Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonysmith1929
    • Nov 2005

backup.

Hi friends,(including all those that seem to have gone absent) and happy christmas to you all.
    My poor old PC has now been plodding along quite well for 5 years now, and still seems OK, but am thinking this cant last much longer. As I have an original HP backup on : I am wondering if it would be practical to fit another internal HD and load this from :, or alternatively from the DVD copy of :, hoping that XP would not then need re authenticating as it would still be same mobo etc. Am I right and is this practical ?????
    I could then switch some of my most used programs to the new disc at my leisure, leving the least used to be run from original :C: HD.
    Any ideas or variations greatfully received, and thanks..
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

do you intedn to change hardware or not?
    a major change of hardware and you will have to authenticate windows again

Comment

• tonysmith1929
      • Nov 2005

backup

Change anything.......NO. ADD one HD......Yes.
      If I succeed I cant think XP will even notice ??????

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

edit: ok just re-read your post. You want to add a drive and have the sytem run from the new hopefully faster HD? I wouldn't depend on the restore mechanism working. Just stick the new HD in and use either a clone app or an image backup app like Macrium Reflect, Acronis, or that WD utility that's a chopped down Acronis. As long as the software supports your HD controller you should be good.

I would delete the restore partition and all that jazz once you have the new HD running and just use it as storage. I'm sure the factory restore stuff is all hard wired and won't work(at least 90% sure anyway) once stuff is loading from a different physical drive. And anyway, why would you want to trash all your modfications and installed programs?

As long as the new drive that boots is seen as the same drive letter as before all your programs and stuff should work.

There should be guides online how to clone using particular free software packages.
        Last edited by MilesAhead; 4 Dec 2009, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• tonysmith1929
          • Nov 2005

backup

Thanks Miles Ahead. So you think it better to use a normal backup ?? Already got a Macrium Reflect copy on external HD for a full restore, but was hoping to re load a new HD with just regularly used progs, and keep lesser used bits on the old/or another disc. Detaching these from a full reload may be difficult. Maybe will try the sorting part first and do another Macrium on whats left.....Thanks anyway....

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

If all you have is the pre-installed OS set up with no install CD or DVD then afaik the only way to get the OS onto the new HD is to clone or restore to it. That way Windows is already activated. But I haven't done it myself yet so it's just from what I read.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Use the Acronis from WD and clone your drive. It'll keep everything intact, and then you could just delete w/e you don't want anyway. I think the Acronis from WD lets you clone. It'll pnp your new drive like it was there from the beginning.

Tony, I know your old school, but at some point you're better off taking the plunge to Windows 7 and I'd also suggest 64 bit also. Matter of time b4 64 becomes standard. How long it doesn't matter, as 64 bit 7 also accepts 32 bit apps.

Listen to Miles also, he's a experienced user of Hp, and their recovery stuff etc...
              SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• tonysmith1929
                • Nov 2005

Thanks to you all for suggestions,plenty to think about now !!!! Happy Xmas....

Comment

• gonwk
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2005

I have not used any of these Imaging tools ... but here is an interesting post on Acronis WD Edition ... http://forum.acronis.com/de/forum/3956

G!

Comment

• doctorhardware
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Dec 2006

I have the current edition of True Image 2010 which is win 7 version. It is nice to have when playing around with upgrading the OS. Or when I do edit the registry and mess up, all I have to do is to install the drive that I put the image on.
                    Last edited by doctorhardware; 6 Dec 2009, 01:03 PM.
                    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• gonwk
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2005

Hi Doc,

I might have to start getting my hands dirty ... I just downloaded the Macrium Reflect FREE version ... when I have a chance will play with it!

G!

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by gonwk
                        Hi Doc,

I might have to start getting my hands dirty ... I just downloaded the Macrium Reflect FREE version ... when I have a chance will play with it!

G!
                        That's a nice software. Even though I have Macrium Reflect 4.2 full version on my Vista64 machine, I put the new free version on my Windows 7 system. The new free version updated the Linux Rescue CD to the same one I got with the 4.2 paid edition. It had no problem at all with my HP AMD Raid controller. Unless you have a really exotic HD controller, it should work fine.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2007

Well. now we know a lil about the WD Acronis free Edition. I have the new 1 as well and just clone and PnP.

Miles, thnx for confirming the Macrium Free Version and how it's working. Now gonwk, and the others know what's available and how far you can take it.
                          SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...