possible to lighten a .gif with Adobe CS2?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

possible to lighten a .gif with Adobe CS2?

i have one that is dark, is it possible to lighten with imageready or photoshop in one step instead of doing all the frames individually?
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

• benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

Aloha LT. Columbo

Great to see you again

I have only Photoshop 7.0 and hope that both versions come with same settings. Here is what I do to brighten the .gif files:

1- Open the .gif file in ImageReady

2- Select any frame, go to Images > Adjustments > Levels...(Ctrl+L) and brighten it as you like (I prefer Levels to Brightness/Contrast. But please choose the one that works best for you)

3- Go to Layer and select Match...(Ctrl+M). On the Match Layer window, select "All Rollovers" and make sure that "Layer Position", "Layer Visibility", and "Layer Style" options on the same Match Layer window are selected.

4- Click OK to apply and then save the file

Since I don't have Photoshop CS2 to test to compare. I just hope that it will work for you. Aloha

Regards,
    Last edited by benbryant; 25 Apr 2008, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• blutach
      Not a god of digital video
      • Oct 2004

Great to see both of you again!!!

Regards
      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by benbryant
        Aloha LT. Columbo

Great to see you again

I have only Photoshop 7.0 and hope that both versions come with same settings. Here is what I do to brighten the .gif files:

1- Open the .gif file in ImageReady

2- Select any frame, go to Images > Adjustments > Levels...(Ctrl+L) and brighten it as you like (I prefer Levels to Brightness/Contrast. But please choose the one that works best for you)

3- Go to Layer and select Match...(Ctrl+M). On the Match Layer window, select "All Rollovers" and make sure that "Layer Position", "Layer Visibility", and "Layer Style" options on the same Match Layer window are selected.

4- Click OK to apply and then save the file

Since I don't have Photoshop CS2 to test to compare. I just hope that it will work for you. Aloha

Regards,
        hey good to see you too, ty for the help it seems my copy has all the same settings as you mentioned. it seems to brighten all the frames, because i can see it down below on the left on the "animation" window. when i go to "save as" it saves as a .psd file. however when i open the .psd file imageready made in photoshop, i can see on the bottom right on the "layers" tab that only the one frame i lightened is in fact lightened. so it's ligthening all the frames in imageready, i just don't know how to save it as a new .gif. i'm sure i'm just saving something wrong.

Originally Posted by blutach

Regards
        likewise
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by blutach

Regards
          Ditto.

Comment

• benbryant
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Aug 2005

Aloha LT. Columbo

Please accept my humble apology for suggesting wrongly about using the "Match" to apply the Levels command to all the frames in ImageReady. After checking the software carefully, I realized that I couldn't brighten one frame and then apply it to all the frames at one time. In fact, I had to select one layer at a time and then adjust it with the Levels command individually. It is not bad if only a few frames but really time consuming for doing a large file with many frames. My suggestion is that, if you still want to use the Levels command for brightening, after adjusting the Levels to one layer, remember the input settings that you adjust, and then apply the same input settings to all other layers so that you will have the same brightness in all the frames. After getting everything done the way you like, save the file without modifying the original file, please select "Save Optimized As..." (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S) and save as the .GIF file. To do that, you still have the original one untouched in case. Once again, please forgive me for the inaccurate suggestion

Regards,

Comment

• paglamon
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

Another suggestion:
              Select any one frame. Create a NEW ACTION by recording the desired changes made to that frame(e.g. adjusting brightness). Assign a function key (say F12) to the action. Now go on selecting each frame with your mouse and applying the action to that frame with F12. You will still have to manually select every frame,but at least you will not have to make the adjustments everytime.
              Last edited by paglamon; 26 Apr 2008, 02:57 PM.
              sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• paglamon
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2005

Yet another way:
                Open your file in IR. Create an action droplet(involving the changes you need to make to the brightness,hue etc.). Save the droplet in Desktop.Now export all the frames of the GIF as separate images into a new folder in Desktop. Now drag the new folder upon the droplet icon. All the images in the folder will now have taken up the changes. Now open these changed images in IR and save as animated GIF.
                sigpic

Comment

• benbryant
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Aug 2005

@paglamon

My ImageReady version 7.0 allows applying the adjustments such as Levels, Brightness/Contrasts to any other layers by selecting the layer and then using the shortcut Ctrl+F to apply without going through the adjustment every time. I did check my friend 's ImageReady CS2, the shortcut Ctrl+F only available to Filters, not the adjustments though. Therefore, creating the Action would be handy as you suggested

Reagrds

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

no problem ben. i can't believe this fancy shmancy software can't even do this so easily lol. i appreciate all the help. i tried to find the procedures for your two suggestions paglamon, might you be able to expand on them? i'm willing to give this a shot.

Originally Posted by soup
                    Ditto.
                    hey soup
                    Columbo moments...

Comment

• paglamon
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Aug 2005

1st Method:

1. Open the GIF in IR CS2.
                      2. Make sure that the Actions Window is open by ticking Actions under Window.
                      3. Select any frame and click on the object image in main window.
                      4. Now in the Actions window, click on the icon for "Create new action".
                      5. The New Action window comes up. Give a name e.g. pagla and assign a Function Key e.g F12. Then press Record.
                      5. Now do your adjustments to the image i.e brightness,contrast,hue , saturation etc.
                      6. Once you are satisfied with the adjustments click on the Stop playing/recording button in the Actions window.
                      7. You will now see under Actions an action called pagla and under it the changes you have made to the image.
                      8. Now select each frame singularly and the image of that frame, and hit F12(the function key you assigned to the action). The frames will change accordingly.
                      9.Then File/Save optimized as. GIF.
                      sigpic

Comment

• paglamon
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Aug 2005

2nd Method:

1.Create a new action as in Ist Method.
                        2.On the Actions palette ,click on the small triangular icon at the extreme right to bring up various options.
                        3. Select Batch options. Under Save tick Optimized and then In and specify the folder for your output files , say Columbo.. Click OK.
                        4.Again click that small triangular icon and select Create Droplet and save it to Desktop.
                        5.Now select File and Export animation frames as files to another new folder at Desktop, say Original.
                        6.Drag the Folder named Original upon the droplet icon on desktop and the optimized files will now have been saved in the Columbo folder.
                        7.In IR, File/Import/Folder as frames and select the Columbo folder.
                        8.Then File/Save optimized as GIF.
                        sigpic

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

ty paglamon, i haven't had time for this until now, will try it out today and post my results

ty again
                          Columbo moments...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

alright, 1st method works great

tonight i'm going to try the other, see you soon
                            ty very much!
                            Columbo moments...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                              Demigod of Digital Video
                              • Nov 2004

ok, i tried method 2 and seems straight forward but the only thing is in the final step when i import the frames they load in ok, but several are out of order, yet in the folder they come from they are numbered right and in the proper order. adobe for some reason is mixing the order up a bit on this stage. i tried it two times. other than that it works, nice to not have to click each frame to change it. i never would have figured this stuff out in a million years! very impressive

to ben and paglamon, ty both
                              Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...