Jake Wants a New Computer or to build one!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeBlues
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Dec 2006

Chew Monster...

Ok look at these video cards.. I am not sure the BRAND name that Katz was talking about..... But I need one also. What are the differences in these cards (so that the dumb like me can understand)
    And which one of the 3 stand out.. and why.
    I am SOOOOOOOOOOO close to the end of my journey...
    Attached Files
    ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!

Comment

• katzdvd
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Feb 2006

Tell me about the GeForce 7600GT
      I am usually an ATI man, but Chewy mentioned in another thread that his son used a card such as this & was pleased w/ it. (I hope I got that right, from memory)

I believe anony recommended it too, if memory serves me right...I am getting forgetful...

I already have vid. capture capabilities on my main pc, so I didn't need a 2nd. card in that camp. Both of my (main) pc's will be vid. & audio editing machines, & I also needed a card that would be suitable for gaming for my son.

The BFG GeForce 7600GT OC got good reviews (who believes those reviews?!?) & it had a nice rebate $50 on it (which I am still waiting for --- ) so all that combined influenced my purchase.

Comment

• JakeBlues
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Dec 2006

Can you point the way!?

Dang that's a $200 and change card!!! It's runs hot or cold for $250.. outta my range.
        Last edited by JakeBlues; 26 Mar 2007, 12:27 PM. Reason: more info
        ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!

Comment

• volfann
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Jun 2006

The 7600 GT OC version is a very good card for the money. Got one for my wife a few months ago to replace the stock card in her XPS machine. She loves it. If I had PCI express in my 4600 I would have gotten one for myself. I think I paid $100 after rebate which I received after only a few weeks.
          sigpic

Rent This Space

Comment

• katzdvd
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Feb 2006

Dang that's a $200 and change card!!! It's runs hot or cold for $250.. outta my range.
            I forget the exact amount I paid for it - i would have to dig out the receipt somewhere, but I think it will be right around $100, maybe a bit more. That is after I get the $50 rebate check

After dealing with hassles over the years of capturing problems, vid. games not working properly, buggy drivers, etc., I have learned not to cut corners on a good video card.

'Course, I guess you could use that same argument for any piece of hardware - U get what U pay for!

Too bad mediocre games like the sims need top notch video cards to run! I mean come on! After all, it's just 3-d "cartoon" characters walking around!

No high tech rendering going on, such as bombs, missiles, etc.

32 MB onboard vid. memory just doesn't cut it anymore!

Comment

• JakeBlues
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Dec 2006

yeah the first prices I checked were amazon's should have known better.. most are just over $100 and change...I think I found ONE like your for a steal I'll have to wait until the auction's finished though.

Comment

• JakeBlues
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Dec 2006

Update!!!!!!!! Jake's Computer talley/Cost... so far!

Originally Posted by JakeBlues
                2 maxtor 40 gig hard drives... $39.99 each
                (I could have 80 gig HDs for the same price but western digital quality has suffered alot in the last few years)

1 U.S. Robotics USR5670 56Kbps PCI Bus (Plug & Play) Faxmodem $15.99 ...BUT only $5.99 after rebates!(we only have dialup service where I live)

1 APEVIA CF4SL-URED 80mm Red LED Case Fan - $4.49 (for the hell of it) Sold it today for $5.00 to my co-worker that thought his computer needed a new one! Free! EDIT: Today a boy next to my Business gave me A FREE Fan off the side of a GREEN SIDED Case and the cover of the vent Look at picture!!!! FREE!!!

1 SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model SFD321B/LBL1 .. $6.99 ..well the case is black and I have NO stores near me, I could have used the old one but ehhh, so good enough

1 Microsoft CA9-00001 Black 103 Normal Keys 3 Function Keys PS/2 Standard Basic Keyboard and Mouse ..$16.99
                (OK OK I could have had them cheaper but #1 you know how hard to find black is in PS 2? #2 I hate USB KB and Mice never have much luck from them.) ..also if I paid shipping from another place it would cost me even more!

2 SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner With LightScribe Technology ..$31.99 ea
                (they bitset right out of the box, I want 2 to take the load of burning and ripping off ONE drive alone and they have a great rating in consumer satisfaction .. I could give a damn less about the LightScribe it wasn't even a factor in the purchase, and CHEWY turned me on to them!)

One BIG ASS ATX CASE! (http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5124886)
                Ultra Wizard Black Mid Tower Case .. $40.00 cost, free shipping and Handling $40 rebate = FREE!!!!!!!!

