• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derree
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jul 2005

Windows updates screwed me

All right so there were some windows updates yesterday and after I installed them and restarted my pc for some reason I couldn't run any executables from the desktop or start menu..nothing not IE not Firefox, hell not even system restore..I had to go into safe mode and do a restore. I know it was the updates cause as an experiment I installed them again and the same thing happened...any ideas?
    sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
    good
    -------------------------------------------
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

I did all the updates, and things are working alright for me. Something on your computer must conflict with one of the updates ...
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Derree
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Jul 2005

hmmmm any ideas on what I should do admin...I gotta admit to not even ever looking to see what the updates are...I just do them..what was in this batch?
      sigpic

good

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

I think this is the list:

Attached Files
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

Shutdown automatic updates, restore to before the updates were installed. Go to Windows update & custom search, download & install the updates one at a time until you find the one that is messing you up. Go to Microsoft & see if a fix is mentioned, if there is fix it & turn back on automatic updates when you are done. If there isn't I am out of ideas.
          Last edited by soup; 17 Aug 2007, 06:00 AM.

Comment

• Derree
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Jul 2005

Yeah thats what I thought I would have to do..looks like I have a long afternoon in front of me
            sigpic

good

Comment

• SBN
              • Jan 2005

Your not alone on this. I know of 2 people besides myself that did the latest rounds of updates only to have serious problems. For me it took several reboots, kept crashing before log in screen. Finally I was able to load up Windows, and everything seems fine. Some people have reported that devices such as printers, external drives, etc.. needed to be re-installed. Others reported that that after reboot they could not load Windows at all. Unfortunately at this point nobody knows which update is the culprit, if it is a specific one.

I must confess though that I really did not pay specific attention to what each individual patch was for. I usually just deal with any security fixes, which all were listed as, and save the "enhancements for another day (like for IE7-when hell freezes over).

Anyways, you might want to seriously consider using something like Acronis True Image, or some other disk imaging software to take a snapshot of your current system. In the event Windows becomes really screwed up, saves more time just to restore an image than to muck around spending hours trying to fix something that quite possibly no solution will be found.

Comment

• ed klein
                Banned
                • Mar 2004

This is the plan of attack (POA) I use for downloading and installing Microsoft updates on Microsoft Tuesday. It has worked in the past and appears to be working today. I had 9 updates last Tuesday and have been using IE-7 since the begining.

1. Use a good registry cleaner and clean out the registry before and after the updates. (normally clean out the registry 3 times per week)

2. Use the software program CC Cleaner once per day.

3. Reboot and average of once per day.

4. Defrag and check disk the hard drive for errors 3 times per week.

5. Anti virus and spam check once per day

6. Always have firewall running when on line.

7. Create restore points once per week

8. Use Acronis backup and create their ISO image of the hard drive once per month if the hard drive is lost for any reason.

9. Backup my software programs on CD-R once per month to save time if the hard drive is completely lost.

Comment

• blutach
                  Not a god of digital video
                  • Oct 2004

For a couple of days, I experience issues with "AutomaticLiveUpdate.exe has expericed a serious error and needs to close". Hopefully, it was isolated.

Regards
                  Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                  [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

Originally Posted by ed klein
                    This is the plan of attack (POA) I use for downloading and installing Microsoft updates on Microsoft Tuesday. It has worked in the past and appears to be working today. I had 9 updates last Tuesday and have been using IE-7 since the begining.

1. Use a good registry cleaner and clean out the registry before and after the updates. (normally clean out the registry 3 times per week)

2. Use the software program CC Cleaner once per day.

3. Reboot and average of once per day.

4. Defrag and check disk the hard drive for errors 3 times per week.

5. Anti virus and spam check once per day

6. Always have firewall running when on line.

7. Create restore points once per week

8. Use Acronis backup and create their ISO image of the hard drive once per month if the hard drive is lost for any reason.

9. Backup my software programs on CD-R once per month to save time if the hard drive is completely lost.

ed, how do you back up ur software programs on a cd-r? i'd like to do that w/my burning n other apps. i use for digital video or music. can you put them together on 1 cd-r or do u have to use a separate 1 for each app.? w/e's the method what's the procedure? i have no clue about this. i only put music on cd-r's. thnx.
                    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• ed klein
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2004

@dr ml422

Any software burning program should work. I just happen to use MusicMatch Plus for the 49 executable programs on this computer. I burn all 49 executable programs in data format to a 700mb CD-R disk, just load the 49 executable files to the 700mb CD-R disk and burn. It is just quicker and easier to have the 49 executable programs on one disk than having to go back to the 49 different websites to download the executables if you loose the hard drive. Just keep the 49 executables (files) up to date on your hard drive and download to the 700mb CD-R disk once per month.

99% of the time I use Imgburn for the DVD 5 (4.7gb) and DVD 9 (8.5 gb) to burn my videos. Generally for a 2 hour movie or less I will use a blank DVD 5 disk with minor or no compression. Anything over a 2 hour movie goes on a DVD 9 disk with no compression at all. I prefer movie only on my blank back-up disks.

Too early for me to burn Blu-ray and HD DVD blank disks to work properly on a standalone player. For me it is not cost effective at this time, still many hi def problems have to be worked out.
                      Last edited by ed klein; 25 Nov 2007, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Dec 2006

I had I think like 10 update that I have down loaded the other day and had no problems. Then I had a video driver update yesterday, I had to restore my laptop 5 times yesterday, finally the last time I downloaded the drive it was fine. When I would scroll down on a web page the screen would go blank for 2 seconds, never figured out why.
                        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

driver updates are dangerous fom microsoft, they should give up and throw in the towel
                          on then

they have screwed me up 2 or 3 times, I haven't allowed them to update hardware for over a year

if it ain't broke they will break it, video drivers are especially touchy

Comment

• doctorhardware
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Dec 2006

I did have some other video problems that have now been fixed with the update. I would have some freezing of the video while playing movies on the laptop, tried two other media players, all had the freezing of the video. That is gone now. Only time will tell if I made the right choice.
                            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

trying to fix video problems, it's better to find new drivers from the manufacturer, then remove the old ones and update to the new ones, removing the old ones is the hard part

about as bad as removing malware

Comment

Working...