Jake Wants a New Computer or to build one!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Usually with the HDDs it's the opposite format it and ya lose alot of GBs. I think my 500GB went down to 465GB after format. I forget who it was, but somebody sued one of the drive mfrs and got big $$$$ for sorta false advertising the capacity because it was before formatting
    Yeah, sorta like that whole wattage thing w/ amps;

Total amp power: 300 watt
    RMS = 180 ??? what I paid for 300!

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

And with the SATA HDDs, the newer ones are SATA II 300 but can run on a SATA I/150 mobo leaving the jumper on. I got a SATA I mobo and 2 SATA II drives right now, sorta like running NASCAR with the restricter plate under the carb.

Comment

• katzdvd
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Feb 2006

And with the SATA HDDs, the newer ones are SATA II 300 but can run on a SATA I/150 mobo leaving the jumper on.
        Yeah, that's what I am doing right now - works fine, but I feel like I could go faster

Comment

• JakeBlues
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Dec 2006

Originally Posted by katzdvd
          PCI/IDE add on cards, issues with BIOS/ buggy drivers. Don't worry about it 'till you cross that bridge
          Cool Beans! I saw a card on Amazon that said IDE-Sata or Visa-Versa.. umm something card is THAT what the heck you guys are talking about?

You say that now, but wait 'till the burning "bug" bites you full force!
          If I told you my second job you'd go "well dayum" and I don't have no "burning Bug" just one movie and one copy at a time.. no dups needed

Sure, you can always upgrade later when the funds aren't so tight - take care of that baby for now!
          So I am I to understand that IF later I Bought a sata larger drive it will work as a primary drive and can use it for the main/boot and the other 2 IDE HDs for back ups?

SATA is just a nice way to go if you are able to take advantage of it with you mobo. Something to look into for the future of this pc.
          Well Chewy turned you ON to the same Mo-Bo and CPU, there is no reason it should not work!?

I have (4) printers on USB, & a hub for mp3 player, etc. I hate USB mouse & keyboards too!
          ChRIzt-Oh-Freaken-Mightyz. what do you do with all them printers? I only NEED one (I wish I had my old HP 4L about now) You have and use much more things than I need

CopyOnTheFly It's wookie termonology - you'll learn to understand it once you're here long enough
          Ahh COOL!

They always do...
          Katz.. (n then chewy and may a FEW others I am wondering... What you read about me and the ONE copy at a time and I am in No hurry and no muli-tasking as far as burning.. gaming... reading... etc etc.. does it SOUND like I am OK with the selections I have made?
          I am worried to death.... sorry
          ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!

Comment

• NightTran
            King of Digital Video
            King of Digital Video
            • Aug 2005

I dont know if this is relate or not, I have 4 Sata drives, I can down load to one, convert with two and burn from the last one to one of my IDE burner at the same time and never have problem
            sigpic

Comment

• jm1647
              • Apr 2005

Yeah, that's what I am doing right now - works fine, but I feel like I could go faster
              Most of what we do with DVD's like ripping/burning, encoding/transcoding wouldn't benefit from the SATA II but booting from one I think would be nice. ghetocowboy mentioned he uses SATA RAID to boot with but not for data. I've never had RAID on a home PC. But he has me thinking of getting 2 of them $49.99 200GB Maxtors to do it with
              Last edited by jm1647; 28 Mar 2007, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• jm1647
                • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by NightTran
                I dont know if this is relate or not, I have 4 Sata drives, I can down load to one, convert with two and burn from the last one to one of my IDE burner at the same time and never have problem

Nice Running at 150 or 300 ?

Comment

• NightTran
                  King of Digital Video
                  King of Digital Video
                  • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by jm1647
                  Nice Running at 150 or 300 ?
                  they all are 300, I dont know how to do Raid
                  sigpic

Comment

• katzdvd
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Feb 2006

PCI/IDE add on cards, issues with BIOS/ buggy drivers. Don't worry about it 'till you cross that bridge
                    Cool Beans! I saw a card on Amazon that said IDE-Sata or Visa-Versa.. umm something card is THAT what the heck you guys are talking about?
                    Yeah, like that sorta. Gives you more available ports to work with, is the idea, but doesn't always go as planned, due to buggy drivers, lazy engineers, as Chewy says!
                    You say that now, but wait 'till the burning "bug" bites you full force!
                    If I told you my second job you'd go "well dayum" and I don't have no "burning Bug" just one movie and one copy at a time.. no dups needed
                    Now we are all wonderin'
                    So I am I to understand that IF later I Bought a sata larger drive it will work as a primary drive and can use it for the main/boot and the other 2 IDE HDs for back ups?
                    You can pretty much set it up how you want, BIOS settings, etc. The (2) 40 GB IDE's aren't very large for storage, but with 1 backup at a time, I guess that will work okay
                    Well Chewy turned you ON to the same Mo-Bo and CPU, there is no reason it should not work!?
                    We'll know in a week or so, when I get this thing up & running!
                    what do you do with all them printers?
                    Well, I use one for CD/DVD printing solely, one for "fast work" flyers, etc., & so on...
                    does it SOUND like I am OK with the selections I have made?
                    I am worried to death
                    It's all good I wouldn't sweat it; todays' components are so fast/good, & anything you assemble at home will probably out-perform a store bought pc that would total over $1000 or more
                    Last edited by katzdvd; 28 Mar 2007, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• katzdvd
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Feb 2006

Most of what we do with DVD's like ripping/burning, encoding/transcoding wouldn't benefit from the SATA II but booting from one I think would be nice. ghetocowboy mentioned he uses SATA RAID to boot with but not for data.
                      The bottleneck here is the mechanical aspect of the drive, not the interface, at least that is what I have learned on another forum. I guess a higher rotational speed would be of benefit.

Comment

• jm1647
                        • Apr 2005

The bottleneck here is the mechanical aspect of the drive, not the interface, at least that is what I have learned on another forum. I guess a higher rotational speed would be of benefit.
                        Yeah higher RPMS would be good too. I meant with the slow ripping of DVDs by the ripping burner/ROM and encoding/transcoding them slows the process down too. These new fangled high RPM, super duper Ultra 133, SATA I, SATA II HDDs got my head spinning

@ NightTran - all at 300 is nice

Comment

• NightTran
                          King of Digital Video
                          King of Digital Video
                          • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by jm1647
                          Yeah higher RPMS would be good too. I meant with the slow ripping of DVDs by the ripping burner/ROM and encoding/transcoding them slows the process down too. These new fangled high RPM, super duper Ultra 133, SATA I, SATA II HDDs got my head spinning

@ NightTran - all at 300 is nice
                          I had 150 in once ( wrong cable) but it slow other drive down so I took it off
                          sigpic

Comment

• katzdvd
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Feb 2006

Chewy - I received the Thermaltake "heatpipe" CPU cooler today. I am kinda wondering about all that weight hanging off the side of the CPU socket;

I mean, this thing weighs 1 1/2 lb., or very close to it - seems like a lot of weight to be pulling on that little soldered-in socket; what has been your experience with these?

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

don't drop the tower, it would probably bust off the socket

should be fine otherwise, which one did you get?

Comment

• katzdvd
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • Feb 2006

This one - it pulls the heat away from the cpu, instead of blowing on it.

I know the cooling solutions can be "heavy"; I once did an overclock "celeron sandwich" set-up that had heatsinks both sides/4 fans - that was a heavy sonofagun too! Looked something like this;

I was always concerned about that weight pulling on the delicate electronics of the mobo, & with the vibration of everything running...

Comment

Working...