Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snagel
    • Apr 2006

password on content advisory

I just went in awhile ago to put a password in to keep my daughter off of myspace.com and limewire.com on my computer. I clicked on internet tools then internet options, then content etc. I put a password on the system and put the myspace and limewire site to not allow. It then made it so that I cannot even view MSN default page on internet explorer without typing the password. I had hopes that all it would block is myspace.com and limewire.com. It did but also blocked the MSN default page that comes up at first. How do I go about removing the password and remove the prompt for the password completely. I was able to disable but it still shows the hint for the password How do I remove it too
  • locoeng
    Who Farted?
    • Dec 2005

See if this is what you are after: http://www.pchell.com/support/contentadvisor.shtml

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
    Walt Kelly

Comment

• katzdvd
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Feb 2006

I tried working with those settings with my teen as well, but in the end went with another option. Parental filtering program; I use Cyberpatrol, but there are many out there. They are much more customizable that I.E. filter settings, that most kids today can probably get around anyway...

You can filter by age group/types of sites/chatguard & more. There are free trial versions avail. for download. I know this doesn't address you question directly, but I thought I would throw it out there as an option...

Good Luck!

Comment

• snagel
        • Apr 2006

locoeng that looks like it did get rid of the problem. I also got rid of the password hint and seems to be working fine. I did do a search but it did not find what you gave me. Thank you so very much

katzdvd, although this did not directly answer the question I am glad that you did throw out the option. I am happy for your response and appreciate your reply. Your response gives me options of how to take care of this.
        My daughter is almost 19 and everytime she comes to visit the first thing she wants to go into is Myspace.com she used to use limewire but I don't want those sites being entered NOT ON MY COMPUTER, ANYWAY! for the obvious reasons. Thank you for the replies that I received and it did help. snagel

Comment

• locoeng
          Who Farted?
          • Dec 2005

You are very welcome, glad you got it sorted.

If your daughter is old enough to not live at home, the she should be old enough to respect your wishes when you tell her not to go to the sites. Just my two cents....I've got a three year old I guess I'll learn how it is one of these days.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
          Walt Kelly

Comment

• snagel
            • Apr 2006

I agree with you whole heartedly about following my wishes. When I am not home is when I get really concerned.
            Last edited by snagel; 9 Jun 2007, 05:28 AM. Reason: less information

Comment

• locoeng
              Who Farted?
              • Dec 2005

I didn't mean to get personal with you, I'm sure I'll find out all about it in a few years...I'm not looking forward to it.

Walt Kelly

Comment

• uufta
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Dec 2005

With our MSN we have four log-ins with four different parental settings, the younger settings automatically keeps them off myspace.

Comment

• snagel
                  • Apr 2006

re locoeng

Originally Posted by locoeng
                  I didn't mean to get personal with you, I'm sure I'll find out all about it in a few years...I'm not looking forward to it.
                  No problem at all locoeng, I took no offense to it. I appreciate your help.
                  Last edited by snagel; 9 Jun 2007, 05:30 AM. Reason: less information

Comment

• snagel
                    • Apr 2006

re: Uufta

Originally Posted by uufta
                    With our MSN we have four log-ins with four different parental settings, the younger settings automatically keeps them off myspace.

So is it possible to do the same with Internet Explorer 7. Or is there a way to block it completely on that computer.

I have both MSN and IE7 . Most of the time my daughter only uses IE7.

I wouldn't mind putting the password in to block only those types of programs. Because of the virus possibilities.

Comment

• uufta
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Dec 2005

I dont know about IE7, maybe
                      We only allow access with MSN to everybody, with four diff accounts and parental settings are diff on all four, and can only be accessed with the main account (mine)
                      The kids get their own account w/their own password, but I made them check "remember password" so I can access their accounts readily.
                      I just told them they can only go on the internet by clicking on the the butterfly, not the "E"

Comment

• doctorhardware
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Dec 2006

All the web site filtering and the rating like pg-13 and game filtering like adult content is built into vista now.
                        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

many routers have filtering options as well to block sites defining a keyword or an URL

in addition to that it might come handy that many routers will also allow to define time frames to access the internet for different pcs connected to the router

Comment

• snagel
                            • Apr 2006

re: UncasMs

Originally Posted by UncasMS
                            many routers have filtering options as well to block sites defining a keyword or an URL

in addition to that it might come handy that many routers will also allow to define time frames to access the internet for different pcs connected to the router

I'll have to try the router method, because the other way doesn't work at all, for me anyway. I have tried that method at least a half dozen times. It don't work for me.

Comment

Working...