Jake Wants a New Computer or to build one!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeBlues
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Dec 2006

Originally Posted by jm1647
    Edit - I'm old too

I'm not a gamer and don't watch my DVDs on the puter so I went on the cheap. At the time I ordered my video card and when I ordered this is what I got.

MSI NX6200LE-TD64E GeForce 6200 LE 256MB(64MB on Board) 128-bit PCI Express x16 Low Profile Video Card
    http://www.techonweb.com/products/pr...aspx?id=D47005
    OK I don't GET IT,
    it says "64 meg "ON-Board" but it's a 256 card.. how the heck does it work and what the heck does it mean?!
    ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!

Comment

• JakeBlues
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Dec 2006

Chewy.. I have a question (or 2 ... heh)
      OK, The first link the reviews all sucked! MORE than 1/2 were not happy with the card...
      The next 2 got MUCH better reviews and they are VERY close to each other and I read them but I don't understand the differences...
      There is not a HUGE price difference in them, so either one is acceptable.. i realize at THIS point I'm gonna have to PAY for a card no matter what.
      Please point out the good and the bad of each card and then let me know which one pans out.
      I haven't gamed in a LONG time... but my brother and a few friends are giving me something called "far cry" and "dawn of war" and a few others as a gift and I want them to work ok.
      (The only BS con about all this!??? I'll have a KICK ASS machine as far I am concerned, sure others will disagree but I AM THE ONE THAT WILL BE HAPPY! but where I freakin` live we only have the dial up option!!! No DSL no cable notta... sux man!)
      LOL
      Thanks for all your help!
      ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!

Comment

• JakeBlues
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Dec 2006

BTW.. sou that bizrate thing is kinda cool... not like pricewatch where the guys try to out do each other by like pennies at a time...

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

It was the first time I saw it last night & as far as I know everybody's pulling for you but the tech stuff, for now I leave to others.

Comment

• jm1647
            An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
            • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by JakeBlues
            OK I don't GET IT,
            it says "64 meg "ON-Board" but it's a 256 card.. how the heck does it work and what the heck does it mean?!
            Here's my shot at it - Like onboard video that uses system memory, the card has 64MB onboard and uses the rest from system memory.

EDIT - where I got it at, techonweb, it wasn't the cheapest price, the egg was a lil cheaper but OOS when I wanted to order it.

Comment

• doctorhardware
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2006

Jake, try checking out TigerDirect that is where I got my son's pci-e video card. It has 512mb of video ram on the card. I think I paid $99.00 for it.
              Last edited by doctorhardware; 31 Mar 2007, 02:21 PM.
              Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• katzdvd
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Feb 2006

I thought you kinda knew alot about computers... for a girl and all.

Comment

• JakeBlues
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Dec 2006

Chewy...
                  What is a SLI card isn't used like in SLI mode.. will it work with what I have?

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

sli cards just mean they work also in sli setups

I would make sure I had a pci express16 slot for it tho

Comment

• JakeBlues
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      • Dec 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
                      sli cards just mean they work also in sli setups

I would make sure I had a pci express16 slot for it tho
                      what the heck is that!?
                      never heard of it........

EDIT
                      ohhh here it is! My specs: YES it appears to have one! Whoo Hooo
                      OK now lemme guess.. that 16 "x" slot is a 16 times faster pci-e slot?
                      Correct? Is that the only difference between that and a normail pci slot?

