• Nov 2003

you are using this version and btw it's 2 1/2 years old

think how old sp1 is?

that's why you found no comments at newegg

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

The penguin comes prepared with open source drivers, no issues on any of the four Asus motherboards here
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

what do you think about the dueling vid card issue?

anony?

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

Setting the default display device to PCI-E then installing Nvidia drivers should do the trick, may not be need for a clean install.

Install the Cool 'n' Quiet driver from AMD to take care of "System Interrupt Controller". As for the USB controller, double click it and hit update; as Chewy said, SP2 should have done that.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

wonder if it caught the agp driver or having onboard active and and nvidia card installed hosed it?

another thing is I wonder if the onboard vid drivers had a chipset inf for the northbridge?

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

Newegg says the mobo doesn't have an AGP slot, if he hasn't installed the S3 drivers, no harm done I think, disabling in the BIOS and removing via Device Manager might do it.

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

sorry about the slip(agp was integrated into the northbridge with usb control functions)

substitute pci-e 16 controller for agp

Comment

• katzdvd
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Feb 2006

sorry about the slip(agp was integrated into the northbridge with usb control functions)

substitute pci-e 16 controller for agp
                  I was confused when you mentioned about agp, but forgot to say anything.
                  if he hasn't installed the S3 drivers, no harm done I think, disabling in the BIOS and removing via Device Manager might do it.
                  I haven't installed any drivers yet, just xp & sp2. Right now, I am working on creating a slipstream cd.
                  Before we simply burn the resulting file set to a CD, we need to make sure we have a hidden file found on your XP CD-ROM that will make your new CD bootable. We can't grab this file with My Computer, but will instead use a shareware tool called ISOBuster,
                  Do you guys use ISO buster? I am following Paul Thurrott's guide, although they all seem pretty much the same?

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

is the easiest I have seen

anony reccomended it

Comment

• katzdvd
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Feb 2006

http://www.nliteos.com/

is the easiest I have seen

anony reccomended it
                      Wow, you fellows know the best source on everything! I will use that one, for sure. Everyone here should know about this one! mill, I know you are doing a fresh install right now, take notice of this!
                      1. nLite allows you to customize your installation of Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows 2003. You can integrate service packs and hotfixes from Microsoft directly into your windows distribution files without having to re-download and install them every time you need to re-install windows.

2. There is also the option to remove unwanted components from within windows. Many applications are automatically included every time windows is installed. Not every person needs or even wants all of these applications which Microsoft considers to be necessary. By removing these unwanted components you can free up space within your setup and ultimately save space on your hard drive after installation.

3. nLite also provides a way to customize your installation by allowing numerous tweaks to the way windows looks and operates after it has been installed. You can even bypass Microsoft's bulky unattended setup instructions and do it the easy way. The nLite way!

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

3 years ago I slipstreamed sp1 into the original XP, after printing out 6 pages of directions and 2 hours later and a lot of bad typing long commands, I had it done, then I found out about copy and paste working

run forrest run/chewy duh

Comment

• doctorhardware
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Dec 2006

Everyone has brain farts now and then. LOL
                          Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

It was a year later when a friend who was in tech school told me about it when his instructor covered it in their sys admin class

Comment

• katzdvd
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Feb 2006

3 years ago I slipstreamed sp1 into the original XP, after printing out 6 pages of directions and 2 hours later and a lot of bad typing long commands, I had it done, then I found out about copy and paste working

run forrest run/chewy duh
                              Well, I almost went that far, lol! Ignorance is bliss... Thanks again for reigning me in before I spent too much time on it!

Comment

• JakeBlues
                                Digital Video Enthusiast
                                Digital Video Enthusiast
                                • Dec 2006

[quote=katzdvd;526016]... "Ignorance is bliss...
                                I saw Chewy say this to this refering to people that could NOT use the cd-dvd speed.
                                He is right!!!!!!!!!.. Ignorance is bliss!

I mean I could make sub-par back-ups and never know it, as long as they played in my dvd/sony/5.1dts digital surround entertainment system...
                                But Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I had to use the cd-dvd speed program to use read the quality of burn, instead of just "my eye says it's ok..so it's ok". (sighs)
                                I drive myself crazy worrying about the quality of the burn... I am a virgo and it bothers me until I get it correct!!!!
                                BUT I REFUSE TO GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS THIS......... HAS ANYONE, I MEAN ANYONE PERSON ON THIS FORUM, PRO OR NEWBIE GOT A 100% quality burn!????
                                If they have... I'll keep trying.. if they haven't I'll stop beating myself up!
                                (heh) sorry for the tyrate, but I want to see one 100% burn and HOW they did it.
                                Peace and Hugs (hehehe)
                                ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!

Comment

Working...