Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • techreactor
    Banned
    • Jul 2005

I have started using 8x speeds from the earlier 4x and let me say that the playbacks are good and without any problems and thats what matters.

Comment

• Mike89
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • May 2005

I don't need to look at test results. That's like gamers who look at nothing but the fps counter and lose focus on how the game plays.

I simply go by how the movies play and look. I have not seen any issues with the speeds I was using vs always burning at 4x.

I have seen issues relating to burn speeds. Like a movie not copying right, glitching, not playing on some players, etc. I just have not seen them since running at max with 16x media. Like I said, the highest I got was 12/13x and the whole DVD certainly does not burn all the way at that speed. Actually it's a relatively small part that actually gets up to that speed (according to watching the speeds when burning with DVD Decrypter).
      I7 920 @ 3.5 gig (ThermalRight U120E 1366 RT Heatsink), Asus P6T, 3x1024 Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 280, NEC 90GX2, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, Lite-on IHAS4228 SATA DVD R/W, Pioneer DVR-216D SATA DVD R/W, LG GH22NS30 SATA DVD R/W, 2 WD 640 gig (32 meg cache) SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig SATA External HDD (eSata), Winfast USB2 TV Tuner, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows XP Pro

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by copyless
        @ Mike89, Have you actually ran tests on the disc, like Nero CDSpeed, or are you going on the basis that they play? Although I am not a believer in the burn at 4x rule, I am also not a believer in the burn at max speed either. I have ran several test on several different brands of media, in both + and -R formats. My worst results came at 4x, and 16x. My best and most consistent results came at 8x, and on a select few MID's 12x. These being tested with Nero CD/DVD Speed. Now this is with my setup, and my burner, others may vary. But I am curious to see some of your test results at the max burn speed.

very good post, you've got it figured out now

My first trial with the new ImgBurn made a coaster at max speed setting.
        I hate that setting!

Comment

• Mike89
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • May 2005

My first trial with the new ImgBurn made a coaster at max speed setting.
          I hate that setting!
          Whatever works I guess. All I'm saying is this is working for me and until it causes some problems, I'll continue doing what I'm doing. I just haven't seen any negative effects from it yet (and have burned quite a few disks).
          Last edited by Mike89; 8 Aug 2006, 04:18 AM.
          I7 920 @ 3.5 gig (ThermalRight U120E 1366 RT Heatsink), Asus P6T, 3x1024 Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 280, NEC 90GX2, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, Lite-on IHAS4228 SATA DVD R/W, Pioneer DVR-216D SATA DVD R/W, LG GH22NS30 SATA DVD R/W, 2 WD 640 gig (32 meg cache) SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig SATA External HDD (eSata), Winfast USB2 TV Tuner, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows XP Pro

Comment

• NightTran
            King of Digital Video
            King of Digital Video
            • Aug 2005

dont craw, just walk or walk fast but do not run
            sigpic

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

I don't look at test results either. As long as they play fine that is all that counts. I had some +RW's that had CRC errors. They played fine and even copied the files ok to the hard disk.

I have also had great success with Ritek D01's. Some people think there are rubbish. They are not. It just requires the right hardware. I do agree that Verbatims DL are even better.

I still don't burn faster than 4x and burn at 2x most of the time. I still have plenty of Ritek G04's which are no longer made. Even, when the time comes, and I have to use 8x discs. I will still burn at 4x max. I have had not one single SL coaster in over three years. I had one DL coaster but it was my fault.

Comment

• codajohn
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Jul 2005

I did a quality scan of my first burn @4x with updated Imgburn. I had 75 less ip failures. Almost under 200.
                CJ
                My DVD Collection
                Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning

Comment

• Mike89
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • May 2005

I did a quality scan of my first burn @4x with updated Imgburn. I had 75 less ip failures. Almost under 200.
                  Uh dude. I don't even know what that means. Heh heh.

I just make the dam things and play them. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Heh heh.

Maybe I'm neanderthal (my wife says I am, uhrrrrrrrrrrr).
                  Last edited by Mike89; 8 Aug 2006, 04:30 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

And they will keep playing for a while after you can't put them back on the hard drive, some dvd's last a while, others die fairly quickly.

Comment

• codajohn
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by Mike89
                      Uh dude. I don't even know what that means. Heh heh.

I just make the dam things and play them. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Heh heh.

Maybe I'm neanderthal (my wife says I am, uhrrrrrrrrrrr).
                      No worries! I like to check now and then.
                      CJ
                      My DVD Collection

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Comment

• Mike89
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • May 2005

And they will keep playing for a while after you can't put them back on the hard drive, some dvd's last a while, others die fairly quickly.
                        And you would attribute that to the speed of the burn? I would think that would be more related to the physical quality of the media itself, temperature, scratches, storing practices, etc.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

when you scan a burn you get a picture of it's quality, then you can quit theorizing about such things, 16x burns with great burners and great media can crap out at the end of the burn and higher speed, a speck of dust shows on the scan, some disks like ritek G05's go bad in months, most are fairly stable. I have pretty much culled out every marginal burn and can copy on the fly at 8x from them, before 1 in 4 gave an error at 4x. Some of my 2 year old burns started having problems on iffy players, they played fine when I burned them.

the good, the bad and the ugly
                          Last edited by Chewy; 8 Aug 2006, 05:42 AM.

Comment

• codajohn
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Jul 2005

@chewy reburned? http://forum.digital-digest.com/atta...5&d=1147440419
                            The ugly?
                            CJ
                            My DVD Collection

Comment

• Mike89
                              Digital Video Enthusiast
                              Digital Video Enthusiast
                              • May 2005

Here is a screenshot of a disk burned at max.

I have no idea what I'm looking at so if someone cares to enlighten me of the errors of my ways.

Here is the same movie when the CD Speed set to maximum.
                              Last edited by Mike89; 8 Aug 2006, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• LIGHTNING UK!
                                Author of ImgBurn
                                • Dec 2001

The quality score of 0 is pretty much all you need to look at there!

The top half of the window should have plotted points no higher than 280 or something.

The lower half is supposed to be around 18 I believe.

You can take that as green = good, red = bad.

You are burning CMC discs though, so that's pretty much the kind of awful scan one would expect.
                                The Official ImgBurn Website

Comment

Working...