just have an IDE cable that is in poor condition and need to replace it, too. Or try a different connector on that IDE cable as the connector could be the cause.
                CSEL - If your devices are jumpered with CSEL, your controller could be having trouble with this setting. It's best to change it, so that you have your devices jumpered as master or slave. Refer to the manual on your CD-ROM, DVD-ROM and recorder devices for how to do this.

Last edited by mill; 1 Oct 2006, 05:15 AM.
                Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Medved
                  • May 2005

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0

Attached is a nero log when I had the Abit IDE drivers installed.

I rolled back to the microsoft drivers which fixed the 109 but the 107 with disc inserted stalls the pc when loading nero or my computer so no log available.

Thanks for your help Mill & Kevdriver

Comment

• mill
                    Im Off To See The Wizard
                    • Oct 2005

Run nero info tool and post the log from it, maybe that will give some more clues?
                    Nero Platinum - 7 programmes en une suite ! ✓ Montage vidéo ✓ Streaming ✓ Sécurité des données ✓ Conversion ✓ Gravure ✓ Radio mondiale ► Plus d'informations
                    Last edited by mill; 1 Oct 2006, 05:59 AM.
                    Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Medved
                      • May 2005

Reload this Page The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0

Nero Info Tool Log attached.

Cheers
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

well the drive may be dying, but
                        1. use the each burner as master on seperate cables
                        2. unmount the virtual drive
                        3. make sure anydvd doesn't load at startup and turn it off after using it

Comment

• Medved
                          • May 2005

1. Each drive already on seperate cables
                          2. Unmounted and removed
                          3. Exited, removed autostart and rebooted.

No change... Sure I had this problem before, just wish I could remember how I fixed it.

btw, really impressed with this forum, all my posts have been answered within 30mins, Cheers.

Comment

• mill
                            Im Off To See The Wizard
                            • Oct 2005

Read the third post?
                            I'm running XP Sp2 and have a Pioneer 107D burner, firmware 1.13. I'm also using Nero 6.6.0.1. I've never had any problems with the burner before...

PS thanks for stepping in chewy im just taking pot shots.
                            Last edited by mill; 1 Oct 2006, 09:02 AM.
                            Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Medved
                              • May 2005

Dont think its a problem with disc types or nero>pioneer compatibility as I had these working before reformatting. In fact I can rule this out as my system stalls when a disc is inserted even before opening any recording software.

The other suggestion from those links to use Intel Application Accelerator is not compatible with my setup.

With 2 pioneer drives, running identical IDE drivers both set as master I really can't understand why one would work and not the other.

Comment

Working...