Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Great choice-- I have a BFG 7900GT OC. Nvidia has far better Linux drivers than ATI.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• katzdvd
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Feb 2006

Exciting, isn't it?

I checked out Beryl on youtube, very interesting & neat stuff!

My only real concern is not being able to use programs that I am familiar with right away, since I have a lot of audio/video editing going on.

Nero, for example; I use the Coverdesigner a lot, even though it is sort of clunky ... now that I have learned how it works, I use it fairly often. I see there are DVD/CD burning apps. included with ubuntu, I will have to look them over more closely to understand what all is available.

What do you use for Antivirus/Firewall?

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

I checked out Beryl on youtube, very interesting & neat stuff!
        Actually works quite smoothly on older hardware that wouldn't be capable of running Aero in Vista. Flies on a Radeon 9250 and Geforce 5200.

What do you use for Antivirus/Firewall?
        LOL. Nothing needs to be done in this department. You are free to open any suspicious email attachments, no AV or spyware/adware checks needed. There is a firewall built into the kernel, it blocks incoming connections and allows outgoing. There is a nice GUI for it, FireStarter, if you wish to configure it.

My only real concern is not being able to use programs that I am familiar with right away, since I have a lot of audio/video editing going on.
        I think you'll find many apps are quite easy to use, but there are ways of running Windows apps. Wine is probably the easiest/quickest, but there is VMWare or QEMU which will more or less emulate Windows and run just about everything except games. Don't expect as high performance though, since it's essentially running an OS on top of an OS.

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

The folks at a couple of the linux forums I was browsing were talking about using different antivirus pgms., so I thought it was necessary.

I am sort of surprised that more people don't go for linux, esp., since the GUI now makes it easier.

I guess most, just like me, always heard about it, but never took the time to really look at it, plus, it is easier to get comfortable with the OS you are used to using, however insecure, obtrusive it may be!

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

The folks at a couple of the linux forums I was browsing were talking about using different antivirus pgms., so I thought it was necessary.
            Some folks have firewalls running so as not to unknowingly send a virus to a Windows PC over a network/Email. And then some are just paranoid.

Comment

• katzdvd
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Feb 2006

During Ubuntu install, at what point do you partition the hard drive?

If I would want to install windows at a later time, is that possible without re-installing everything? (Linux)

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

During Ubuntu install, at what point do you partition the hard drive?
                When you run it from the Live CD, there is an Install icon on the desktop. It will take you through all the steps, including partitioning.

If I would want to install windows at a later time, is that possible without re-installing everything? (Linux)
                Yes, it can resize/create/delete etc partitions, but I would just create a Windows partition during Ubuntu setup to save time and hassle.

Feisty 7.04 will (rather, is planned to) be released in two days...

Comment

• katzdvd
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Feb 2006

Interesting - The more I am reading, it seems that Linux can do all the things windows can't do, & in an easier, less convoluted fashion!
                  Feisty 7.04 will (rather, is planned to) be released in two days.
                  Sounds good - although I am usually not the first guy to run out & install a new pgm., but things may be different with Linux, than past experiences with windows software.

To my Windows brothers & sisters; I am not deserting the thought of windows altogether - after looking back over my posts, it may seem to some that I am directing "digs" at windows, which I am not!

That time will come soon enough, after I gain a little experience & time with my new found friend!

"Humanity to others" "I am what I am because of who we all are" (you figure it out!)

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

Sounds good - although I am usually not the first guy to run out & install a new pgm
                    Plenty of beta testing has taken place, and any showstopping bugs have been fixed. This release should be more stable than the previous. As for installing/uninstalling, there is no registry, dlls or malware so things won't get bogged down as quick as in Windows. Also any software you might obtain via Synaptic is deemd safe.

TBH the only things that bug me in Ubuntu are the fonts (MS's Tahoma font is a godsend), the default theme (don't particularly like the brown look) and the scale of everything, which can be reduced by lowering the DPI in font settings.
                    Last edited by anonymez; 17 Apr 2007, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• katzdvd
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Feb 2006

As for installing/uninstalling, there is no registry, dlls or malware so things won't get bogged down as quick as in Windows. Also any software you might obtain via Synaptic is deemd safe.
                      I guess the obvious question from this newbie is, how, why? How can this OS be so "clean" while windows needs registry, dlls, etc. to function?

Comment

• anonymez
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2004

They are just very different. Whereas Windows primarily uses the registry to store settings/application data, Linux uses /etc and config files in hidden directories in /home.

Comment

• BR7
                          He is coming to your little town!
                          • Aug 2005

I have Ubuntu 7.04 coming in the mail.I am going to give it another go and see if I can't get the dial up working for it.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• UncasMS
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by katzdvd
                            I guess the obvious question from this newbie is, how, why? How can this OS be so "clean" while windows needs registry, dlls, etc. to function?
                            unlike windows all those unix-based OS have different file storage or security concepts- be it linux or e.g. mac os

and because unix basics exist a little longer than windows, their basics are fairly well known and widespread and the community of users and testers will surely outnumber the few windows beta-testers

Comment

• soup
                              Just Trying To Help
                              • Nov 2005

I have to admit I am liking this thread & definitely getting interested in trying it out. I have a friend in the business who has been talking to me for a while now about using it but I think I have been going along with what I know something about rather than trying something brand new to me. Again, good interesting thread, thank you whether I change or not.

Comment

• katzdvd
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • Feb 2006

Whereas Windows primarily uses the registry to store settings/application data, Linux uses /etc and config files in hidden directories in /home.
                                Can/does those areas become corrupt/hosed, as with Windows? What exactly makes Linux "more secure" than other OS? It seems to me that with all the "open source" development going on, that it would be even easier for a hacker to exploit the system, even an inside job?
                                I have Ubuntu 7.04 coming in the mail.I am going to give it another go and see if I can't get the dial up working for it.
                                Is dialup a problem with Linux? Oh wait, BR7 you are still using dialup?!?! I thought I was way out there, but you must live out in the woods!

@ soup - why not download the pgm. & run the Live CD Vers.? That is what got me interested in it so much!

Comment

Working...