X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

As long as they are going to the same connections on the mainboard, do the colors matter?

Comment

• browneye
      jack of all trades - master of some
      • Mar 2007

you would think not, except they are not all the same voltage or sensing connections.

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

The colors represent different voltages. For instance the black wire is your ground and the red wire is your 5Vdc. So if the colors are different, it may mean that it does not correlate to the standard wiring if red is 3.3 you will fry the motherboard. Unfortunately when companies like HP, they will do odd ball things, like having non-standard wiring for a power supply. The companies will do this in order to charge a unreasonable price for the needed part.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

having non-standard wiring for a power supply
          That is true, I wasn't thinking of that. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to test each pin & record the voltage so you could correlate it to a standard hookup. I wasn't aware that a company did this, as it would have to be compliant with that particular mainboard only.

Course, what is "standard" these days?!?
          Last edited by katzdvd; 5 Jun 2008, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• browneye
            • Mar 2007

I would like to find out which pins to jump to turn on the power supply and check each pin.

Comment

• doctorhardware
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2006

There is a green wire, jump this wire to ground. This will turn on the power supply. But to do it right you should have an atx power supply tester. It place a load on the power supply to keep the output at a stable level. Short the green to ground at your own risk.

Comment

• katzdvd
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Feb 2006

Thank God for this thread! I was going to swap a spare PS that I had lying around into my main pc that I am suspecting may be giving me PS issues, but the old spares that I have are all pulled from Dell pc's.

The wiring is definantly color coded different than "normal". I can't believe I never came across that before. Guess I was just plain lucky that I never really did any ps/mainboard work on a dell, or that could have been a real problem.

Comment

• browneye
                  • Mar 2007

Nope, grounding the green didn't work.

Comment

• browneye
                    • Mar 2007

it's the white pin14

Comment

• doctorhardware
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2006

On the standard wired ATX power supplies it is the green wire that you short to ground to see if the power supply will start up. Well Katz that is a good thing. If you need one I have several lying around, I can send you one if you like. Just let me know, It will be my pleasure. It will at least let you know if it is the power supply.

Comment

• browneye
                        • Mar 2007

yes, the green on the standard ATX but also in pin 14, that is why I tried the white wire in pin 14. all the other wires seem to checkout @ the correct voltage for the pin location. has to be some other wire not allowing it to run this machine i'm playing around with.

Comment

Working...