Edit #2 ULTRA PRODUCTS ULT31841 V-Series ATX Power Supply 500 watt power supply.
                $23.40 + 6.99 shipping from Amazon.com ,Applied for Amazon.com Visa card gave me $30.00 off my order so I paid $0.39 cent for this item!!
                Whoo Hooo

Edit #3:Asus A8V-VM SE K8m890 939 Mother Board: $59.99 -$10.00 discount $49.99 also free shipping!!!!

Edit #3 cont:AMD A64 4000+ 2.4 G 939 1m 9on (90N?) $77.99 Part of Combo Order Free Shipping!!!!!
                $302.30 and think any shipping was under $18 so far
                Attached Files
                Last edited by JakeBlues; 27 Mar 2007, 11:45 AM. Reason: edit info and updating

Comment

• katzdvd
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Feb 2006

Jake -

since HD are so cheap nowadays, & considering the advantages of SATA, & wanting to keep IDE ports free on the mainboard, I am wondering why you haven't considered going with SATA; A few months ago, I put a 250 GB Seagate in for around $80 (I think it was)

My goal was to keep all the IDE ports open for as many burners as I could stuff in the pc!

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

yes, katz is right, why waste a pata ide connector on a hard drive

Comment

• jm1647
                      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                      • Apr 2005

Anybody still looking for a HDD that won't break the bank

200GB SATA II/300 8MB buffer 3yr warranty from Maxtor at frys.com with free shipping $49.99

Comment

• JakeBlues
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • Dec 2006

Chewy & Katz...Funny thing is....HEELLLLPP!!

Originally Posted by katzdvd
                        Jake -

since HD are so cheap nowadays, & considering the advantages of SATA, & wanting to keep IDE ports free on the mainboard, I am wondering why you haven't considered going with SATA; A few months ago, I put a 250 GB Seagate in for around $80 (I think it was)

My goal was to keep all the IDE ports open for as many burners as I could stuff in the pc!
                        I was laying in bed planning out building this thing in the next few days, and THAT sorta came to mind, but NOT like that....
                        Well I either read here or someone told me that's it's harder to boot from the sata drive. I know the ease of and am comfortable with IDE.
                        Then after that fact I was reading SOMETHING about NOT slaving the two burners together (**&^#$%^&!!!).
                        It's not like I plan to burn and read at the same time...
                        So at THIS point I am confused what to do!!!!!!!!
                        Considering this board and What I have so far anyone have any Ideas?
                        Chewy!?..Guys...
                        I have REALLY worked hard to get to this point and don't want to blow it now!
                        HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!
                        Last edited by JakeBlues; 27 Mar 2007, 09:59 PM. Reason: info added

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

now jake, you said you were ready to build a computer, might as well do it right, so even if sata is a little harder don't sweat it.

Comment

• JakeBlues
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            • Dec 2006

HELLLLLLLLLLP setting up Computer (Help part 2) hehe

Originally Posted by Chewy
                            now jake, you said you were ready to build a computer, might as well do it right, so even if sata is a little harder don't sweat it.
                            ... Yeah, semi-ready, I was plotting out an area to set up a table so when I can leave the work undisturbed I could... I was thinking about silly things like "ok do I install the PS supply first so I'f it drops or fall so I don't injure the mother board... was thinking about tools and screws I was going to need.
                            Hoping the mother board came with the damn diagram.. etc etc.
                            But what the heck am I suppose to do with 2 ide hard drives?
                            ... and honestly, i don't know how to get it to boot from sata, I've never done it! ( I wish I'd never heard that)

My money has been kept in line as far as my budget goes.. don't wanna ruin THAT now. (&%%$(&&&%%&*((^%$!)
                            Got Milk!? err mean ideas?

PS. what about memory? You gave the warning about using the 939/amd combo when getting memory, err something I wanna get THAT right.
                            Last edited by JakeBlues; 27 Mar 2007, 10:14 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

there goes the budget

Comment

• JakeBlues
                                Digital Video Enthusiast
                                Digital Video Enthusiast
                                • Dec 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
                                ..Laugh it up fuzzball!!!
                                (wahaha I've been dying to use that one!!)

"But what the heck am I suppose to do with 2 ide hard drives?
                                ... and honestly, i don't know how to get it to boot from sata, I've never done it! ( I wish I'd never heard that)"

YOUR THOUGHTS!???(don't leave me hanging now bro... you've lead me THIS far! hehe)

I've never seen "ballstix" but they LOOK COOL, I honestly have seen again and again like a ton of memory $9 or so after rebates. So I'm still holding out just a few more days or so.......

Is it also TRUE about NOT slaving the burners together?!!
                                Last edited by JakeBlues; 28 Mar 2007, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Working...