IMGBurn Error burning multiple movies (in queue)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

You should have just left the optical drives on the card - which I believe I may have told you in the crossposted thread over at my forum.
    LUK - the issue I was discussing on your forum was slightly different than what we are addressing here.

The card you're running DOES use a Silicon Image 680 chipset so it's fine for optical drives.
    FYI - My son plays all the sims games, he's big into all that, & those games & others will not play when the game cds are placed into the drives that are connected to this controller card, but they will play when placed into drives that are connected to the IDE on the mobo. (on IDE 2)

@ Chewy - here is my situation;

1. SATA drive will not boot to windows when the IDE drives are connected to the controller card. That is when I get the NTLDR message.

the pata drives were hooked up when you installed windows?
    They were; they were connected to the mobo.

Bottom line - as long as the pata drives are connected to the mobo, all will boot ok. But, if I try to move them to the pci card, & put the optical drives on the mobo, that is when the sys. will not boot.

However, with the optical drives on the card, I cannot burn with "queue" in IMGBurn - back to my initial problem!

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

if the system boots with the sata drive when the pata drives are disconnected, then go into bios and turn off "boot other device", reboot then shut down.
      hook up the patas to the controller card

make sure the sata is the only drive set with boot priority in bios

to make the card work you have to use a non-raid firmware and drivers for it.
      make sure the card's bios is not setting those drives as boot

Comment

• katzdvd
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Feb 2006

go into bios and turn off "boot other device",
        It was enabled in BIOS, I disabled it now.
        make sure the sata is the only drive set with boot priority in bios
        Done

to make the card work you have to use a non-raid firmware and drivers for it.
        make sure the card's bios is not setting those drives as boot
        I will look into that. This part is confusing for me, because I have little experience with these cards.

BTW, do you still think that there are old boot files hiding somewhere on the pata drives?

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

BTW, do you still think that there are old boot files hiding somewhere on the pata drives?
          most definitely, if you ever want to get rid of them ask first tho.

flashing the card is an iffy proposition with that rosewill card if it's using a non-standard epprom.
          Last edited by Chewy; 8 Nov 2006, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• katzdvd
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Feb 2006

most definitely, if you ever want to get rid of them ask first tho.
            Well, I do want to get all the junk off the drives that isn't supposed to be there. I simply want to use these drives as audio/video edit & storage. I thought that if I wiped/shredded the drives & then formatted them, that would take care of it.

It has been so long ago, I can't honestly remember if I did that to both of them; I know I did wipe/shred one, for sure. What do you suggest to do to get them "squeaky clean"?

flashing the card is an iffy proposition with that rosewill card if it's using a non-standard epprom.
            I will do that as a last resort, if I absolutely can't get things ironed out any other way...

Comment

• Abuilder
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Oct 2006

Katz
              I'll bet that if you SCRAP that Rosewill RAID and replace it with a card that is more suitable for what you are trying to do all your problems, including the NTLDR error will disappear.
              Hint: PROMISE ultra133 TX2 (no RAID) and directly supports up to 4 optical or hard drives in it's own bootable or not bios.
              $30
              They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• katzdvd
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Feb 2006

Well, after spending most of the day trying to get this worked out, I decided to put things back the way they were. I could not get the BIOS update to work for the card. Read all the info. on how to do it, & I guess at this point I am suffering from info. overload, because whatever I tried, it just wouldn't work!

BIOS update, even the driver file update I couldn't get to work. So to make it easy, I just put the pata drives back on mobo IDE1, & the (2) 1655's on the controller card. I ripped a couple of movies & burned one, & all seems to be working ok. Maybe if I feel like taking on a challenge in the future, I may tackle this again at some point. Thanks to all for the assistance!

@ chewy, sorry I didn't get those pata drives off the mobo & on the card like you wanted - please don't pull out my arms

...Odd thing is why I get that NTLDR message when the pata drives are on the card, but not when they are connected to the mobo...

Comment

• LIGHTNING UK!
                  Author of ImgBurn
                  • Dec 2001

The reason the Sims games won't work is because they're protected and must be run from an IDE drive. Once on the IDE controller card they register as SCSI devices - hence they won't work.

When you move your drives off the motherboard controller you're moving their location within the system buses. As such you have to update the boot.ini with the correct multi, disk, rdisk values for the place you've moved them to. The OS won't find NTLDR until the boot.ini is correct and pointing at the right controller, drive, partition etc.

Don't worry about the flashing, it'll either work or not work. I got my card off ebay for £10 - it hardly even has a name on it. I flashed it before I did anything else with it and that turned out just fine
                  The Official ImgBurn Website

Comment

• katzdvd
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Feb 2006

Hi LUK,

Thanks for all the info., I appreciate it!
                    When you move your drives off the motherboard controller you're moving their location within the system buses. As such you have to update the boot.ini with the correct multi, disk, rdisk values for the place you've moved them to. The OS won't find NTLDR until the boot.ini is correct and pointing at the right controller, drive, partition etc.
                    I didn't think all that really applied here, since I am only using these 2 pata drives for storage.
                    My C drive is a SATA drive.

Comment

• LIGHTNING UK!
                      Author of ImgBurn
                      • Dec 2001

My apologies, I got caught up in the whole thing of PATA drives and just assumed they were your main ones.

Maybe your board reassigns numbers based on what's connected and so the SATA interface is moving up/down in the chain when you disconnect stuff from elsewhere.

Anyway, if you're leaving it as it was, you don't need to worry about that stuff!

Comment

• yankinNcrankin
                        • Nov 2005

Yeah the queue feature is awesome, I usually queue about 5 ISO titles at a time, after the 1st burn it ejects then all I do is drop another blank media in and the next image starts flawlessly. I set the auto detect to 1 sec so I dont have to wait 10 sec......

Comment

• katzdvd
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Feb 2006

Yeah the queue feature is awesome, I usually queue about 5 ISO titles at a time, after the 1st burn it ejects then all I do is drop another blank media in and the next image starts flawlessly
                          I have 4 burners; my original intention was to load all 4 w/ blank discs, queue IMGBurn, come back later & all is done!
                          I haven't got that far yet, but will soon!

Comment

• locoeng
                            Who Farted?
                            • Dec 2005

I have used the queue feature with multiple drives in the past and it works great. Today I had all five discs of Band of Brothers queued up spread out among the drives and the first burn went without a hitch...then the second drive produced the "cannot lock for exclusive access" error. Clicked continue and the burn went fine, the third disc back on the beginning drive kicked out the same error again and the following ISO's in the queue reverted to the first drive and all others after that. Each one gave the error, but burned fine.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                            Walt Kelly

Comment

• LIGHTNING UK!
                              Author of ImgBurn
                              • Dec 2001

So if you just fixed the 'exclusive access' problem, it would be perfect for you

Unless you were half expecting it to error out (i.e. you had a program open that uses the drives), you should use Process Explorer to find which program has a 'handle' open to them already - then kill it!

Comment

• locoeng
                                Who Farted?
                                • Dec 2005

There shouldn't be any other program holding the drive...but I'll check into it. AnyDVD was disabled and I closed DVDFab, but maybe it was still open in the background. I got the same error later doing a single movie. All 6 burns worked good aside of the error. And the program is perfect BTW. Keep up the good work. What I'd like to see in the future is a way to use the queue integrated into build mode because most of my rips come from DVDFab.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                                Walt Kelly

Comment

Working...