X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DAFT
    Slightly Stupid
    • Aug 2004

Vista is killing me slowly

I haven't been in since FB season and sorry for that. I just got a dell dimension desktop and the thing was going great until today. I loaded a game on the new system and when complete it asked me to restart the system of which I imm complied. The problem was it never came back up. I have Vista home premium 32bit and the only thing I can get the fancy new paperweight to do is load into either the Boot device menu or the system setup menu. niether of these have let me do anything other than swear at the black screen of death. I have occasionally gotten it to let me into the F8 advanced settings and none of these have given me back the use of this thing. Help me please, I only got the thing to do games and V edits and Vista seems to have other ideas. You guys are the smartest people I know (at 3am ) and I need those massive brains to help me get at least to the DOS prompt. I'm dyin' over here.
    Thanks in advance,
    Andy aka DAFT
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    I'm Watching You!!!
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

It appears that when you loaded the game that it corrupted the Vista OS. Was the game Vista approved if not I would have not loaded that game. Do a system restore with the restore discs. I think that is the only way to get your computer running.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• DAFT
      Slightly Stupid
      • Aug 2004

thank you for the quick response.
      I have been trying that all day, it starts loading it then freezes. i have been seaching the net for hours with no success. hopefully the pool of IT pros we have will have at least run into this obstical. I'm so annoyed, I just got this thing and it's useless, only reason i'm running Vista is it came with the comp. I usually wait for all the bugs to get worked out. thanks again for your input, if you run across anything related i'd apreciate
      I'm Watching You!!!

Comment

• jm1647
        An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
        • Apr 2005

Wow, sounds like you might hafta get a DOS boot CD or floppy, or the HDD mfr install/utility program and format that bad boy and try a fresh install with the restore CD. I just received a free upgrade to Vista Home Basic from Compaq for a laptop I bought and its gonna stay in the envelope and I'm gonna stay with XP Home for a long, long time. Good Luck!!!!

Comment

• DAFT
          Slightly Stupid
          • Aug 2004

you see, this is what I get for buying direct from a major name company. The first time is the last time. if anyone hears anything about a work around on this little problem I'm having (should have flushed the money right down the toilet instead of to dell) please let me know.
          I'm Watching You!!!

Comment

• atifsh
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2003

i just repaired my vista home premium, i loaded some buggy xp drivers and it cany boot
            so i put vista dvd and boot frm it, it then gave me option to fix, i chose it and it scans stuff and , then gave option to restore to fix, and it did fix. i get the vista drivers now and everythings fixed.
            Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• petsbug
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Jan 2005

You said it's new isn't it?
              If i we're you i just get into Dell support ASAP and use the Guarantee. Let them fix the thing!
              -----------------------------------------
              DT: Burners: BenQ DVD CD DW1670 and 2 Philips DVD+- RW DVD 8701
              LT: Vista Premuim, HP Pavillion 9288ea

Comment

• DAFT
                Slightly Stupid
                • Aug 2004

I fixed the problem, this OS still sucks and I would direct you all to enjoy this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno
                everyone hold on to your XP as long as you can and I'm switching to Linux. thanks again for all your input.
                by the way, so anyone else that gets stuck with the Blue screen of death the answer could be as easy as unplugging your printer from the USB port (or all items except keyboard/mouse) god this OS is touchy
                Last edited by DAFT; 24 Mar 2007, 01:11 PM.
                I'm Watching You!!!

Comment

• jm1647
                  • Apr 2005

I'm gonna hang onto my upgrade disk, it might be the only one around soon and be a collector's item

Comment

• NightTran
                    King of Digital Video
                    King of Digital Video
                    • Aug 2005

If I buy new computer now I will make sure they have XP first
                    sigpic

Comment

• doctorhardware
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2006

Xp computers are getting harder to find, but mail order might be the best way. Also with Vista make sure that you go to the manufactures web sites to download Vista compatible drivers.
                      Last edited by doctorhardware; 25 Mar 2007, 04:33 PM.
                      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• NightTran
                        King of Digital Video
                        King of Digital Video
                        • Aug 2005

I heard that Vista you have to go with the premium something then it is better but not the home standard
                        sigpic

Comment

• jm1647
                          • Apr 2005

Looks like the license for Vista is downgradeable to XP in some cases depending upon the version

Comment

• petsbug
                            Gold Member
                            Gold Member
                            • Jan 2005

The Vista HOme they said was just comparable to XP home. It was advised to have Premium - Ultimate. I know a guy saying he is using a hacked Ultimate trial version, basically the 30 day trial code was freezed. Well, well, MS must be seething now. Though I read somewhere its only the Business &Interprise version has the working activation hack. Its an expensive exercise to upgrade to Vista as you are forced to buy new softwares to run on it. It SUCKS!!!!
                            -----------------------------------------
                            DT: Burners: BenQ DVD CD DW1670 and 2 Philips DVD+- RW DVD 8701
                            LT: Vista Premuim, HP Pavillion 9288ea

Comment

• atifsh
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • May 2003

no hack no crack no wareez. its in microsoft's vista documentation , "slmgr" with certain options can shift 30 days upto 1 year, and microsoft tells u how to do it....

then its 100% legal to use vista and office 2007 without cdkey. microsoft guys must be confused while making licence for vista.
                              Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...