<TABLE class=specification cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Model</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Brand</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('ASUS'));</SCRIPT>ASUS</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Model</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('A8V-VM SE'));</SCRIPT>A8V-VM SE</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Supported CPU</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>CPU Socket Type</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('Socket 939'));</SCRIPT>Socket 939</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>CPU Type</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('Athlon 64 / Sempron / Opteron'));</SCRIPT>Athlon 64 / Sempron / Opteron</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>FSB</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s)'));</SCRIPT>1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Chipsets</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>North Bridge</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('VIA K8M890'));</SCRIPT>VIA K8M890</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>South Bridge</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('VIA VT8237 A'));</SCRIPT>VIA VT8237 A</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Memory</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Number of Memory Slots</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('2×184pin'));</SCRIPT>2×184pin</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Memory Standard</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('DDR 400'));</SCRIPT>DDR 400</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Maximum Memory Supported</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('2GB'));</SCRIPT>2GB</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Dual Channel Supported</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('Yes'));</SCRIPT>Yes</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Expansion Slots</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>AGP Slots</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('None'));</SCRIPT>None</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>PCI Express x16</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('1'));</SCRIPT>1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>PCI Express x1</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('1'));</SCRIPT>1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>PCI Slots</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('2'));</SCRIPT>2</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Storage Devices</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>PATA</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('2 x ATA100 up to 4 Devices'));</SCRIPT>2 x ATA100 up to 4 Devices</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>SATA 1.5 Gb/s</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('2'));</SCRIPT>2</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>SATA RAID</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('0/1'));</SCRIPT>0/1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Onboard Video</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Onboard Video Chipset</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP'));</SCRIPT>S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Onboard Audio</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Audio Chipset</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('Realtek ALC660'));</SCRIPT>Realtek ALC660</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Audio Channels</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('6 Channels'));</SCRIPT>6 Channels</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Onboard LAN</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>LAN Chipset</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('Realtek 8201CL PHY'));</SCRIPT>Realtek 8201CL PHY</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Max LAN Speed</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('10/100Mbps'));</SCRIPT>10/100Mbps</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Rear Panel Ports</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>PS/2</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('2'));</SCRIPT>2</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>COM</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('1'));</SCRIPT>1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>LPT</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('1'));</SCRIPT>1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Video Ports</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('D-Sub'));</SCRIPT>D-Sub</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>USB</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('4 x USB 2.0'));</SCRIPT>4 x USB 2.0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Audio Ports</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('3 Ports'));</SCRIPT>3 Ports</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Onboard USB</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Onboard USB</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('2 x USB 2.0 connectors support 4 ports'));</SCRIPT>2 x USB 2.0 connectors support 4 ports</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Physical Spec</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Form Factor</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('Micro ATX'));</SCRIPT>Micro ATX</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Dimensions</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('9.6" x 8.0"'));</SCRIPT>9.6" x 8.0"</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Features</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Power Pin</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('24 Pin'));</SCRIPT>24 Pin</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Packaging</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Package Contents</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('A8V-VM SE
                      Driver Disk
                      User Manual
                      Rear I/O Panel Shield
                      IDE/PATA Cable
                      FDD Cable
                      SATA Cable
                      4-pin to SATA Power Cable'));</SCRIPT>A8V-VM SE
                      Driver Disk
                      User Manual
                      Rear I/O Panel Shield
                      IDE/PATA Cable
                      FDD Cable
                      SATA Cable
                      4-pin to SATA Power Cable</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                      Last edited by JakeBlues; 2 Apr 2007, 07:31 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

• katzdvd
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Feb 2006

PCI Express* x16 Graphics Interface
                        The PCI Express* x16 graphics interface, offered by the Intel® 925X, 915G and 915P Express chipsets, provides a solution for demanding usage models. The PCI Express x16 graphics interface delivers increased bandwidth and scalability over previous generation AGP8X-based solutions. With up to 4 GB/s of peak bandwidth per direction, and up to 8 GB/s concurrent bandwidth, a platform configured with a PCI Express x16 graphics card can tackle the most demanding multimedia tasks.
                        BTW, make sure you purchase the correct memory...
                        Number of Memory Slots 2×184pin
                        Memory Standard DDR 400
                        Maximum Memory Supported 2GB
                        Dual Channel Supported Yes

Comment

• JakeBlues
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          • Dec 2006

Originally Posted by katzdvd
                          BTW, make sure you purchase the correct memory...
                          I want to ask... what is duel channel memory (exactly) it sounds pretty self explaintory.. but ya never know!
                          TY KATZ!

Comment

• katzdvd
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Feb 2006

Dated, but still good info. - http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Memory/Dual-Channel/
                            Last edited by katzdvd; 2 Apr 2007, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

Last edited by Chewy; 2 Apr 2007, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• JakeBlues
                                Digital Video Enthusiast
                                Digital Video Enthusiast
                                • Dec 2006

This links are the same item...
                                But when you compare this with the satisfaction rate of most of the others.. not bad.... I guess if you want quality, you're gonna have to pay for it.

PS my wife just spent $350 at wal-mart and there were $50 worth of grocery on the shopping list we did together.... I think my budget allowance just went up!! (evil laughter)
                                ...how the HELL can anyone spend $300 dollars at wal-mart unless your buying a mower or something!? What the heck they selling KIAs now!?
                                Last edited by JakeBlues; 2 Apr 2007, 08:34 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Working...